Username: Password:

Author Topic: One piece neck worries (Face Eraser is warped)  (Read 17391 times)

Offline BlueBuddha

• View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/bluebuddha
One piece neck worries (Face Eraser is warped)
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2010, 11:43:03 AM »
going back to the way it was as a tree?

that kinda implies that Washburn untwisted to start with?!

40 years experience is still just ONE MAN's opinion.

are you using a BFTS tuner?

Offline nogin007

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2010, 12:36:49 PM »
Washburn obviously used a bad piece of wood for the neck of this guitar.

Washburn has more than 40 Years of experience. I have a local luthier that has more experience than that, but he will never touch another of my guitars. He did something that an experienced luthier would never do on a vintage instrument. I'll drive 4 times as far to another one i found out about, that knows what he is doing. As far as using a bad piece of wood. Doubtful!

Offline brad22386

• View Profile
    • http://boogiestreet.com/boogieboard/viewtopic.php?t=9216
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2010, 01:25:07 PM »
Every guitar manufacturure makes mistakes from time to time even on their Custom Shop stuff whether you guys want to believe it or not. The facts are the facts and it what it is. Its my fault for buying the guitar with out trying it but the warp is all Washburn, like or not.

Like I said earlier, I still love Washburn and I'm sure not all Washburn's one piece neck guitars warp like this but I still strongly suggest Washburn starts looking at building their Mahogany necks with 3 or more pieces to avoid possible warping in the future. Just my opinion.

I will say no more.

Offline the_high_number

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2010, 01:57:40 PM »
quote:
I took it to a 40 year experienced repair man & luthier the other day and He explained to me that this kind of warp usually has nothing to do with temperature changes and would happen regardless of how good it was treated over the years because this kind of warp is caused by the wood grain wanting to go back to the way it was when it was a tree and that Washburn obviously used a bad piece of wood for the neck of this guitar.

sorry, but you've missed my point.

you bought a guitar, for cash, in another country, that you've need seen or played.

now you're annoyed that it's not as you expected.

this isn't washburn's fault.

it's yours.

your beef is with the guy you bought it from, not washburn.

Offline boynamedsuse

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2010, 02:46:18 PM »
Sometimes this can be addressed by filing the frets, etc. Not the prettiest solution, but a good luthier could do it. Great looking guitar, by the way.

Offline mswhat298

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2010, 09:33:53 AM »
That's a sharp lookin' guitar, too bad about the neck.

Offline brad22386

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2010, 07:40:16 PM »
I'm talking back and forth about a possible repair with Ryan Struck at Washburn right now. I'm really on the fence with choosing to get Washburn to repair her or just to sell her. I wish I didn't spend around a $1000 on this guitar already or I would have jumped on Washburn's offer to fix her already. I wish I had the extra cash to get her fixed right now.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 03:22:38 PM by brad22386 »

Offline nogin007

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2010, 08:15:18 PM »
Good luck with it, whatever your decision is.

Offline brad22386

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2010, 11:25:38 PM »
Thanks man.

Offline Junior88

• The young gun
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2010, 01:14:07 PM »
I'll agree with the others, you can place all the blame. It's your fault too for buying a used guitar sight-unseen online.

I smell a troll.

Washburn N2, Washburn F10S
I've got some other stuff too.. Everything from guitars to a Balalaika.

Offline brad22386

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2010, 08:30:47 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Junior88

I'll agree with the others, you can place all the blame. It's your fault too for buying a used guitar sight-unseen online.

I smell a troll.

I don't know what kind of reaction your looking for by saying I smell a troll but your not going to get it me.

Offline darreno27

• View Profile
    • http://www.vintagewashburn.com
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2010, 10:35:48 PM »
Calm down guys.  I don't think the original poster was trying to spark anything - He is just disappointed with his x81 and wondered why it would be twisted.

I myself am surprised to see a recent USA custom shop having a twisted neck.  This isn't some strange 80's import he's talking about that was made from plywood.  This was a USA custom shop piece that retailed for 2k.  The previous owner either did something crazy to it, or the custom shop used a piece they shouldn't have.  3 piece laminated or not, I wouldn't expect a 2009 custom shop guitar to have this kind of problem so early on.  

I hope everything works out with it and Washburn can help you out.  As others said, at least it still looks killer!

Offline nogin007

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2010, 09:09:15 AM »
The previous owner might not have watched the humidity. Since it was in a desert environment since it was new, then transferred to the climate in Canada, might have had some effect on it. Hard to tell. All the older Gibsons and Martins, made with mahogany necks are still holding up. Give Brad credit. Read his ad. He tells all the details about the guitar. He's not trying to scam anyone, like a lot of sellers do these days. Hope it all works out for him.

Offline Junior88

• The young gun
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2010, 10:18:32 AM »
Well, nogin, it wouldn't be the first time he tried to scam someone.
quote:
Since it was in a desert environment since it was new, then transferred to the climate in Canada, might have had some effect on it. Hard to tell.

Im guessing you just busted it out of the case as soon as it arrived, right brad? Not giving it time to sit in the case and acclimatize? That probably played a big factor.

Offline Guitaristguy28

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2010, 01:52:10 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by darreno27

Calm down guys.  I don't think the original poster was trying to spark anything - He is just disappointed with his x81 and wondered why it would be twisted.

I myself am surprised to see a recent USA custom shop having a twisted neck.  This isn't some strange 80's import he's talking about that was made from plywood.  This was a USA custom shop piece that retailed for 2k.  The previous owner either did something crazy to it, or the custom shop used a piece they shouldn't have.  3 piece laminated or not, I wouldn't expect a 2009 custom shop guitar to have this kind of problem so early on.  

I hope everything works out with it and Washburn can help you out.  As others said, at least it still looks killer!

--------------------------
www.vintagewashburn.com
www.extendedcutaway.com

Based on its serial number 0701094 its almost 4 years old. Not that it makes a big difference. Still only 4 years old and has a warped neck. I'm not pointing any fingers, at this point whether it was environmental conditions or a piece of wood that had some time left to settle/dry will be hard to discern. [?] How much did washbun want to charge to fix it?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 01:52:54 PM by Guitaristguy28 »
'05 Washburn USA WV80 Prototype
'05 Washburn USA WV80