Username: Password:

Author Topic: bridge problems on my D10  (Read 8340 times)

Offline mitchell

• View Profile
bridge problems on my D10
« on: May 06, 2010, 05:39:10 PM »
so i have a crack running through my D10's bridge.  it runs right through the bridge pin slots.  its beginning to create a buzz so id like to fix it.  does anyone know where i could buy a washburn D10 bridge?

Offline Rocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 05:48:39 PM »
That's what happens when tapered bridge pins are forced into the holes.

That repair would be best left to a competent luthier but could be done yourself with proper tools & knowledge... unfortunately, the cost of repairing/replacing it would probably out-value the guitar.

On a more positive note... time to shop for a new guitar!

Offline mitchell

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 05:58:11 PM »
gah.  well i aspire to be a luthier, and this happens to be my current #1 guitar so i thnk im going to have to try to fix it.  do you know where i might find a d10 bridge?  would another bridge mess with the pitch too much?

Offline mitchell

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 05:59:54 PM »
also i bought this guitar for cheap with the crack already.  just want to say im not fool enough to force the pins in.

Offline Rocket

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 07:32:59 PM »
You can:
Make one from scratch from a piece of rosewood or ebony.
Buy a bridge blank from StewMac.
Buy a ready-to-install replacement from StewMac.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailpieces/Acoustic_guitar_bridges.html

Offline mitchell

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 11:45:21 PM »
now that was really helpful.  thank you, sir.

Offline Rocket

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 12:21:24 AM »
Better read up on it if you're gonna try it yourself... there's much more to it than merely sticking on a new bridge.

<snip>

Things You'll Need:
2 Putty Knife
Plastic Head Mallet
1/4 Stove Bolts
Nut and Flat Washer (x2)
Deep Throated Metal Clamps (x3)
Sharp Mat Knife or Scribe Knife
Masking Tape and Cardboard
2-part epoxy
Urethane or hot hide glue
1/4 chisel
Iron w/o steam

Step 1: If the bridge has cracked, it will need to be replaced. There are many sellers of bridges, both online and in music stores.

Step 2: Sometimes a bridge will just pop off due to brittle glue. To remove your bridge, try using a putty knife. Simply ease the putty knife under the edges of the bridge and apply a slight upward pressure around the entire perimeter of the bridge. Move around the perimeter several times, trying to extend the knife a bit further under the bridge each time until it comes off completely.

Step 3: If this technique does not work, the glue may need some help to loosen. You can use an iron to accomplish this. Simply heat up the bridge with the iron to soften the glue. As the glue heats up, pry off the bridge with the putty knife as instructed in step #2. Alternatively, you can use the iron to heat the putty knife during use with an iron. Then you simply have to use the hot putty knife to loosen the glue.

Step 4: Clean and sand the exposed area of the top where the bridge was removed. Use chisels, rasps, and sandpaper to do this. Finish sanding with 220 grit sandpaper.

Step 5: Take 2 masking tape and tape around the perimeter of the bridge. Be sure to overlap the bridge perimeter. Also make sure that the tape is tightly adhered to the top.

Step 6: Dry fit the new or existing bridge on the top using the 2 stove bolts and the bolt through the E string peg holders. Finger tighten the nuts on the bottom or inside. The bridge should overlap the masking tape.

Step 7: Run a mat knife around the perimeter of the bridge, cutting through the tape.

Step 8: Remove the bridge and the scraps of tape from the interior of the bridge area.

Step 9: Glue 3/4 x 1 x 1 blocks to the jaws of the 3 deep throated clamps.

Step 10: Prepare the epoxy glue or other glue and spread a thin later on the bottom of the bridge.

Step 11: Carefully set the bridge and put the stove bolts with nuts & washers inside the guitar. Tighten with a large screwdriver as tight as you can. Now is a good time to clean up any excess glue. Use the 1/2 chisel for this followed by a bit of sanding.

Step 12: Now place the 3 clamps into position. Place one at each side of the stove bolt and one between the bolts. You will now have 5 pressure points clamping the bridge.

Step 13: At this time, you may have additional excess glue that comes out on the sides of the bridge. Clean this now.

Step 14: Allow to dry overnight and then remove the clamps and the bolts. Do some final clean up with your chisel and sandpaper.

Step 15: Last remove the tape, drill out the E string peg, and replace the guitar strings.

<end>

Offline georgeo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 10:53:00 AM »
I am no tar tech I have an older D12 that had a rattle hum on yhe lower strings a friend bought me a set of brass pins ,dont remember the manufacture,that really tightened up the buzzing may check it out at local store.I think around 25 dollars I feel it really helped the tone over all.

Offline Rocket

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 03:18:20 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by georgeo

I am no tar tech I have an older D12 that had a rattle hum on yhe lower strings a friend bought me a set of brass pins ,dont remember the manufacture,that really tightened up the buzzing may check it out at local store.I think around 25 dollars I feel it really helped the tone over all.

Brass pins... that's a good way to GET a cracked bridge.

Offline georgeo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 08:22:02 PM »
just thought he could try for a quick fix for tone,buzzing problem with out going through 15 steps or more the brass pins have never caused me any problems.my mind is cracked but my bridge is just fine just fine justfin...................

Offline Rocket

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 08:39:01 PM »
His bridge is already cracked like this:

How on earth would stuffing brass pins into it help anything?

Offline Rocket

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2010, 09:24:15 PM »
I keep the brass pin fallacy filed away in the BS folder along with BFTS & bone picks.

Offline georgeo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2010, 10:49:18 PM »
I guess you are right bet you are always right,looks like time to go to the geetar store,please excuse my ingnerts rockman shame on me

Offline Rocket

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2010, 12:59:23 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by georgeo

I guess you are right bet you are always right...

There's a safe bet!

Offline mitchell

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2010, 12:00:08 AM »
wow man, thanks again.  i think i have most of that.  im considering buying a martin style rosewood bridge from the stewmac website.  do you think that my D10 will have the sqme measurements on the stock bridge as their standard bridge?