Username: Password:

Author Topic: Neck on Idols  (Read 7007 times)

Offline Misha

• View Profile
Neck on Idols
« on: July 08, 2010, 08:55:30 AM »
In my local shop they have WI18, but I want WI64, which is not in the shop, but can be ordered and sent to me. I would like to try the neck before buying it, just to know if it fits me. So the question is is the neck on WI18 and WI64 the same???

Offline Slashpepper

• View Profile
Neck on Idols
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 04:12:34 AM »
I can't say about the other one, but if it helps, my WI64 has an amazingly thin neck, getting close to Ibanez levels and completely flat fretboard - lowest action on any guitar I've ever played, period. Pity the frets (on mine at least, it's getting on quite a bit now) aren't Jumbo sized or it'd be a shredding machine!

Washburn WI556
Washburn WI320 PRO
Washburn WI64

Washburn WI556
Washburn WI320 PRO
Washburn WI64

Offline Misha

• View Profile
Neck on Idols
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 04:36:15 AM »
Well, that's good to hear, but I still won't buy it before trying the neck. Anyway, thanks Slashpepper.
WI18 an WI64 have the same Neck scale(24.75), fingerboard radius(14), but I don't know what that means. Can anybody explain?

Offline Slashpepper

• View Profile
Neck on Idols
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 05:01:27 AM »
The neck scale is essentially how long the neck is, 24.4 is the same as Gibson Les Pauls and about the shortest you'd normally find. It just means the frets are slightly closer together... Tis good for small hands but for shredders it means that it's harder to play fast in the high registers - my fingers get caught on each other. I think PRS's generally have 25 scale lengths (distance from the nut to the 12th fret, I think, i.e. Length on a whole scale) and most other guitars have 25.5 scales lengths (e.g. Ibanez). 25.5 are good for shredding and down tuning, the longer length means that heavier strings aren't quite as taut. All very metal (although I'd imagine there are other qualities I'm not familiar with, Fender's are also generally 25.5).

The finger board radius describes how flat the fingerboard is, i.e. What radius of circle the fretboard would make if it continued out sideways... Larger measurements are flatter. Again I think flatter it better for speed players and are quite Ibanez'y while shorter rounder fretboards are more Gibson'y. Again, not metal qualities will probably be associated with each that I'm not as familiar with...

Washburn WI556
Washburn WI320 PRO
Washburn WI64

Washburn WI556
Washburn WI320 PRO
Washburn WI64

Offline Misha

• View Profile
Neck on Idols
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 06:47:57 AM »
Thank you very much.
So the question still remains - Is the neck on WI18 and WI64 the same?????

Offline Slashpepper

• View Profile
Neck on Idols
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 07:34:45 AM »
I think we're going to have to wait until someone who owns both chips in, but if they've got the same scale length and fretboard radius, I can't imagine them being much different. The other thing's we'll need are the neck width and depth (we only really know the dimensions of the fretboard itself so far), what materials the neck and fretboard are and how the neck is joined to the body. If they all match it's pretty much guaranteed they're the same...

*checks website*

Well, they're both 22 fret mahogany set necks with rosewood fretboards, but the WI64 has a 43mm nut width (width of the bit where the fretboard meets the head of the guitar) where-as the WI18's is 42mm... So the 64's neck is 1mm wider and so will feel a little larger in your hands (but only a tiny bit) and the strings will be slightly further apart, but we're talking about 1mm difference here over the whole width.

So my best guestimate is that they're subtley different necks, but I *doubt* it'll be noticable... That probably wasn't overly helpful in the long run... You'll have to let us know if you get your hands on them what the differences are! (or of course wait until someone else chips in!)

Washburn WI556
Washburn WI320 PRO
Washburn WI64

Washburn WI556
Washburn WI320 PRO
Washburn WI64

Offline Misha

• View Profile
Neck on Idols
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 08:23:02 AM »
Well, I'll certainly try WI18. And for the nut width, I don't think that 1mm is a big difference. Again, thank you.
P.S. Can you recommend some pickups for the WI64. I was thinking about Seymour Duncan Custom Custom(bridge) and '59(neck) or Gibson Burstbuckers.

Offline Slashpepper

• View Profile
Neck on Idols
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010, 08:37:16 AM »
Any time :-)

To be honest, I don't know a lot about specific pick ups... Something I've been looking into recently as well, but I'm going to have to replace my amp first, it's far more important.

What kind of sound are you going for? I actually really like the sound of the stock WI64 pickups, they're quite good for blues, very warm and well rounded as well as some heavy rock. They're pretty high output but I can't get a metal tone out of them at all. Ska, Blues and classic rock sound wonderful though!

Washburn WI556
Washburn WI320 PRO
Washburn WI64

Washburn WI556
Washburn WI320 PRO
Washburn WI64

Offline Misha

• View Profile
Neck on Idols
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 09:20:14 AM »
I play mostly blues, classic rock and hard rock, so I'll need some pickups that can cover everything(except metal). If stock pickups are good for me, I won't change them.

Offline Slashpepper

• View Profile
Neck on Idols
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2010, 09:43:36 AM »
Well that sounds perfect for you then. Obviously everyone has different tastes, so you might not like them, but Washburn's are pretty good with their pick-ups, unlike most manufacturers (I'm looking at you Ibanez...) they don't install god awful ones to begin with. Not sure what they are in the WI64, something made by Randall I believe.

In anycase, I think you'll like them, so worth trying them out first, you can always get them changed later on if needs be.

Good luck, and let me know what they play like! I love my WI64 and I've got guitars bought for 7 or 8 times the price that it'll keep up with in many respects... A fine guitar!

On a side note, does anyone know, with the new line up, if they'll still be doing these after the new idol shaped models come out?

Washburn WI556
Washburn WI320 PRO
Washburn WI64

Washburn WI556
Washburn WI320 PRO
Washburn WI64

Offline Misha

• View Profile
Neck on Idols
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2010, 09:55:57 AM »
WB630s are on WI64, Randalls are on WI45.

Anybody with an answer to my first question???? Are the necks the same(or similar) on the WI18 and WI64???
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 09:56:58 AM by Misha »

Offline ncmreynolds

• View Profile
Neck on Idols
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2010, 10:21:43 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by SlashpepperWashburn's are pretty good with their pick-ups, unlike most manufacturers

Yeah when I got my NX3 I was expecting the pickups (621 & 623 I think) to be a noticeable weak point. They even look a bit cheaply made with plastic bobbins that appear brittle.

However they're really quite decent IMO and my urge to get some BKP or SD zebras evaporated.

2 EC29s, 2 KC90s, NX3, G2-V, RR2-V and a whole load of Indies
<hr noshade size=1>
2 EC29s, RS10-V, RS8-V,  RR2-V, and a whole load of Indies

Offline Misha

• View Profile
Neck on Idols
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2010, 10:36:15 AM »
Another question - If I put new pickups on guitar, will I be able to put the pickup covers on top of them without doing any damage to the sound?

Offline Misha

• View Profile
Neck on Idols
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2010, 12:51:06 PM »
Anyone??

Offline Junior88

• The young gun
    • View Profile
Neck on Idols
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2010, 01:29:30 PM »
I dont think that will damage the sound.

Washburn N2, Washburn F10S
I've got some other stuff too.. Everything from guitars to a Balalaika.