Username: Password:

Author Topic: brand new hb32dm, the good and the not so bad  (Read 7800 times)

Offline washiwashi

• View Profile
brand new hb32dm, the good and the not so bad
« on: May 09, 2010, 09:30:25 AM »
Hi all of you,

Just got myself a shinny brand new HB32DM -- actually it's the HB33DM model (it differs only in that the humbuckers are covered and match the rest of the hardware, as far as I can see) -- and this is how I stepped into the world of Washburn guitars.

My first impressions:
This is good stuff! Chinese make, but still... [;)]
Feels and looks rough, pretty (on the non-cheesy side) and plays good. It plays well enough unplugged and even smells of a good woody smell.

Factory settings were not so ok, but I like fiddling around with settings, anyway. Good fun.

Now, there a few construction faults. The pup's are a bit misaligned with the strings, but the signal they output is fine and well balanced, anyway.
The nut isn't so well shaped as it should and cause my B-string to buzz in funny (and loud) ways once in a while (and it's definitely a nut buzz, not a fret buzz). I'll try to fix this when I have time later this week.

But I fear there's worse: the fingerboard isn't well glued to the neck in one of the corners (low E-string side, bridgewards). So it's slightly raised there, a matter of 0.1 to 0.5 mm or so. Didn't care about it at first, but that doesn't let me set my string height as low as I'd like (and I don't mean insanely low, more like medium-low) as the low E-string will buzz when fretted at the 13th and 14th frets, or so (or elsewhere if strummed hard...).
Is this a *normal* fault? Easily repaired? Is it enough to ask for a replacement under warranty? Could this be a B-series, even if it wasn't sold as such?

Sorry for the long text (I'm all excited about my brand new Washburn).

And oh, a proper guitar bag/case anyone? I won't need to move it around all that much, but would appreciate a not too expensive case which would protect the guitar from the eventual shocks and the humidity/rain.

Offline Tio Kimo

• you're never too old to be what you might've been
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 09:45:03 AM »
First, welcome to the forum.

Second, sounds to me like some significant issues. I'd send all of that to Customer Service and see what they suggest. They're likely to take your situation very seriously, and try to resolve it.

Third, B-stocks are supposed to be stamped b-stock. Look for something on the back of the headstock. Having said that, usually they are a B-stock for a single significant issue, maybe a cosmetic blemish that is irrelevant in regards to sound, or it could be something greater. But it seems you have several issues related to fit and finish.

I hope you get it worked out, we'd love to see some pics.

What have you been playing previously, musically and gear wise?
http://www.oldtownschool.org/
'95 Washburn D-55SW Cherokee (Bourgeois)
'04 Larrivée LV-03 w/ Fishman blend
'02 Heritage 535
'12 Heritage 150
'10 Larrivée RS-2
'11 Benford Tele
'12 Kirn Barn Buster
Marshall AS50D
Little Lanilei 3350LT
Champlifier
Boogie DC-2

Offline washiwashi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 01:47:44 PM »
So, yeah, that's what I thought... I'll get in touch with the costumer service as soon as I can.

I didn't see any B-stock stamp or anything like that.

For the pics, this is the best I can do for now (don't have the guitar with me right now!):

The faulty upper bridgewards corner of the fingerboard:

And then the good side:

Hope I can get it sorted out quickly, because other than this, it's a quite nice guitar.

Offline georgeo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 02:13:45 PM »
somebody loves 35s I found one in the rubish left behind when my niebors moved about 1986 been so long ago .I being a poor man fixed it up played the hell out of it for a few years it wasnt my favorite tar but sound pretty good through my broke down peavy amp I dont remember what happened to it I moved around alot back then kind of miss it

Offline washiwashi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 05:17:19 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Tio Kimo

Second, sounds to me like some significant issues. I'd send all of that to Customer Service and see what they suggest. They're likely to take your situation very seriously, and try to resolve it.

ok!! I got the guys on the telephone, they asked me to send a description of the problems found and all that. The day after I received a mail order to dispatch the guitar. They said they should be checking it in the next few working days.

So far so good! Sounds like we're dealing with a professional and efficient staff [^]

« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 05:18:40 AM by washiwashi »

Offline lbergmann

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 09:10:21 AM »
I also would like to comment on the workmanship of my new HB32DM. As with washiwashi, the fingerboard on my new HB32DM was all over the map. The setup from factory was less than satisfactory. It was almost like they didn't finish the job & just packed it up in its case leaving wood shavings & the like with the guitar. Out of the case, the guitar had serious fret buzz on the low E and A strings.
After fiddling with the nut, bridge, and truss, I managed to get the guitar to a semi-playable state. It does however, need a serious fret job right off the bat in order for it to play to any sort of an acceptable standard.

I realize this is a mid-range guitar, but if I wanted to buy a guitar from Walmart, I would have done so, leaving the quality of the instument to the luthiers in China. My recommendation would be to instill some trust back into the workmanship of the good old Made in U.S.A. I wouldn't have minded paying a few extra dollars for a playable instrument, as I now have to invest time and $$ to get the guitar playable anyway.

On a positive note, the guitar does look very nice, and it will be worth the time and money to fix it.

Offline washiwashi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 10:36:36 AM »
ok, the story comes to a happy end.

Got a brand new HB in exchange for the previous one. People from the costumer service were very quick, and the new guitar came with a nearly perfect setup.

I was a bit put off with the idea of having to call them and go through the whole re-packing, re-sending, waiting, getting a new one process, but honestly, it's worth it!

The funny thing is: I'm pretty sure my local distributor payed a lot more attention this time. Looking closely, one of the pickups is newer than the other -- the bronze/copper/whatever pup cover isn't yet as aged as the other, although it's getting closer day after day (you know this sort of metals oxidate quickly and naturally get that aged look). My guess is the guy took a serious look at it, and decided it should get a new one. Why isn't this standart procedure? Regarding lbergmann's comment, I'd say it isn't so much about where it's built, but rather the building and quality control's policy; doing well instead of the all cheaper-quicker-faster-more way.

Happy HB'ing everybody