Username: Password:

Author Topic: C-30 Classical  (Read 7502 times)

Offline Don Peris

• View Profile
C-30 Classical
« on: April 10, 2010, 08:21:27 PM »
Hi.  I am new to this site and have a question about 2 of my guitars.  I have a C/00S serial number 20 that I bought new around 1984 that seems to have a solid cedar top.  A really lovely guitar that sounds incredible.  I also recently picked up a C-30 from the 80s as well.  While this is not the same guitar as the C/00S, it still sounds good.  Is the C-30 a laminated top?  I can not find any info on either of these and was wondering if you had any info that you could share.  Many, many thanks!

Peace,
Don[:)]

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
C-30 Classical
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 12:03:50 AM »
Don, the way Washburn identifies the construction particulars on it's various models is pretty consistent....model number, then some letters.  An S standing alone, such as your C/00S, usually means that the guitar was constructed with a solid top and laminate back/sides.  If the guitar is made of all-solid woods, the model number will be followed by SW, such as my C124SW.  This pattern would lead me to believe that your C-30 is an all-laminate guitar.

I've heard many all-laminate guitars that sounded OK, even better...the only disadvantage an all lam guitar has relative to one made with a solid wood soundboard or all solid-wood construction is that the all laminate guitar won't improve with age, whereas the other two variations will.  I recently gave away an all-laminate Hohner classical and a solid top Yamaha classical.....I'd say the Hohner had the Yamaha beat for tone.

You might get more info if you post your querry in the Acoustic Guitar Players Post Comments and Questions section....there are some who frequent there who have access to some historical data that can answer any questions you might have.

Good luck and welcome to the forum....we really need more traffic here in the classical section [:)] !

Dugly [8D]

YerDugliness, Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, retired & attempting to age disgracefully!!
Washburns: WD32S, WD32SW. D61SW, and C124SW
Other fine/not so fine guitars by Breedlove (custom shop Revival Series 000), Darren Hippner (#506), Takamini (2005 LTD), Epiphone Masterbilt (AJ500RC), and Yamaha

YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,D62SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline mcloud10

• View Profile
C-30 Classical
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 08:02:38 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Don!  If you'll look at the serial number, the first two digits should be the year.  For example, I have a C-10N with a serial number start of 89...hence 1989.  I would imagine yours to be similar.

Mark

-------------------
'73 Washburn W240
'08 Washburn D10SCE
'08 Washburn D10QBK (Son's)
'09 Washburn C104SCE Classical
'89 Washburn C10N Classical
'73 Sivertone Model 319
'85 Ibanez DCL St.Chorus
Rocktron Compressor
DiMarzio Acoustic Pickup
Peavey Backstage Amp
Lots of Smiles ;)
-------------------
'71 Yamaha FG-300 (in restoration)
'73 Washburn W240
'08 Washburn D10SCE
'08 Washburn D10QBK (Son's)
'09 Washburn C104SCE Classical (Son's)
'10 Washburn WC150SW Classical
Washburn Rover RO20 Travel Guitar
Behringer ACX450

Offline Pike

• View Profile
C-30 Classical
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 04:11:33 PM »
Hi Don, here's the book info on the C100S...

C100 S CLASSIC
- classical design, solid cedar top, rosewood back and sides, mahogany neck, 12/19-fret ebonized
rosewood fingerboard, open-style headstock with three-per-side gold tuners, rosewood bridge, Natural
finish, mfg. late 1970s-mid 1980s.
Grading
 100% ----Excellent -----Average
-N/A ----$150 - 200 ---$95 - 125

Offline Don Peris

• View Profile
C-30 Classical
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 02:50:37 PM »
Thank you all so much for the info.  I have been playing and recording with this instrument, the C/100S,  for 20 years or more.  The only change I ever made was to put a bone saddle in place.  People always comment on the sound of this instrument.  I feel lucky to have it and I appreciate the help.  It is nice to know more about it!  The C 30 is also nice, but different.  My other classical guitars include a 1964 mahogany Guild Mark I, and a 1963 Gibson CO 1.  I must say that the Washburn C100/S is the superior instrument of the bunch!  Wish I could come across another. Thanks for the pictures as well.

Peace,
Don Peris

Offline YerDugliness

• View Profile
C-30 Classical
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 06:06:16 PM »
Washburn makes some very nice guitars and most people don't even know about their line of classicals.  Cedar over Rosewood is a great tonewood combo, and I consider myself very lucky to have found a C124SW (same tonewoods).  Yours undoubtedly sounds sweeter due to the influences of time....your soundboard will have aged very nicely by now and cedar is SO expressive!

Dugly [8D]

Other fine guitars by Breedlove (custom shop Revival Series 000), Darren Hippner (#506), Takamini (2005 LTD), Epiphone Masterbilt (AJ500RC), and Yamaha (G231-II)

Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline Don Peris

• View Profile
C-30 Classical
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 10:04:55 PM »
The C124sw is a beautiful looking guitar!  Do you find the arm rest/bridge to improve the sound.  Seems like a good idea.  

Peace,
Don

Offline YerDugliness

• View Profile
C-30 Classical
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 04:03:31 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Don Peris

Do you find the arm rest/bridge to improve the sound.  Seems like a good idea.  

Peace,
Don

Actually, it was one of the reasons I bought the guitar, Don....but I find that I don't use it as much as I thougth I would.  I learned to play using the classical method and one of my early mentors clued me in on the difference in sound a decent guitar will produce if you suspend your right arm over the soundboard rather than allowing it to rest on the soundboard, so I play that way most of the time (also opens up the right hand and straightens out the wrist, thereby improving the attack on the strings).

For those who learned to play in a lazy manner (as my mentor called it), though, it can facilitate a great improvement in tone.  At times, I must admit, I do get a bit lazy and feel the armrest on the inside of my forearm, and do not notice any deterioration of tone from the guitar, so I'm certain it is beneficial!

Many of the newer classical artists are playing them, though--here you can see Ana Vidovic playing Barrios' La Catedral, the forearm rest is clearly visible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4YngQ49dSw

Dugly [8D]

Other fine guitars by Breedlove (custom shop Revival Series 000), Darren Hippner (#506), Takamini (2005 LTD), Epiphone Masterbilt (AJ500RC), and Yamaha (G231-II)

« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 04:16:08 PM by YerDugliness »

Offline Rocket

• View Profile
C-30 Classical
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2010, 06:12:37 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by YerDugliness

I learned to play using the classical method...

Gay! (...not that there's anything wrong with that.)
quote:
For those who learned to play in a lazy manner...

Guilty!

Offline YerDugliness

• View Profile
C-30 Classical
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2010, 07:40:19 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Rocket

quote:
Originally posted by YerDugliness

I learned to play using the classical method...

Gay! (...not that there's anything wrong with that.)

OOOOH, Rocket, that hurts [;)] ! I freely admit to being homophobic....(not that there's anything wrong with that [:D] )

Dugly [8D]