Username: Password:

Author Topic: Intonation on a PS9000  (Read 4444 times)

Offline albertimusprime

• View Profile
Intonation on a PS9000
« on: June 17, 2010, 09:06:30 AM »
Hi, new membere here.
I bought a PS7200 in the Spring of 2008, and liked it so much that I bought a really nice PS9000 on ebay about 5 months ago.

It's black with cream binding. It was used, but showed little evidence of wear and tear. The guy was a collector and said he was just downsizing.

I gave it a fret polish, once over clean and new strings, and it looked like quite a grand edition to my stable.

But when I tried to intonate, I had to keep moving the bridge saddles way up towards the body. In fact the d and g saddles had to go as far as they could, and the g could have used a little more.

I have a couple of dozen guitars and never had that problem before.

Then I saw the dvd that came with Dan Erlewine's Guitar Player's Repair Guide (3rd edition), and he showed a guitar with a similiar issue, and said that the factory must have installed the bridge posts in the wrong place.

If that is the case with my USA built PS9000, I will not be very impressed.

Any thoughts ?

Offline ncmreynolds

• View Profile
Intonation on a PS9000
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 09:49:44 AM »
Does it have BFTS? I suspect that moves the correct point for intonation, although it probably isn't by a massive amount.

2 EC29s, 2 KC90s, G2-V, RR2-V and a whole load of Indies

2 EC29s, 2 KC90s, NX3, RS8-V, G2-V, RR2-V, WI64, WI66-ProE and a whole load of Indies

Offline albertimusprime

• View Profile
Intonation on a PS9000
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 09:59:44 AM »
Yes, it has the BFTS.
I am not expert on BFTS, but with that being marketed as an added feature for tuning stability, I thought the guitar would only need a few minor adjustments at the most.

Offline albertimusprime

• View Profile
Intonation on a PS9000
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 12:00:15 PM »
Just found this from a google search. An old comment on another forum site.

...have the Buzz Feiten tuning system, which is supposedly a good thing but may require purchase of a new tuner.
Only a few models work with it, and they do not include the Boss TU-2 or TU-12.
 Again, just something to keep in mind--a friend of mine has a WI64 and he was a little miffed that he had to get a new tuner.

Hmmm...I was using the built in tuner on my Korg AX30G.
Maybe that was an issue ?

Offline cedwards

• View Profile
Intonation on a PS9000
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 12:46:23 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by albertimusprime

Just found this from a google search. An old comment on another forum site.

...have the Buzz Feiten tuning system, which is supposedly a good thing but may require purchase of a new tuner.
Only a few models work with it, and they do not include the Boss TU-2 or TU-12.

I've never really understood the info out there about needing special tuners for BFTS. Certainly, I tune my WI45 using a standard tuner (in old Digitech RP-12) and have never had an issue. Then again, I haven't tried to mess with intonation. Nonetheless, I'm guessing that the tuner is not the issue in your case.
Seize the Fish
WG2S, D10SCE, WI45, JM300S, Lyon L115
'70s Univox LP Copy

Offline albertimusprime

• View Profile
Intonation on a PS9000
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 01:09:11 PM »
Pretty much every guitar I have has needed a little intonation adjustment after purchase and re-stringing.

But this was the first time I have had this issue.

I will try to do the correct way on the weekend.

http://www.buzzfeiten.com/howitworks/tuningwtbfts.htm

I will post the results on Monday.

Offline Tio Kimo

• you're never too old to be what you might've been
    • View Profile
Intonation on a PS9000
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 03:43:35 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by cedwards

I've never really understood the info out there about needing special tuners for BFTS.  Nonetheless, I'm guessing that the tuner is not the issue in your case.

+1

I use standard tuners with all my guitars, and have never had any issue whatsoever. My WI-67 is typically tuned using either the Korg AW-1 or a Boss TU-2 (pedal) NEVER an issue.

I agree it's likely not the tuner, that the Buzz Fieten geometry could come into play once you've started moving things around.

It COULD be a misplaced bridge, however guitars like this are mass produced on a milling machine center, which puts the same diameter hole on the same shaped body at the same location time after time after time.

It's not like you've got a dude with a tape measure and a Makita, working a 12 hour shift who got a bit bleary eyed.

Good luck getting to the bottom of it.
http://www.oldtownschool.org/
'95 Washburn D-55SW Cherokee (Bourgeois)
'04 Larrivée LV-03 w/ Fishman blend
'02 Heritage 535
'12 Heritage 150
'10 Larrivée RS-2
'11 Benford Tele
'12 Kirn Barn Buster
Marshall AS50D
Little Lanilei 3350LT
Champlifier
Boogie DC-2

Offline moguitar7

• View Profile
Intonation on a PS9000
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 09:53:30 PM »
I had totally different readings while intonating my new WM24V with the regular tuner and the one with the BFTS selection.  I thought the intonation was off, but it wasn't after all when I switched to the BFTS tuner.  I usually tune down to double flat on a Korg30 or other tuners, but the Korg DT-7 with BFTS only has lights at intervals of 10 down to -50 from 440, and I'm not sure where my flat setting would be.  It is a whole different ballgame with the Floyd, so I just kept it standard.
The main thing is that you will get erroneous readings for intonation on a Buzz Feiten guitar with a non-Buzz Feiten tuner.
I had to move the bridge back on a WI14, and had a Jay Turser that the bridge leaned so much toward the neck that it could not e intonated. A LP copy I once had also was out of range because the bridge holes were too close to the neck, and it was cured by installing a Guitarfetish locking roller bridge, which use a big bushing screw with top part small diameter and allen screws that move the whole bridge back or forward and lock it in place, plus the rollers move back and forth.  The locking in place is nice and adds sustain, plus with rollers there is less string breakage.  A lot less than tone pros and will work for either Epi style or Gibbie style tune-o-matic bridge replacement.  I've got them on 3 guitars now.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 10:05:31 PM by moguitar7 »
sun come shining over the mountain!!!