Username: Password:

Author Topic: bridge pins for J56SW  (Read 3119 times)

Offline Ronsterman

• View Profile
bridge pins for J56SW
« on: May 30, 2010, 10:21:35 AM »
Does anyone know the correct bridge pin size for this awesome acoustic? Bone pins would really enhance the sound and since it came with bone nut and saddle, it seems the right thing to do.
I see a chart for bone pins at this site.

[http://www.maurysmusic.com/fossilized_walrus_ivory_bridge_pin_sizes

I do understand that incorrect size pins harder that the bridge wood could fracture the bridge

Anyone else own a J56SW? I just aquired one. I own several high end acoustics, and this one sounds better than most of them.

jimsmithsr

bridge pins for J56SW
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 07:48:13 AM »
Here's a link to an article that may help:

http://www.13thfret.com/bridge-pins.html

There is a certain amount of consistancy among guitars of the same model and manufacturer.....but there are differences also.  Pins that fit your J56SW perfectly, probably won't fit another J56SW...perfectly.  There may be some differences in diameter amoung the six holes in the bridge on your model.

(When a company claims to sell pins that fit your model...the top of each pin...under the ridge and ball... still, under nornal conditions, has to be sanded slightly to fit each bridge hole properly.)   The exception would be if the company sells a slightly undersized pin for your model. (that would be the measurement at the top of the pin shaft just below the ridge and ball)

I wouldn't recommend slotting the bridge and going to solid pins (as the article suggests) unless you're a professional player and consistantly use the same guage strings.

You could have the bridge holes reamed (on your guitar) to match a set of pins that's being offered by Maurys Music...(size 1 is your best bet-    0.210 at the top of the shaft)

or

You could buy a set of 3 degree slotted pins (as the bridge holes on your J-56 SW are probably not tapered) and hand fit them yourself....  again... a size 1 is your best bet.

[:)]
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 03:27:09 AM by jimsmithsr »

jimsmithsr

bridge pins for J56SW
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 03:35:25 AM »
I also own a J-56 SW ....here's some info on that series of guitars:

Great looking and sounding guitars ....for the money....too bad they've been discontinued.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 03:37:12 AM by jimsmithsr »