Username: Password:

Author Topic: HB15 need HELP!  (Read 2911 times)

Offline Macvez

• View Profile
HB15 need HELP!
« on: August 01, 2010, 01:39:03 PM »
When I first got this guitar it was wonderful.  I just cant get to the bridge to setup for the life of me.  Im sure anyone that has this guitar knows that it needs to be replaced.  No matter where I set the bridge I cant get the strings not to buzz on the first couple of frets.  Please help I have this wonderful guitar sitting around and I need to play it.
Washburn HB-15TS

Offline nogin007

• View Profile
HB15 need HELP!
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 03:59:22 PM »
Sounds like you need to take it in for a setup. Carry it back to your dealer, and have them give it a setup.

Offline Macvez

• View Profile
HB15 need HELP!
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 04:46:07 PM »
absolutely what I should do.  But I am kinda strapped for money at the moment.  I got the guitar about 4 years ago new as a trade.  I was kinda hoping for a temporary solution.  I appreciate the help.  I figure if I get it setup I might as well replace the cheaper bridge and nut with something nicer.  Any Suggestions on that?
Washburn HB-15TS

Offline NickS

• View Profile
HB15 need HELP!
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 06:57:49 PM »
Check the neck to see if it is straight. You may just need a slight up-curve (bow). If it is straight then it can be the slots in the nut are cut too low. Usually only turn the rod in the neck by 1/8 turn at a time. I normally make a neck adjustment once a year where I live. What gauge strings do you have on it. 11's would be best.

Offline Macvez

• View Profile
HB15 need HELP!
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 07:33:15 PM »
The first thing I did was check the neck...i'll be the first to admit im merely a novice when it comes to setting up guitars.  I have 10s on it right now so maybe thats my first problem.  I found a good bridge and nut replacements on stewwmac.  Im pretty certain the neck needs adjustment.  The guitar actually fell over pretty hard and has been a problem ever since.  Im a little intimidated about adjusting the truss rod...probably what it needs.  the nut is deep and plastic.  I just think this is the type of guitar that could be great with very little modding.
Washburn HB-15TS

Offline NickS

• View Profile
HB15 need HELP!
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 06:25:55 AM »
Are there any small cracks where the neck meets the body of the guitar, or where the headstock meets the necks' fretboard.

Offline Macvez

• View Profile
HB15 need HELP!
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 10:36:48 AM »
No cracks in those areas...there is a big crack in the laminate or clear coat whatever it is in the back.  I think it provides character tho.  My 3rd cousin is charlie daniels and i'd imagine all his guitars have massive belt rash on them.  What am I to do if the devil comes...I guess I could battle him with my 78' ibanez pf200.  I think its possible the tailpiece could have gotten bent down or just that the bridge is set so very wrong.  You would think with only two methods of adjustment i'd be able to get it but not mac no no...
Washburn HB-15TS

Offline hollywoodmark

• View Profile
HB15 need HELP!
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 02:36:29 PM »
I don't know enough about guitar mechanics to say whether channging to 11s would help your buzz, but it will SURE help your sound. I have the same model. When I got it--second-hand--it had 12-gauge flats on it. Unbelievable sound. Just for fun, I switched them out for half-round 11s. Still a nice fat sound, but nothing like the 12s. Take it to your tech, get it set up right, and put some substantial strings on it. You'll be grateful you did.
Mark