Username: Password:

Author Topic: basement find...  (Read 8597 times)

Offline couleerugs

• View Profile
basement find...
« on: August 05, 2010, 12:56:15 PM »
I just bought an old, old Washburn acoustic from a basement; sides cracked, other problems; it came with tooled all-leather fitted case. There is a paper label with written numbers, above the George Washburn brand, plus another stamped series of numbers to the left of the brand which appears to include 1907. Usual inlay around the soundhole, 18 frets. The bridge is detached; black with a 'gear' or flowerhead inlay at either end. Typical spruce top. If this is enough initial info to generate a post and spur interest I will attempt to post photos.
larry bergman

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
basement find...
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 02:02:44 PM »
Sounds like an old Washburn parlor guitar to me.

Post some photos, these things generate a fair amount of interest around here.

You might try the Acoustic Guitar Players Post Comments and Questions section, too.

Cheers!

Dugly [8D]

YerDugliness, Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, retired & attempting to age disgracefully!!
Washburns: WD32SW, D61SW, and C124SW
Other fine acoustic guitars by Breedlove (custom shop Revival Series 000), Darren Hippner (#506), Takamini (2005 LTD), Epiphone (Masterbilt AJ500RC), and Yamaha (G231-II)

YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,D62SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline couleerugs

• View Profile
basement find...
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 04:28:16 PM »
Thanks. I forgot to mention: just to the right of the GW brand oval is another brand or stamp which says NEW MODEL. Does that help ID it?
larry bergman

Offline radenshirinji

• View Profile
basement find...
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 07:58:53 PM »
It would be better if we can see the photos.

Offline keef

• View Profile
basement find...
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 11:10:27 AM »
Likely a pre-1905 parlor guitar. The left stamp should say '1897 style'. Bridge inlays mean it's a mid priced model.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 11:12:56 AM by keef »

Offline couleerugs

• View Profile
basement find...
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 01:44:34 PM »
Yup, that's what it says. Thanks for the help. I'll post photos but it'll require help to post them. This old guitar has endured alot of neglect over the decades, especially humidity shifts but should be a candidate for restoration with some proper glue and an experienced luthier. Purfling is loose, several inches missing altogether, the back is detached at one place, some other minor owies. At some point I'll need to ask for a recommendation: who's around my area (west-central Wisc.) who would take this on? How much should I safely invest in this? I mentioned that the tooled leather case, which seems to be made for this model, is in three pieces. Any decent leathersmith could bring it back...right (?).
larry bergman

Offline couleerugs

• View Profile
basement find...
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 08:25:48 PM »
OK guys: I've got photos but I'm darned if I can figure out how to post them. Can someone get me headed in the right direction? The How to Post.... thing is 'locked'....HELP
larry bergman

Offline YerDugliness

• View Profile
basement find...
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 10:38:42 PM »
Goto Photobucket dot com and establish a membership.  Their upload process is pretty self-explanatory.  Once you get the photos uploaded, resize them to large, which is like 800X600...that will size them so that no excessive scrolling from side to side is necessary. To post a photo in the forum, put your cursor on the photo on Photobucket and there will appear four codes below the photo...copy and paste the IMG code into your post on the forum and there will appear the photo.

Looking forward to seeing the photos!

Cheers from.....

Dugly [8D]

Other fine acoustic guitars by Breedlove (custom shop Revival Series 000), Darren Hippner (#506), Takamini (2005 LTD), Epiphone (Masterbilt AJ500RC), and Yamaha (G231-II)

Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline couleerugs

• View Profile
basement find...
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 05:55:24 PM »
Dugly, I've posted the pics on Photobucket and that's where they are stuck. I'm just not facile enough to go any further. I would like to email to you my user/password on P'bucket so you're able to access the Guitar pics and hopefully post them for me. Please contact me at my Triwest.net email. Larry Bergman
larry bergman

Offline YerDugliness

• View Profile
basement find...
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 07:10:40 PM »
I'd be glad to help, Larry....but before you give out a password, let's try a bit more guidance right here.

Pick one of the photos on the Photobucket website that you want to post in a thread.....use your mouse to place the cursor right on the photo.  AS soon as you do that you will see a box appear directly below the photo with SHARE on the bar at top, and 4 codes in the box.  The top code will be labeled Email and IM, the second will say Direct Link, the third will say HTML Code, and the bottom will say IMG Code.  Each of the codes is to the right of the label.  Move your cursor to the right of the label, left click on the mouse to hilight it, and then right click to get your drop down menu. Select Copy, left click and the code is copied and ready to paste into the thread here on the forum.

To paste the link into a forum thread, position the cursor all the way on the left, like you would to start a comment, and right click, choose paste, and left click on paste.  The link will be embeded into your post and the photo will show.

Here's the difference between the two that work for a post on the forum....first the Direct Link

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd89/YerDugliness/102_2727.jpg

and now the IMG code (which has most likely been resized to large, but that is not necessary:

{edit---I see the Direct Link works just like that, a link that you have to open by clicking on it....the photo you see in this post is from the IMG Code.  BTW--does that look like a Washburn crown headstock on that guitar[?]}

Hope this helps.....if not, contact me through the link in my profile and I'll post them for you.

Dugly [8D]

« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 07:16:05 PM by YerDugliness »

Offline couleerugs

• View Profile
basement find...
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2010, 09:21:41 PM »

I hope this is the first photo. If it works, I'll do several more. Dugly: Thanks for the kindergarten course.  LB
larry bergman

Offline couleerugs

• View Profile
basement find...
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2010, 09:25:26 PM »
Yup...seems to work. rk.
larry bergman

Offline couleerugs

• View Profile
basement find...
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2010, 09:27:40 PM »
Label and brands...
larry bergman

Offline couleerugs

• View Profile
basement find...
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2010, 09:30:05 PM »
Hell man, I feel like I'm ready to work for Bill Gates.  
larry bergman

Offline couleerugs

• View Profile
basement find...
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2010, 09:32:29 PM »
Note the crack in the 'heel'  
larry bergman