Username: Password:

Author Topic: NC 70 Idols,"dowdy" guitars..?  (Read 8958 times)

Offline wully

• View Profile
NC 70 Idols,"dowdy" guitars..?
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2010, 07:59:34 AM »
Not all virtuoso lead guitar 'stars' are GOOD rhythm players. Some even VALUE a good rhythm guitarist, and give them due acknowledgment!
Just 'cos someone can **** all up and down the guitar neck doesn't necessarily make them 'interesting'. In fact, fast widdly guitar **** is some of the most boring s**te out there! IMO..

So I don't have a problem with rhythm players having a sig. model, as such...

Offline alpheus94

• View Profile
    • http://rnamusiconline.com
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2010, 03:25:54 PM »
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm  Rhythm players.........signatures..........James Hetfield?

I think it's funny Nick's old signatures were USA Custom shops.  HIs PRS sigs are imports. What does that tell you. He hasn't been playing his actual signature guitar.

Washburn's marketing and artist roster needs help.

They were on the right track with the actual construction and build of Nicks guitars but I didn't dig the big ET. Thick body deep carve LP killers though......awesome. Marketing fail.
Owner of RNA MUSIC.

Offline boynamedsuse

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2010, 03:42:24 PM »
I think that the reason for the change was on Washburn's part, not Nick's. An example:
http://www.musicradar.com/gear/all/guitars/electric/6-string-solid-body/se-nick-catanese-267945/review

Offline alpheus94

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2010, 03:52:11 PM »
I knew it was washburns decision. Probably based on the fact that his guitars weren't selling. The reason to have a signature artist is so people will buy the guitar. Now, how much of the lack of sales of Nicks guitar was his fault for not stepping out and doing clinics and such, and how much was Washburns overall marketing which we all know is LAME is debateable. All I'm saying is His USA guitars were very very high quality USA custom shop guitars. Washy should produce the same guitar without the big ugly ET. and market it as something else.
Owner of RNA MUSIC.

Offline Tio Kimo

• you're never too old to be what you might've been
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2010, 05:46:36 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by alpheus94

Washy should produce the same guitar without the big ugly ET. and market it as something else.

They did make that guitar. Eric's still got one for sale. Go to this page and scroll halfway down (trying not to damage your keyboard with saliva while your at it)

Sweet blackburst ET Idol, no logo.
http://www.oldtownschool.org/
'95 Washburn D-55SW Cherokee (Bourgeois)
'04 Larrivée LV-03 w/ Fishman blend
'02 Heritage 535
'12 Heritage 150
'10 Larrivée RS-2
'11 Benford Tele
'12 Kirn Barn Buster
Marshall AS50D
Little Lanilei 3350LT
Champlifier
Boogie DC-2

Offline alpheus94

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2010, 06:46:39 PM »
I mean one that isn't a signature model.....those were special orders for BSG not production runs.
Owner of RNA MUSIC.

Offline Tio Kimo

• you're never too old to be what you might've been
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2010, 07:00:22 PM »
there are two No Logo ET's on there , the second of which is a Nick Catanese no logo USA Custom Build. Is that not what you're talking about?
http://www.oldtownschool.org/
'95 Washburn D-55SW Cherokee (Bourgeois)
'04 Larrivée LV-03 w/ Fishman blend
'02 Heritage 535
'12 Heritage 150
'10 Larrivée RS-2
'11 Benford Tele
'12 Kirn Barn Buster
Marshall AS50D
Little Lanilei 3350LT
Champlifier
Boogie DC-2

Offline boynamedsuse

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2010, 08:01:54 PM »
[off topic]
Looking for something on the BSG website is an exercise in frustration--beyond the usual GAS pains, that is. Pretty much every page loads excruciatingly slowly, and even after being loaded, scrolling is a sluggish, jerky experience. [B)]
[/off topic]

Offline alpheus94

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2010, 09:03:11 PM »
Still has ET on the 12th fret. Still has nicks signature on the truss rod cover. It is still a Nick Catanese Sig. I'm talking about Washburn building a guitar with those specs...thick body, deep carve,no ET anywhere. No association with an artist at all. And make it a production run USA. as far as I know before they built one for Nick there wasn't an Idol like that produced at all. Thick Body, deep carve, maple neck, ebony fretboard.....

This No Logo ET is still an ET and was probably too little too late for getting this guitar out to the masses who weren't BLS fans only. It was a great idea to get this guitar to reach beyond the very small niche of BLS fans.

I have a USA Pilson that has the thickness, but not the pronounced carve. and dot inlays aren't that cool imo.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 09:04:31 PM by alpheus94 »
Owner of RNA MUSIC.

Offline ncmreynolds

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2010, 05:51:42 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by alpheus94
I'm talking about Washburn building a guitar with those specs...thick body, deep carve,no ET anywhere. No association with an artist at all.

I agree, but I doubt it'll happen.

When I got offered a great deal on a USA Idol here in the UK all the Nick Catanese associated stuff put me right off. I probably wouldn't have bought it whatever, but I definitely wasn't going to buy a guitar heavily 'branded' for an artist I have zero interest in.

I have a KH-502, which is only really an 'artist' guitar because of the skull and crossbones fretboard inlays. Without these it could be any old superstrat. The skull and crossbones is also a pretty generic image, even if sticking it on a fretboard does associate it with Hammett. WTF is ExTx all about?

The artist guitar is a double edged sword. I sought out the KH-502 because whatever their faults I'm an old Metallica fan. However I wouldn't have bought it if it was overly 'branded'. I probably wouldn't buy a Ouija even if one came up really cheap.

This is also why I have an NX3 rather than one of the 'import' Nunos, there is just too much artist association for me.
<hr noshade size=1>
2 EC29s, RS10-V, RS8-V,  RR2-V, and a whole load of Indies