Username: Password:

Author Topic: Good purchase? D46 Southwest with IQ System  (Read 11315 times)

Offline leighannh2

• View Profile
Good purchase? D46 Southwest with IQ System
« on: May 06, 2010, 03:37:32 PM »
I've searched the internet over and can't find a model quite like the one I just put on layaway at a local store.  It's the D46CESPKIQ - What looks like the D46CESP with the IQ system.  

This guitar really grabbed me because not only does it look and sound great, it meets my needs - I currently play a yamaha and use a Korg acoustic pedal with it to enhance the sound.  So this guitar will also cut down on the hassle of set up.

I'm not really a good at accessing the quality of a guitar, and I just realized this one is not a solid top. Should I be concerned about that?

I will be regularly rehearsing and gigging with this guitar, and the main problem with my yamaha setup was feedback.  I won't be able to try out this guitar with the rest of the band until next week, so I hope it does better in that respect.

What do you think?  Ever seen one of these or used the IQ system?  I saw a video on youtube, and it looks great.

Offline Tio Kimo

• you're never too old to be what you might've been
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 04:19:11 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by leighannh2

This guitar really grabbed me because not only does it look and sound great, it meets my needs

well there you have it. What else is there? You're in a band, so I assume you have a pretty astute ear as to what YOU want to hear....so you should feel pretty psyched that you found it.

quote:
I'm not really a good at accessing the quality of a guitar, and I just realized this one is not a solid top. Should I be concerned about that?

it affects its sound, but you like the sound. so that's all good. It will not change in tone over time like a solid wood guitar, but again, you like what you hear, so cool. The other positive is that if you're gonna be gigging with it, a laminate guitar is very robust, it'll take the beating and humidity/heat/cold torment you'll put it through. And if it does get trashed, well, it's not a high priced guitar that just got toasted.

quote:
What do you think?  Ever seen one of these or used the IQ system?  I saw a video on youtube, and it looks great.

I think it sounds like you got what you needed. Not personally familiar with the IQ, but I've seen the demo, it looks impressive.

And welcome to the forum! You'll need to submit pics when you get your hands on it. We'll want to hear your thoughts once you've put a few miles on it.
http://www.oldtownschool.org/
'95 Washburn D-55SW Cherokee (Bourgeois)
'04 Larrivée LV-03 w/ Fishman blend
'02 Heritage 535
'12 Heritage 150
'10 Larrivée RS-2
'11 Benford Tele
'12 Kirn Barn Buster
Marshall AS50D
Little Lanilei 3350LT
Champlifier
Boogie DC-2

Offline mcloud10

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 04:29:15 PM »
The D46SP (and D46CESP) has a very nice sound.  My wife even noticed the difference as we progressed from D10 to D46 to the D46SP testing out guitars at a local store.  I don't think I would apologize at all for the laminate top - if it sounds good, use it!

As stated above, Washburn ran a demo of the IQ system.  You can find it in the News section of this site.  It will probably be on page 2 or 3 by now.  It may give some insight into its capabilities.

I'll second the welcome and the call for pics!

Mark

-------------------
'73 Washburn W240
'08 Washburn D10SCE
'08 Washburn D10QBK (Son's)
'09 Washburn C104SCE Classical
'89 Washburn C10N Classical
'73 Sivertone Model 319
'85 Ibanez DCL St.Chorus
Rocktron Compressor
DiMarzio Acoustic Pickup
Peavey Backstage Amp
Lots of Smiles ;)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 04:30:00 PM by mcloud10 »
-------------------
'71 Yamaha FG-300 (in restoration)
'73 Washburn W240
'08 Washburn D10SCE
'08 Washburn D10QBK (Son's)
'09 Washburn C104SCE Classical (Son's)
'10 Washburn WC150SW Classical
Washburn Rover RO20 Travel Guitar
Behringer ACX450

Offline leighannh2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 09:26:59 AM »
Ok, so I went and picked it up last night, and wow, I love it.  Such a nice full sound.  I've been playing with the effects, amplified it seems heavy on the bass but that could just be my amp.  Fixed that with an EQ adjustment.  I added a strap button, lowered the action just a bit, and put lighter strings on it, definitely an improvement, for me.  I'm still getting used to the size, my last acoustic was a smaller body yamaha and I'm not a very big person, but I'll get used to it.

The guitar is absolutely gorgeous, the grain of that spalted maple is really pretty.  I found a few flaws in the design around the soundhole, but I'm not really concerned about that.  It smells like pancakes, lol!

The real test will be Wednesday at rehearsal.  It already seems louder than my old guitar, and much clearer.   As long as there is no major feedback, it's a keeper.  I'll post again after rehearsal.

Leigh Ann
-----------------
Washburn D46CESPKIQ
Yamaha APX-5A
Acoustic AG60 Amp
B.C. Rich NJ Classic Eagle Deluxe
Crate RFS200x
Digitech RP355
and one very old handmade fiddle fitted with a Barcus Berry pickup.

Offline leighannh2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 09:32:29 AM »
Just realized I didn't take a picture of the preamp.  But it is the DigiQ 10.  I'll try to get one posted later.

Leigh Ann

Offline leighannh2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 07:44:44 PM »
Well, I rehearsed with the band last night, and I am so happy with this guitar...  It performed better than I expected, I figured I would have a little bit of feedback but there was absolutely none.  I was able to turn it up loud enough to be heard over the other instruments, and it sounded great.  The other band members couldn't keep their hands off it, lol.  I ran it straight through the PA with just a little reverb dialed in on the preamp.  Everyone else was impressed and our other guitar player (who has 50+ year experience) said it was on the level of an $1100 guitar.

Offline Deacon

• View Profile
    • http://www.dirkesfamily.com
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 11:29:43 AM »
I've actually had my eye on one of these as well... nice looking guitar.
---
Jim Dirkes - aka Deacon
Charleston, SC
The Pack:
2006 Washburn J56SW Timbercraft
2004 Washburn D52SWCE Timbercraft
2005 Washburn D46SCE-12 Southwestern
2004 Washburn WD18SW Solid
2004 Washburn NV100C Classical
1996 Washburn D46S Cheyenne

The Rest:
2005 Epiphone Les Paul Classic
1981 Electra Phoenix X140N

Offline radenshirinji

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 10:28:10 PM »
Classic looks. Original.

Offline friedbanana

• View Profile
Re: Good purchase? D46 Southwest with IQ System
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2015, 11:18:20 AM »
Almost certain the D46S series have solid wood tops, with laminate used for the sides/back.  This should be true for all sub-models according to Washburn's model number coding.  Can't say for certain on the spalted maple version of the D46S, but I don't see why it would be any different.

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
Re: Good purchase? D46 Southwest with IQ System
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2015, 03:53:55 PM »
Washburn isn't necessarily consistent with their suffixes. For a solid-body electric, "-V" always means "vibrato"... except for the WI-64V. ::)

With acoustics, the "-S" always means a solid-wood top... except with the D46CESP, where there's not really an "-S" because the suffix is actually "-SP" for "spalted." I figure it was put at the END so as not to confuse anybody.

Spalt wood isn't great for tops, because that cool coloring is basically rot -- which COULD be done but would make selecting for structural strength & tone a real PITA, & the price climbs dramatically.

I love my CESP. It's siginifcantly quieter than my other dreadnoughts. As it was meant to be primarily plugged-in onstage, quieter is NOT a bad thing. 8)
M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

resident troublemaker: http://forum.frugalguitarist.com/