Username: Password:

Author Topic: Older HB35 Question  (Read 28264 times)

Offline Rocket

• View Profile
Older HB35 Question
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2010, 12:33:20 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Tio Kimo

what is NOT 6120-ish about these?

In the case of Rockabilly/6120... it's about sounds that standard Humbuckers can't produce. It's about DynaSonic, DeArmond, HiLoTron, FilterTron, TVJ's, expansive sound chambers, Bigsby's, & Tube Amps.

Offline Tio Kimo

• you're never too old to be what you might've been
    • View Profile
Older HB35 Question
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2010, 01:12:51 PM »
well, given that TVJ's are available in a HB size, do you think these are capable with the p'up change?

Do the 6120's have some sort of wiring issues that are unique as well?
http://www.oldtownschool.org/
'95 Washburn D-55SW Cherokee (Bourgeois)
'04 Larrivée LV-03 w/ Fishman blend
'02 Heritage 535
'12 Heritage 150
'10 Larrivée RS-2
'11 Benford Tele
'12 Kirn Barn Buster
Marshall AS50D
Little Lanilei 3350LT
Champlifier
Boogie DC-2

Offline Rocket

• View Profile
Older HB35 Question
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2010, 06:35:15 PM »
Don't know about the wiring but installing some TV's might get some interesting results with that J9.

Offline WEBgUy

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.usmusiccorp.com
Older HB35 Question
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2010, 10:21:42 AM »
Just an FYI for the John Bell fans, his last HB35 had Seymour Duncans - Custom Custom bridge & '59 neck,

Offline Chondropython

• View Profile
Older HB35 Question
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2010, 12:14:31 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by catscratch

Chondropython, nice axe. Is it really that red in the flesh[?] If I could change anything about my guitar it would be the inclusion of the headstock inlay. I don't mind the split blocks either but I'm not so keen on the Les Paul type top horn switching.

BTW what's the axe behind the HB35? Looks like so kind of electo resonator.

COMMON SENSE WAS NEVER THAT COMMOM

Yes, it is pretty red... and in excellent shape for its age... barely a scratch or scuff on it.  

LOL... the green guitar behind it is my 3yr old's toy electric... it's battery powered and has its own speaker.

I was just checking out Tio's posted link and noticed the part about the right angle switch.  I just ordered the balance of my upgrade parts including a Switchcraft 3-way long toggle switch... I got this one because it said that it was for 335s, but I did not consider that the location of the switch on my HB 35 was in a different location... damnit!  Does anyone know for sure if a long toggle will work?  I have scheduled the work with my tech for next week, and need to bring him all the parts.. it would suck if my new switch didn't fit!

Offline Tio Kimo

• you're never too old to be what you might've been
    • View Profile
Older HB35 Question
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2010, 02:33:05 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by WEBgUy

Just an FYI for the John Bell fans, his last HB35 had Seymour Duncans - Custom Custom bridge & '59 neck,

No kidding.......

Thanks a lot WEBgUy, appreciate that info.
http://www.oldtownschool.org/
'95 Washburn D-55SW Cherokee (Bourgeois)
'04 Larrivée LV-03 w/ Fishman blend
'02 Heritage 535
'12 Heritage 150
'10 Larrivée RS-2
'11 Benford Tele
'12 Kirn Barn Buster
Marshall AS50D
Little Lanilei 3350LT
Champlifier
Boogie DC-2

Offline catscratch

• View Profile
Older HB35 Question
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2010, 06:11:34 PM »
Chondropython. I thought the switch for a 335 was supposed to be right angled. In fact I've just ordered a gold CTS RH switch, gold switchcraft input, CTS pots, gold hex nuts, vintage wire and PIO caps for my refit. The guitar arrives in the next few days. As I indicated I have set of SD 59's kicking around so intitially I'll put them in the old pick up covers. From the photos they look a bit worn and I can't tell whether that look is vintage or just clapped out. Same with the tuners. I've been hankering to do some pearl inlay (I'm an incorrgible tinkerer). It would be cool to bling up the headstock but I'm still undecided as to whether it's advisable to preserve the vintage value of the guitar.

Had to laugh about the kid's toy. I've been thinking that my next project (after a Fender Blues Junior 6V6 20 watt conversion) is building an electric resonator (with pearl inlay bling of course!!).
COMMON SENSE WAS NEVER THAT COMMON

Offline catscratch

• View Profile
Older HB35 Question
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2010, 06:16:46 PM »
As a matter of interest I have been compiling a database about MIJ HB35s. Everything on this forum and everything I can find on the net (including French and Italian sites). The project is ongoing and I can't come to any definitive conclusions at this point but all is not what it seems. Stay tuned.

Offline Chondropython

• View Profile
Older HB35 Question
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2010, 08:01:34 PM »
I'm not sure... here's a link to the site where I got most of my parts from... this is the switch recommended for a 335...

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/SWT32-24/Switchcraft-3-Way-Long-Toggle-Switch-for-Guitar-Nickel.html

Offline Chondropython

• View Profile
Older HB35 Question
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2010, 09:04:50 PM »
Here's another HB-35 re-build thread where the guy seems to use a regular 3-way toggle switch...

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=473956

Offline Chondropython

• View Profile
Older HB35 Question
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2010, 12:40:46 PM »
One more thing... not sure if you were planning to change the pickup rings, but I've noticed that the neck position is a flat bottom ring, but the bridge is a curved bottom... I suspect that's why the guy in the gearpage thread had trouble getting his to fit.  I haven't tried to put mine on yet, but I've laid them over the existing ones and the holes seem to line up perfectly...

Offline catscratch

• View Profile
Older HB35 Question
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2010, 07:02:48 PM »
Yours is a Korean with the switch on the horn, which I imagine is a narrower space than the MIJ or ES 335 position. 335s use Right angle switches. Not saying  you're wrong but...
http://www.acmeguitarworks.com/Wiring-Kit-Gibson-ES-335-P1146.aspx

...however I've seen plently of instances of short straight switches being used. The real issue will probably be how thick is the soundboard. I know Epiphone and MIK Washburn soundboards have are generally thicker than Gibsons and that deeper retaining nuts need to be used.

Here's a HB35 being rewired:

1. Right angled switch
2. Soundboard too thick for the switch (whether its straight or Right angled the issue is the thread length).

http://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=10301.0

Here's the part that fixes the problem:

http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/electrical_toggleswitches.htm   (down the bottom)

Offline Chondropython

• View Profile
Older HB35 Question
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2010, 08:35:17 PM »
Thanks for the tip... I have no idea which switch really goes on a 335... I was only going by what that parts website I linked to said when I mentioned that I thought it was a long toggle.

I have now seen 2 HB-35 rebuild threads... one used a right angle and one used a shorty.  So, I went ahead and ordered the shorty with the extension ring (neither website had a right angle toggle in gold).

I should have all the parts by next week and will post how it goes.

Offline Chondropython

• View Profile
Older HB35 Question
« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2010, 08:18:43 AM »
Getting my HB35 back today... can't wait!

Mods include:

- New Switchcraft gold switch & jack
- CTS 500K pots
- Authentic 1950's Sprague Bumble Bee Caps
- Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates gold neck & bridge pickups
- New cream colored pick up rings... all new gold mounting screws
- Gold speed knobs
- Vintage style cloth wiring
- Pickguard... gone!

will post pics!

Offline NickS

• View Profile
Older HB35 Question
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2010, 09:14:21 PM »
Let us know how those Pearly Gates sound.