Username: Password:

Author Topic: Washburn SB-40  (Read 11048 times)

Offline Hörnisse

• View Profile
Washburn SB-40
« on: July 12, 2010, 09:08:06 PM »
Hello, I am new here and would love to purchase an SB-40 fretted bass.  I figured this would be the best place to ask!  I've owned an original Bantam bass (small body like Steinberger) and have always loved the late 70's to early 80's basses.  Thank you for any leads.

Robert

Offline robbiewest

• View Profile
Washburn SB-40
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 08:41:21 AM »
I have one in See Through Cherry if you are interested it is listed on this forum.  Look for post under my user name.

Offline Hörnisse

• View Profile
Washburn SB-40
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 11:37:27 PM »
I'm very interested.  I'll send you an email for the details.  Thanks!

Offline Hörnisse

• View Profile
Washburn SB-40
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 11:41:21 PM »
I guess I don't have enough posts to send you an email yet.  You can email me at hornetamx(at)austin(dot)rr(dot)com

Thanks for your reply to my post.

Offline Hörnisse

• View Profile
Washburn SB-40
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 05:47:38 PM »
Rob, I was able to send you an email message.  Looking forward to hearing more about the bass.

Offline Hörnisse

• View Profile
Washburn SB-40
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 05:22:33 PM »
Rob, Still have not heard back from you about the bass.  Would you take $1000 for the bass including shipping?  I live in TX.  Thanks for any info.

Offline Hörnisse

• View Profile
Washburn SB-40
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 10:04:29 PM »
Took me long enough to find one but I did!  It is a 1981 model bass.  Was lucky enough to get it on Ebay.

Offline Meker

• View Profile
    • http://www.mekgames.com
Re: Washburn SB-40
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 03:30:07 PM »
Hey can you post the headstock picture on that beauty?

Offline Meker

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 12:55:47 AM »
BTW---I own 2 SB-40s.  They first came out as a 1981 mdl and hit the stores late 1980.  I bought my first then in LA, late 1980, sunburst and with creme pick-ups. I still have it. My second is a tobacco burst with black pick-ups.  SB-40's have 3 knobs and 2 switches and the truss rod cover say SB-40. They also have a separate battery compartment for 2 9V batts and the cavity covers are metal.  There are also some that say SB-40EQ on the truss cover (the 1982 SB model), but have exactly the same electronics/knobs/switches and werethe last year of SBs.  SBs are hard to find, I've have only located 6 in the last 30 years.  I've seen a lot of basses people think are SB-40's so its a common error.  I have seen people claim Vulture II's are SB-40----HUGE difference between the two. But gawd I love'em.

Your bass with the 4 knobs and 1 switch is, I think, even rarer than the SB-40s. It has a blank, wooden or plastic truss rod cover, yes?  I have seen about 3-4 like yours and the electronics of 4/1 is modeled off the Vulture II.  I have seen only one with the name on a truss rod cover which would solve the mystery, but it's too small to read. I have sent an email to please, please, please send me a picture of that truss rod cover. Its in Germany so hope to hell he does. He says its an--of all things--LB-40.  I have to assume he can read the darn name on his own bass, so have to assume its (and yours) is an LB-40.  DANG IT, I WANT TO SEE HIS HEADSTOCK!     I sure wish Washburn had kept their records--------!!!!!!!!! So there is another Washburn mystery I am trying to solve.
Sorry for the long post.  As I am trying to put together an authenticated history of the "confused years" 1978-1984, I'm digging up a lot but there are still major holes and I am seeking documentation on all of it.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 10:52:25 PM by Meker »

Offline iriegnome

• View Profile
    • http://www.cosmicrailroad.com
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 09:05:25 AM »
Hey MEKer... Great to see you here educating on the SB/Vulture thing!! Wow do we travel in tight circles huh!

Offline Meker

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2013, 05:39:43 PM »
Hi------old post but gotta bring it back up------more research shows the gorgeous bass with 4 knobs and 1 toggle is a B-40!!  A B-40.  Wish I had it. Am jealous.  :)

Offline camatra9

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2013, 08:21:00 AM »
Hey guys, I was just browsing the net for pics of my newly acquired 1981 Bass identical to the one above. It has Washburn on the top part of the headstock but certainly nothing on the rod cover. The cover seems genuine though has a porous kind of surface (same red) like it hasn't been top-coated.
I would load a pic of the cover right now but can't figure how, sorry.
The only reason I bought the Bass (which was in generally poor condition but looked easily restorable) was I own and restored a red wood-grained Mercury Series guitar. They are like brothers, lol.
The so-called LB40/Vulture came up pretty good with about 6 hours polishing and minor wiring repair. It has a few dings and clear-coat chips that i won't repair for the moment.
It sounds pretty damn good after I sorted all the adjustments and lowered the strings a fair bit. The neck's straightness is outstanding - i didn't adjust it at all (yet - maybe a small tweak after I play it for a while).
At 50 years I still play occasionally - moderate rock and, well, lotsa stuff.
So in a few weeks I'm testing it out on stage - sounds great to our funky type version of "VENUS".
No it's not for sale, sorry. But if pics will help anyone I'll send them to you.
Cheers from Australia, Carl

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2013, 06:23:15 PM »
Welcome. this is one easy way.    Tom.  :)    http://forums.washburn.com/index.php/topic,21807.0.html

Offline benzboy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2013, 10:30:42 PM »
Carl...can you send me some pictures please ...regards Steve ( benzboy)

Offline Meker

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2013, 05:33:47 PM »
Hey guys, I was just browsing the net for pics of my newly acquired 1981 Bass identical to the one above. It has Washburn on the top part of the headstock but certainly nothing on the rod cover. The cover seems genuine though has a porous kind of surface (same red) like it hasn't been top-coated.
I would load a pic of the cover right now but can't figure how, sorry.
The only reason I bought the Bass (which was in generally poor condition but looked easily restorable) was I own and restored a red wood-grained Mercury Series guitar. They are like brothers, lol.
The so-called LB40/Vulture came up pretty good with about 6 hours polishing and minor wiring repair. It has a few dings and clear-coat chips that i won't repair for the moment.
It sounds pretty damn good after I sorted all the adjustments and lowered the strings a fair bit. The neck's straightness is outstanding - i didn't adjust it at all (yet - maybe a small tweak after I play it for a while).
At 50 years I still play occasionally - moderate rock and, well, lotsa stuff.
So in a few weeks I'm testing it out on stage - sounds great to our funky type version of "VENUS".
No it's not for sale, sorry. But if pics will help anyone I'll send them to you.
Cheers from Australia, Carl

Can you please send me some pictures as well?  to mekentinc@yahoo.com would be great!! Thanks much!