Username: Password:

Author Topic: my Tanglewood - I want to learn more about it  (Read 3718 times)

Offline WoodenShips

• View Profile
my Tanglewood - I want to learn more about it
« on: June 08, 2010, 03:05:20 PM »
I have had this guitar since the fall of 1981. Purchased it new.

It is a George Washburn - model: Tanglewood (serial number 83789).
Is this a part of the Festival series?

Before finding this forum today I have not been in conversation with anyone who knows about Washburns.
So please, take me in and educate me?  (send me private mail, if you wish, my ability to access the website with my screen reading sofware due to vision loss is a challenge.)

My Tanglewood has been well cared for, remains in excellent condition, but I have played it with much enjoyment all these years.   I love the feel of the neck, and it is really well made, I always thought.  But for one thing--- I never have liked the weak bass tones, especially on low end, on my 6th string, the low E.  It has electronics of a tone and volume, but I have not really plugged into anything for many years.

My tuners are about shot, Grovers, I think.  Any recommendations on what to put on? I was thinking about some Waverlys.

If anyone has any estimates on my Tanglewood's value, please do advise me.
Should I wish to sell it, or for insuring it, is why I'd like to know.

Thanks
Rik (aka WoodenShips)
montanarikster@gmail.com

Offline DontTreadOnMe

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 04:10:29 AM »
Welcome to the forum Rik.  You can use the 'Search' function in the upper right corner of the page and find info such as this
http://forums.washburn.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17232&SearchTerms=tanglewood

You have to go through a lot of posts sometimes to find info, but it is generally out there on the forum somewhere.
Guitars, I have a few - but then again, too few to mention

Offline Pike

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 10:50:15 AM »
Hi Rik, here's the blue book info on your guitar... got any pics you could share with us?

EA45 TANGLEWOOD
- similar to EA44 except has a deep body, available in Natural or Tobacco Sunburst finish, mfg. 1979-
1985, 1987-89, 1992-94.
Grading
 100% ---Excellent ----Average
-N/A ---$525 - 600 --$350 - 400
Last MSR was $1,150.
This model was introduced three seperate times, so the description may vary a bit. It is one of the three
original Festival guitars and did not have the EA45 designation until the mid-1980s. In 1987, the EQ300
electronic system was introduced with sliders instead of knobs, and the guitar was only known as the
EA45. In 1992, the Equis II electronic system was introduced, and the guitar was known as both the
Tanglewood and EA45.

EA44 MONTEREY
- single sharp cutaway thin style, solid cedar top, oval soundhole, bound body, three-stripe
purfling/rosette, rosewood back/sides, mahogany neck, 14/20-fret bound rosewood fingerboard with
pearl diamond inlay, rosewood bridge with white black pins, bound peghead with rosewood veneer,
three-per-side chrome tuners with pearl buttons, acoustic bridge pickup, Washburn 3200/EQ300/Equis
II electronics, available in Black, Natural, or Tobacco Sunburst finish, mfg. 1979-1985, 1987-89, 1992-
Grading
 100% ---Excellent ------Average
-N/A ---$500 - 575 ----$325 - 375
Last MSR was $1,100.

Offline WoodenShips

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 07:43:14 PM »
Thanks, Pike, for the very useful data on my Tanglewood. This will really help me.
I do not have a photo. But my wife has a digital camera, so I will soon have one and post it to the forum.

I can tell you my Tanglewood is Sunburst, though not sure what Tobacco looks like compared to Natural.  Thnere is some rather smoky coloration, so maybe I'd guess Tobacco. And it matches descriptions that you list.  It does have the 2 knobs for volume & tone controls. I have not had it plugged into anything in years.  In fact, while I play it frequently, it is in pretty darned good condition, as it really has not been ever stored much outside of its original case when not playing it, careful not to scratch it or let perspiration dry on its finish.  And there are very few if any finish cracks or smudges or anything on the instrument.  Just yesterday I took it to our local music store and a local luthier is going to look it over, and see about what he might if anything recommend.   I mentioned to him that the low E string has always seemed to me to be not as responsive in its tone as the other strings, and I wondered if maybe a bridge adjustment or something might help that.   It is subtle, but it is rather dead along some notes on that string.  I hope he will have good news to report.  

The tone of the guitar I think has really gotten nice and rich, except for that low E I mentioned. And I have always thought the neck and frets play very nicely, and easily.

I do know I need new tuning machines.  If anyone has a suggestion that they like for this model, I'd much welcome the suggestions.
Also as to what strings you think sound best on this model.  I've been putting Elixir medium guages on it.  The young fellow at the store felt like Martin SP would be good. I had had them on at one time, but don't remember what I thought.

I appreciate your putting a bit of a dollar figure as to its value. Maybe when I send in the photo you might have other ideas? But I liked
Somewhere in a file, I still have the original purchase receipt, and the little Washburn card with the model and SN on it.  I think I paid like $720 when purchasing it new in September, 1981

Thanks for all.
Rik

Offline Pike

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 01:15:44 AM »
Cool Rik, looking forward to the pics...

Offline Folisn156

• View Profile
Re: my Tanglewood - I want to learn more about it
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2019, 12:00:10 PM »
Learning and educating yourself can not be stopped like ever whether you are learning the guitar slow or very little day by day, As I want to be an author so I am taking help of grammar checker https://robotdon.com/grammar-check/ because english is not my first language, so I am proud that I am learning something.