Username: Password:

Author Topic: NC 70 Idols,"dowdy" guitars..?  (Read 9291 times)

Offline Thanos Idol-o-latris

• View Profile
NC 70 Idols,"dowdy" guitars..?
« on: August 03, 2010, 02:33:55 PM »
Just got the September issue of Guitar/Bass magazine,where they review the new PRS Nick Catanese model(bad move,Nick..),and ilttle after the beginning stuff,it goes one to say that ZW's axes are almost as extroveret as their owner but poor Nick has been strumming along on some rather dowdy guitars-until last year when a new Nick Catanese PRS signature model came into development

The NC 70 Idols..?Dowdy guitars..?has the guy even seen/played/heard about/read elsewhere one..?Cause I have and the least I could think was that they are some dowdy guitars..

God I am pissed off..

Offline BlueBuddha

• View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/bluebuddha
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 03:19:42 PM »
i still don't get why a rhythm guitarist had a signature model

Offline CivoLee

• View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/peroxidebase
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 01:08:16 PM »
Well, technically Paul Stanley is a rhythm guitarist...Malcom Young has a signature model Gretsch, too, and Scott Ian has had signature Jacksons and Washburns (remember the Murder Weapon?)...last year my band pared down from a 4 piece to a trio after giving up trying to find a new bass player (rhythm guitarist switched to bass).  Some say having another guitarist in the band can box you in, but I kinda miss being able to play interlocking parts and I've found it more difficult to play solos because unless I play thousand notes and never go above the 19th fret, it seems like there's a big hole in the song (sure, I can do it, but for the most part it's just not my style).  Please don't underestimate the importantance of rhythm guitarists.

As for that review, you should know that if it's not one of the Magnificent Seven (Fender, Gibson, PRS, Schecter, ESP, Ibanez, and Jackson) or some super high end boutique maker like Don Grosh or Framus, then it's OBVIOUSLY a no name cheap piece of crap.  Because no one knows how great the Idols are...BECAUSE WASHBURN SUCKS AT MARKETING THEM!!!

Offline BlueBuddha

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 02:00:06 PM »
nah. rhythm guitar has its uses in the studio but live its never worked for me, never had a problem with a spaced out solo

i've never found a rhythm guitarist who didn't wanna try (and fail) to play lead! in my experience most rhythm guys are failed lead guys

Offline Rocket

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 02:20:18 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by BlueBuddha

in my experience most rhythm guys are failed lead guys

That merely shows that you have very limited experience.

Offline BlueBuddha

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 02:50:34 PM »
sure dude, 3 years at Brighton Institute of Modern Music surrounded by musicians 5 days a week, taught by some of the best musicians in the UK all sharing their experience and stories, 8 years of gigging but i guess you know best cuz you're the grumpy troll.

Offline Rocket

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 03:46:07 PM »
quote:

sure dude, 3 years at Brighton Institute of Modern Music surrounded by musicians 5 days a week, taught by some of the best musicians in the UK all sharing their experience and stories, 8 years of gigging but i guess you know best cuz you're the grumpy troll.

Like I said... very limited experience.

Offline BlueBuddha

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2010, 03:56:59 PM »
where did you troll before the internet?

Offline Rocket

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2010, 04:10:06 PM »
quote:

Good one! You really put me in my place that time.

(I do get your point... takes a musical prodigy to crank the distortion and throw 2-finger power chords up & down the neck.)

Offline CivoLee

• View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/peroxidebase
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2010, 05:34:46 PM »
Hey, watch it guys...I started out on rhythm guitar and originally had no intentions of playing anything beyond power chords and textural parts, but when I started playing with other guitarists they'd start out with chord progressions and I'd play melodies over them because I wanted to compliment what they were playing, and all of a sudden people started calling me a soloist...to this day I'm no virtuoso shredder, but I can play decent lead parts that fit the songs pretty well.

Offline Rocket

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2010, 05:45:58 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by CivoLee

...to this day I'm no virtuoso shredder, but I can play decent lead parts that fit the songs pretty well.

virtuoso shredder = oxymoron

Offline jeffy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 08:44:44 PM »
Shouldn't we ALL be able to play rhythm AND lead? Just sayin'.......Oh,and FWIW,I think dowdy was an attempt to suck up to PRS. Washburn doesn't make dowdy guitars. But then I don't think Washburn's ever recieved the coverage they deserve.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 08:48:15 PM by jeffy »

Offline antant

• View Profile
    • http://antantgear.blogspot.com
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2010, 02:10:02 AM »
Hi Thanos and the others, I think Idols are excellent, I had a Les Paul for 12 yrs and I can tell ... I also think that the X series are very good and I agree that Washburn's marketing should be better. Although, in this vanity world it should be enough for one to built a good guitar and sell it good, than to advertize it ... Washburn DOES build good guitars, but unfortunately this is not enough

Check my blog for my axes, details and short reviews and tech tips

http://antantgear.blogspot.com

Antonis

Offline boynamedsuse

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2010, 11:22:26 AM »
It seems Washburn is trying to improve their image and marketing--at least it looks that way to me. With the new owners it may take a little time. I suspect the situation and options look a whole lot different if you are in charge and have budgetary limitations and so forth to work with.

With regard to rhythm guitarists somehow being lower status, I believe that is only in the eyes of self-professed lead guitarists.

Offline Hawaii69

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2010, 02:36:36 AM »
quote:

You're the one taking a dump on rhythm guitarists.  Some peoplke just enjoy playing mucis with others.

Rocket has also been here 2 years longer than you.

...and he's the troll?  Get over yourself.
My Guitars:
Quilt Blue WI66Pro
Alvarez RD20S