Username: Password:

Author Topic: An old friend  (Read 1938 times)

Offline steve206

• View Profile
An old friend
« on: May 20, 2010, 07:22:19 PM »
If you think good thoughts and listen to your voices, good things just might come your way.

I went through the recent Madoff Era, the same way as a lot of us.  Watched the plan of having the sale of the house, underwrite my impending retirement, go up in smoke, as one straw after another was laid across the camels back.  Almost lost the house altogether to foreclosure.  Was lucky to walk away with any money at all.

At the start, I was groovin' along, with a number of acoustic and electric guitars.  Resonators and autoharps and mandolins.  Life was good.  

First to go was the US Strat, then the resonator.  After a bit, I watched the 61 Martin 016-NY go, then the pre-war Martin Ukelele.  Next up was the Hollow body J6 Montgomery, followed by the HB-32DM.  Some time passed and I sold the 66 Guild D40.  While the guy was at the house, I asked him if he knew of anyone who wanted a killer D28-12 by washburn?  He gave me $150 and I took it.  The rosewood buttons [by dreadman] were worth $50.

I am down to the J28-SCEDL and a retail promotion for Rolling Rock Beer, made by Fender in Indonesia.  Headstock says Squier Stratocaster and it has one humbucking PU and a volume knob.  

Out of the blue, I receive a stipend from a family estate that I did not know existed and the boogeyman started to fade from the picture.

Did some investigating and tried to remember this one guy's first name.  The guy who bought my J6 Montgomery.  I knew he worked for the county in some engineering facet.  Forgot which branch of the county he was involved in.  Drove around town, to county buildings that I knew about, trying to get a feel for the address.  Finally, a few stray memories came together and I was able to locate the building.

Turned out that I had his first name wrong and He was an Alex and not a Larry.  The receptionist dialed his cell and I was talking to him about guitars.

Went to his house today and got my J6 Montgomery.  He took good care of it and I have back the one guitar that I said I would never sell.  If times get hard for me again, This one stays.

Now to get rid of that W tailpiece.

Steve

Offline hollywoodmark

• View Profile
An old friend
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 09:59:51 AM »
Great story, Steve. Thanks for brighening an otherwise crummy day.
Mark

Offline abdef

• View Profile
An old friend
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 07:15:26 AM »
Hang in there my friend. There is always music. On my worst day, it brings some order to my life!!