Username: Password:

Author Topic: 12 string: fingerboard sinking into soundhole  (Read 3357 times)

Offline WWJP

• View Profile
12 string: fingerboard sinking into soundhole
« on: August 05, 2010, 03:47:56 PM »
Only a couple of days ago I purchased a great sounding Washburn 12 string. Today I noticed that the fingerboard seemed to be sinking into the soundhole, starting at about the 14th fret. The soundboard seems sunken in a bit too, but only on the upper half of the guitar. The lower part of the soundboard shows no bellying, no deformation below or above the bridge.
What could this mean? Could it be that I simply have to try to humidify the guitar and perhaps adjust the trussrod or is this the first sign of a more serious problem? The saddle has been lowered by the previous owner (which could point to a neck angle problem) and I'm now getting concerned that my beautiful and great sounding Washburn is not as great as I thought it was after all. Any thoughts on what this might mean?

Offline mcloud10

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 04:25:32 PM »
As hard as it may be to do, a photo would answer a lot of questions.

Mark

-------------------
'73 Washburn W240 (Under Restoration)
'08 Washburn D10SCE
'08 Washburn D10QBK (Son's)
'09 Washburn C104SCE Classical
'89 Washburn C10N Classical
'73 Sivertone Model 319
-------------------
'71 Yamaha FG-300 (in restoration)
'73 Washburn W240
'08 Washburn D10SCE
'08 Washburn D10QBK (Son's)
'09 Washburn C104SCE Classical (Son's)
'10 Washburn WC150SW Classical
Washburn Rover RO20 Travel Guitar
Behringer ACX450

Offline WWJP

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 06:11:48 AM »
Hi Mark,

Easier said than done. Right now I haven't even got an url to upload my photos to and since I have never uploaded pictures before I've no idea how to do it either. But I'll see whether I can figure out how to do that and I'll also try to make a couple of good photographs as well.
Part of the problem could be humidity related though, my classical guitar is showing signs of dehydration as well. I've started working on dehydrating both guitars. Strangely enough my steelstring doesn't show any signs of dehydration though and my hygrometer is well in the safe zone.
Ah well, let's see whether the situation of my patients improves over the next week or so.

Thanks so far.

Esther

Offline WWJP

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 06:16:45 AM »
Of course I meant REhydrating my guitars ;-)

Offline wrmurphy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 11:33:10 AM »
If you look in the, Show us your Washburn, section you'll see a section labeled, how to post a picture. Most people on the forum use Photobucket to post their pictures, its free.

Murph

Offline WWJP

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 03:21:05 AM »
Looks like the problem was humidity related after all. I had my guitars stored in a closed room with the humidifier on for the last couple of days and they all show signs of improvement. Must admit I'm a bit surprised as it is summer here and my hygrometer was well in the safe zone. So thanks for reading my post, but the problem is almost gone now.
Esther