Username: Password:

Author Topic: basement find...  (Read 8738 times)

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
basement find...
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2010, 09:37:35 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by couleerugs

Dugly: Thanks for the kindergarten course.  LB

larry bergman

Glad it worked!

It looks not bad so far....resetting the bridge will be a very inexpensive repair, I had one removed (it was lifting) and reset by a good luthier and it cost $40.  Since yours is aready off, it should be less.

The important thing is that the top is intact, not broken.  This might well be a worthwhile repair project...how about some more photos of the cracks in the sides (not the most difficult repairs, either)?  Looks like the heel is also cracked where the neck joins the body.

Any more information regarding its history?  Did the owner have any knowledge of its playability before the bridge lifted (might need the neck reset...that would probably be the most intense repair).

Cheers on your newfound computer chops!!

Dugly [8D]

YerDugliness, Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, retired & attempting to age disgracefully!!
Washburns: WD32SW, D61SW, and C124SW
Other fine acoustic guitars by Breedlove (custom shop Revival Series 000), Darren Hippner (#506), Takamini (2005 LTD), Epiphone (Masterbilt AJ500RC), and Yamaha (G231-II)

YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,D62SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline couleerugs

• View Profile
basement find...
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2010, 09:37:44 PM »
Purfling gone.  
larry bergman

Offline couleerugs

• View Profile
basement find...
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2010, 09:39:45 PM »
larry bergman

Offline couleerugs

• View Profile
basement find...
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2010, 09:43:29 PM »
Last photo: The crack at the top doesn't go all the way thru but it's still a crack. Thanks again for the primer.
larry bergman

Offline couleerugs

• View Profile
basement find...
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2010, 10:02:17 PM »
Nope, nothing on the guitar's past. The top appears to be fine. I drove to Marquette MI to bid on the antique Persian rugs (which I collect) some of which are draped over the couch. The Washburn and leather case were in the basement of that house. I'm a woodworker and I know winter/summer humidity changes cause wood to expand + contract = split...although that doesn't explain the heel split. Like any old fragile object, this guitar almost certainly survived several generations of family who didn't care about Grandpa's ratty old instrument and probably just kicked it out of the way for a long time. Old rust on the remaining fragments of strings tells me it's been laying in the basement for a long time. Happy to answer any questions. L.Bergman
larry bergman

Offline YerDugliness

• View Profile
basement find...
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2010, 01:33:55 PM »
The crack in the head is only the head-plate, a very thick veneer.  Fretboard and inlays look intact, the back is intact.....IMHO this might well be repairable.  The luthier can replace the purfling, looks like the back needs to be re-attached to the perimeter bracing, anyway.

A couple of suggestions....if you think you are going to try some of the repairs yourself, I'd suggest you post a thread in a recent addition to the forum, the Guitar Care, Repair, Modification and Lutherie board:

http://forums.washburn.com/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=51

And.....while vintage is not an incorrect location for this instrument, parlors get a lot more attention in the Acoustic Guitar Players Post Comments and Questions section, so you might well get more traffic here:

http://forums.washburn.com/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=8

Dugly [8D]

Other fine acoustic guitars by Breedlove (custom shop Revival Series 000), Darren Hippner (#506), Takamini (2005 LTD), Epiphone (Masterbilt AJ500RC), and Yamaha (G231-II)

« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 01:38:36 PM by YerDugliness »
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline keef

• View Profile
basement find...
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2010, 05:08:33 PM »
That's a style 134, a mid level Washburn made between 1896 and 1905. The style number and the serial number are also stamped at the upper end of the headstock, the serial number as well on the neck block inside the body and on the small label.

Repairing this is work for a very experienced luthier, since most of these oldies need a neck reset (after steaming out the neck) and a refret to make them playable. Pretty expensive, but in view of the condition of this guitar it could be worthwile.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 05:12:56 PM by keef »

Offline couleerugs

• View Profile
basement find...
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2010, 06:26:29 PM »
Thanks for that opinion; that helps. I'll bring it to Dave's Guitar in LaCrosse WI when I get down there and inquire about selling it outright. They've been pretty decent to me in the past. You might want to check their site online. Pretty high quality stuff. Anyway, yep, there're numbers where you said. If the guitar price guide gives me an estimate for style 134 then I'll know if I'm made a fair offer. Keep in touch. LB
larry bergman

Offline YerDugliness

• View Profile
basement find...
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2010, 08:01:46 PM »
Larry, KEEF literally wrote the book.....seriously, he authored a book on pre-war Washburns.  If he says it, you can take it to the bank.

Glad you got some difinitive answers!

Cheers from.....

Dugly [8D]

Offline keef

• View Profile
basement find...
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2010, 05:02:11 AM »
Dave is a GREAT guy - I can't think of anybody else I'd recommend more to buy a guitar from.

I'm sure though that he won't be very interested in selling this guitar in its present condition (as most dealers). But don't take that to the bank...

Elderly (Lansing, MI) is also a great suggestion. They have a top notch repair department too, and will sometimes offer 'as is' stuff like your guitar.

Offline couleerugs

• View Profile
basement find...
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2010, 09:00:34 AM »
Thanks guys. This has been fun. Acquiring something old like this guitar, knowing nothing about it other than that it seems to have merit, is the best way I know to learn; invest a little money, maybe get burnt, maybe not. I never expected to profit 'thousands' although I did that once with a pristine Wm. Stahl (Larson) 3/4 size from about 1925. Dave's got that one from me, also an old Epiphone Zenith, and everybody was happy. I don't play much anymore since an encounter with my tablesaw which ripped through my four left fingertips, no feeling left there. Remember, the saw ALWAYS wins!
I'll bring this Washburn to Dave's and see what repairs will cost and if they're interested. As I said, after you've put some cash into something, shooting from the hip, there's motivation to learn. This website came to the rescue, and I want to state that I appreciate that you're all there. More soon.  LB
larry bergman

Offline cedwards

• View Profile
basement find...
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2010, 12:30:05 PM »
quote:
I don't play much anymore since an encounter with my tablesaw which ripped through my four left fingertips, no feeling left there. Remember, the saw ALWAYS wins!

Just as I'm approaching using my new tablesaw for the first time with no little degree of anxiety. [:0] Yeesh! Anybody wanna buy a mint tablesaw?
Seize the Fish
WG2S, D10SCE, WI45, JM300S, Lyon L115
'70s Univox LP Copy

Offline Rocket

• View Profile
basement find...
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2010, 12:44:14 PM »
quote:

I don't play much anymore since an encounter with my tablesaw which ripped through my four left fingertips, no feeling left there. Remember, the saw ALWAYS wins!

Not always... the saw may cut things down a tad but that doesn't mean it wins. Ever hear of Django Reinhardt or Tony Iommi?

Nice thing about guitars... while long fingers are desirable, they're not a requirement: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1QCc5lk35c

Offline YerDugliness

• View Profile
basement find...
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2010, 12:38:22 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Rocket

Nice thing about guitars... while long fingers are desirable, they're not a requirement

....in fact, fingers, themselves, are not a requirement:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dJs9Or4oBs&feature=related

Dugly [8D]

Offline cedwards

• View Profile
basement find...
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2010, 08:10:33 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Rocket

Not always... the saw may cut things down a tad but that doesn't mean it wins. Ever hear of Django Reinhardt or Tony Iommi?

Nice image that . . . Django workin' away at the table saw.[:)]
Seize the Fish
WG2S, D10SCE, WI45, JM300S, Lyon L115
'70s Univox LP Copy