Username: Password:

Author Topic: Seymour Duncan 59  (Read 1933 times)

Offline zipperhead2010

• View Profile
Seymour Duncan 59
« on: March 31, 2010, 11:47:55 AM »
Ok what pickup is this exactly? If you check SD's website they have 59 model SH-1 and TB59, I am guessing it's the SH-1? Looking to switch my neck pickup to something more blue type. Also does splitting the outer coils really make a huge difference in sound compared to inner coils Blue B?

Offline mfergel

• View Profile
Seymour Duncan 59
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 04:56:57 PM »
Humbuckers and Trembuckers are very similar to each other, and most humbucker models also come in Trembucker versions. The Trembucker-spaced JB, for example, is a TB-4 and the humbucker-spaced version in an SH-4. The only difference is the wider spacing of the pole pieces on the Trembucker versions. This spacing issue only applies to the bridge position pickup, which is why Trembuckers are recommended for the bridge position. Trembuckers are designed for wider string most commonly associated with Floyd Rose or vintage vibrato bridges (often called Tremolos) with a string spacing of 2.070 or 52.6mm, measured center of high string to center of low string over the bridge pickup. Humbuckers are designed for bridges with traditional Gibson humbucker string spacing of 1.930 or 49mm, measured center of high string to center of low string over the bridge pickup. Humbucker spaced pickups work in both bridge and neck positions, even with a Trembucker-spaced bridge pickup. A quick and easy way to tell which you need is to measure from the middle of the high string to the middle of the low string, directly over the pickup. If the distance is greater than two inches or 50mm, go for a Trembucker. If it's less than two inches or 50mm, go for a humbucker.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 05:03:07 PM by mfergel »

Offline nkt1977

• View Profile
Seymour Duncan 59
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 11:06:23 AM »
the Sh-1 is one of my favorite pickups.I own the trembucker version which sounds wonderful on my Les paul. trembucker just means it is slightly bigger so the strings and the pole pieces are in line for bridge position. I would recommend the APH-1 Alnico II pro pickups for neck..they really have a good response for blues and the tone is balanced. I think the 59s are alnico Vs. The Dimarzio 36th anniversary model pickups are really good for blues rock too.

Offline Dave The Gonzo House

• View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/thegonzohouse
Seymour Duncan 59
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 12:35:54 PM »
I have a 59 in the neck position and an Alnico II pro in the bridge on my les paul and it sounds amazing!!! and when cranked up its like nothing else

Offline Greg M.

• View Profile
Seymour Duncan 59
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 08:57:35 PM »
I don't know if you could really do any better for the blues than the 59 that's in N4s.  Probably not different enough to justify money spent and the time and effort to change it anyway.  Of course, you can do anything you want to your guitar and you don't have to have me tell you that but it's pretty popular in the neck for a reason right?