Username: Password:

Author Topic: Action Settings?  (Read 5433 times)

Offline el_xero

• View Profile
Action Settings?
« on: May 12, 2010, 02:16:01 PM »
Hi All I'm new here. I'm hoping that someone can help out with a bit of a ticklish problem with my WI26. Mainly I can't get my action setup right at all. Can someone tell me what hight my strings aught to be?

Please don't say its subjective :S I want it low so that it's easier to play especially at the higher frets. It came from an internet box shipper (ebay) and seemed to be ok but started to buzz quite a bit.

I've tried all kinds of small adjustments and even larger ones with not very much luck in illuminating buzz in some places. Mostly at the neck the middle is fine but also when you start playing higher up beyond the 12th fret it becomes agonizing.

I've had the neck straight, slightly bowed and really bowed one time even found that the 6th string buzzed every where on every fret.

Right now I've got it so that the neck is very straight and if i use a quarter, it will clearly fit under the 5th fret 6th string and a dime fits just fits under the 5th 6th string. I'd say 95% of my buzzing is gone but higher up the register the strings are VERY high with a lot of thread showing under the saddle. I actually had to switch to xxl strings (8's) to get it here as nothing and no adjustments beyond ridiculously high strings would help when I had the 10's.

Does anyone have any idea what hight the strings should be at for a nice low action all around? Thanks for checking out my post. I'm still
playing with it.
Live Baby Live!

Offline SilentLegume

• View Profile
Action Settings?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 10:25:15 PM »
Here's my basic setup procedure.  This assumes that the nut is decently-cut. I string my guitar w/ 9-46s (EB Hybrid Slinkys).  I fingerpick so my action can sometimes be a little on the high side.  You milage may vary.  Don't blame me if you break anything, etc....

---Prepare
1. Make sure the strings are fresh (close to new).  Tune guitar to EADGBE

---Set neck relief
2. Capo the 15th fret.  The height of the bass string above the 7th should be less than half the width of the string (much less than the width of a dime).  If you tap the bass string against 7th the fret (still with the capo @ 15th), there should be an audible click)

3. If the string is too high or too low, adjust the truss rod.  Don't turn it more than 1/4 of a turn per 20 minutes.  Perform the capo and tap test until it's good.

---Adjust bridge height
4. Remove the capo

5. Adjust the height of the bass side of the bridge using the thumbwheel/flathead slot.  For the bass string, I find the ideal height to be the width of a dime at the at the 5th or 6th fret and the width of a penny at the 8th or 9th fret.

6. Raise/Lower the bridge until the Low E and A strings are close to the fretboard but have no fret buzz on frets 9 through 22.  If you hear buzzing, make sure that you're fretting your notes cleanly.  If you are, then raise the bridge height slightly until the buzz is gone.

7. Repeat the bridge height procedure on the high E and B strings.

---Intonate
8. basically, for each string, adjust the saddles so that open string and 12th fret are exactly an octave apart.  double-check by playing the harmonic over the 12th fret.

Offline SilentLegume

• View Profile
Action Settings?
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 11:30:31 AM »
I should have also mentioned...

Dan Erlewine's book (The Guitar Player Repair Guide) has a wealth of information about setting up a guitar including detailed measurements for Fender and Gibson-style electrics (you'd follow the gibson specs).  If you are to own only one guitar maintenance book, this is the one to get:

http://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Player-Repair-Guide-Book/dp/0879309210/

Offline el_xero

• View Profile
Action Settings?
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 10:57:19 PM »
Thanks so much SilentLegume :D I'll give that a try :) Sounds Like its very doable! And I accutally have that book I found it a bit hard to read at first but I'm getting it now bit by bit. I had not gotten through the set-up chapters before posting as I was a bit confused and jumping in and out of fret reworking. (Going to practice fixing up an acoustic soon)
Live Baby Live!

Offline radenshirinji

• View Profile
Action Settings?
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 04:58:53 AM »
I have tried your basic setup procedure SilentLegume. Its very workable.

Offline el_xero

• View Profile
Action Settings?
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 11:09:56 PM »
Hi Just wanted to pop in again and thank SilentLegume so much for the setup instructions! I can't tell you how much i've used it since you've posted it on here for me! It works like a charm! :D thanks so much!
Live Baby Live!