Username: Password:

Author Topic: Got D10SCEB as replace for a D10S  (Read 5118 times)

Offline GustavPicora

• View Profile
Got D10SCEB as replace for a D10S
« on: April 24, 2010, 02:30:48 PM »
Hello, Last year I bought a D10S, was great, until I started noticing a buzz in the 5th and 7th freet on the  b string, so I took it under warranty and after 2 months they came and gave a D10SCEB, I never liked the cutaway guitars, but I just said, WYF lets give it a try, anyway, they guy told me to replace the strings for new ones, so I decided to go for 0.12mm daddario , when I picked up my guitar I tried a couple notes great sound, when I came home I played more things and suddenly I realized that the 1st e string had a damn BUZZ on the 7th fret, just on the 7th nothing else, I could step on the fret perfectly but the buzz will stop the sound of the string, so in my thoughts came the idea that it could be the 0.12mm string, so I  just decided to place a little tiny piece of paper under the string on the Saddle. That made the trick, no more buzz

Now, I think this isn't the best solution and because the guitar its brand new I doubt the guitar its, but, 1st, the string and 2nd I think the guy at the store left it too low.
I have never changed a string in my old washburn neither in this one,  so I think  and as I see I can lift the string a little without any paper under it. Can somebody explain me how to?. or shall I take it again to the store...?

Thanks

Gustavo

Offline mcloud10

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 07:42:31 PM »
You should not put paper under the saddle.  It will affect the way the strings transfer vibration/sound to the bridge.

I would look down the neck and line up the tops of the frets and check and see if the #7 fret is higher than the rest.  If it is, it might have not been seated properly.  You could have the store check it and see if they can seat it better.  

Mark

-------------------
'73 Washburn W240
'08 Washburn D10SCE
'08 Washburn D10QBK (Son's)
'09 Washburn C104SCE Classical
'89 Washburn C10N Classical
'73 Sivertone Model 319
'85 Ibanez DCL St.Chorus
Rocktron Compressor
DiMarzio Acoustic Pickup
Peavey Backstage Amp
Lots of Smiles ;)
-------------------
'71 Yamaha FG-300 (in restoration)
'73 Washburn W240
'08 Washburn D10SCE
'08 Washburn D10QBK (Son's)
'09 Washburn C104SCE Classical (Son's)
'10 Washburn WC150SW Classical
Washburn Rover RO20 Travel Guitar
Behringer ACX450

Offline GustavPicora

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 02:41:20 AM »
Aha ok, I will check the fret and then see if to send it to the store.. int he case the 7th freet its ok,, what can it be then? the string was push  too much down when setting it?

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 07:41:56 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by mcloud10

You should not put paper under the saddle.  It will affect the way the strings transfer vibration/sound to the bridge.
Mark

Mark is right, but this guy makes a shim kit for saddles that is said to avoid the degradation of the sound and you might consider this option:

http://www.guitarsaddles.com/SaddleShim.asp

If it is just the 7th fret, perhaps having that one fret reset a bit higher would do the trick and be cheaper than sending your Washburn to the factory warranty department (and much less aggravating than having to wait another 2 months for it to be returned!!). Since it is happening only at the 7th fret, the buzz has to be b/c the 7th fret is too low, not too high.....the other option would be that you might need to have all the frets dressed so that the rest of the frets are at the same height as the 7th fret.

Before you go to all that trouble, though, perhaps a change to a heavier gauge set of strings would put a bit more pressure on the neck and result in a bit more relief in the neck......it might be worth a try and nothing would be lost if it didn't work.  If that works and you aren't happy with the heavier gauge strings, have a luthier make and fit a new nut....perhaps the first string slot in the nut was cut just a bit too deep at the factory? When the luthier fits the new nut, he would do so carefully so as to raise the string.

Good luck, Gustavo....please keep us posted!

Dugly [8D]

YerDugliness, Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, retired & attempting to age disgracefully!!
Washburns: WD32S, WD32SW. D61SW, and C124SW
Other fine acoustic guitars by Breedlove (custom shop Revival Series 000), Darren Hippner (#506), Takamini (2005 LTD), Epiphone Masterbilt (AJ500RC), and Yamaha (G231-II)

« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 07:51:44 PM by YerDugliness »
YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,D62SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline rngrck

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 10:47:36 AM »
I had vibration on my low E string and as a temporary fix, I placed a piece of match stick under the saddle in the E position. It worked fine until I broke down and finally replced the saddle. just some little tricks you can do. Playing with low action didnt really help either!!

Offline GustavPicora

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 06:58:30 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by YerDugliness

quote:
Originally posted by mcloud10

Mark

Mark is right, but this guy makes a shim kit for saddles that is said to avoid the degradation of the sound and you might consider this option:

http://www.guitarsaddles.com/SaddleShim.asp

If it is just the 7th fret, perhaps having that one fret reset a bit higher would do the trick and be cheaper than sending your Washburn to the factory warranty department (and much less aggravating than having to wait another 2 months for it to be returned!!). Since it is happening only at the 7th fret, the buzz has to be b/c the 7th fret is too low, not too high.....the other option would be that you might need to have all the frets dressed so that the rest of the frets are at the same height as the 7th fret.

Before you go to all that trouble, though, perhaps a change to a heavier gauge set of strings would put a bit more pressure on the neck and result in a bit more relief in the neck......it might be worth a try and nothing would be lost if it didn't work.  If that works and you aren't happy with the heavier gauge strings, have a luthier make and fit a new nut....perhaps the first string slot in the nut was cut just a bit too deep at the factory? When the luthier fits the new nut, he would do so carefully so as to raise the string.

Good luck, Gustavo....please keep us posted!

Dugly [8D]

YerDugliness, Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, retired & attempting to age disgracefully!!
Washburns: WD32S, WD32SW. D61SW, and C124SW
Other fine acoustic guitars by Breedlove (custom shop Revival Series 000), Darren Hippner (#506), Takamini (2005 LTD), Epiphone Masterbilt (AJ500RC), and Yamaha (G231-II)

Hello.. Sorry for this late reply.
 So I finally got again my guitar back. the guys seems to sand down the other frets, I calle dafter a week I lef the guitar, and they told me they were waiting for the tools to do the job, so Im not sure exactly what they did, but now the guitar sounds great.

Now I was thinking, after reading some post here, in building a home made humidifier, in a photo film case with a hight quality sponge, and put it inside the guitar case, also put a small  silica gel bag  inside  just to prevent over humidity,  ... what do you think?

Gustavo

Offline vheissu

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 07:24:08 AM »
Unless you're a little short on $$, I cannot recommend the planet waves guitar humidifier enough. Hell, even if you ARE short on $ you can still afford this:

http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Waves-Acoustic-Guitar-Humidifier/dp/B0002GWKAA

I have one, and they are absolutely brilliant. Cheap, simple to use, and effective. What more could you want?

Ben

Offline Rocket

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 07:38:07 AM »
I have half-a-dozen of these Kyser Lifeguard Soundhole Humidifiers which are pretty straight forward, work well, and double as a feedback mute:

Offline GustavPicora

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010, 07:47:59 AM »
GREAT...  I think Im gonna pass by the guitar store and see if I can find a small humidifier  like that one,  so I can leave as shown in the pics, and leave the silica gel bag   just inside the case.. ..