Username: Password:

Author Topic: New Washburn 2010-2011 Catalogs posted.  (Read 11483 times)

Offline berniefan

• View Profile
New Washburn 2010-2011 Catalogs posted.
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2010, 10:22:55 AM »
A Fender employee? Uhm, no. Why do you ask?

Are you naive, or what? Maybe just a wishful thinker. Not sure why you are defending such shoddy craftsmanship.

As to what happened, my guess is that Washburn management cheaped out on photography thinking no one would notice. Photoshopping happens all the time. If you can spot it in an instant, then it wasn't done very well.

So if they cheaped on photography, would it be fair to assume they will 'cheap' on the actual product or its components too?

It DOES matter if the images are of dubious quality. If you were a dealer, would you stock up on these cut and paste guitars?

To quote: If the picture is enough to give me the idea, then it has done its job. From there, the proof rests on the actual guitar and how it plays and sounds.

The images in this catalog are what gave me the idea that something ain't right at Washburn. I wonder if that was their intent. Somehow I doubt it.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 10:47:29 AM by berniefan »

Offline Slashpepper

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2010, 10:48:32 AM »
I'd imagine on such a large company, the budgets for guitar production and promotion aren't in any way related... the poor photoshop'ing is passable, I've never owned a shop, but from my experience in the locals they have reps come and visit with each of the models so they can see in person. I'd hope most stores with any kind of actual guitar knowledge wouldn't buy straight from a catalogue without some first hand experience of the range, especially with the knowledge that the catalogue was a pre-production example. (Although if it was my shop, I'd get really annoyed at the images and complain because I do a lot of design in my current employment and I like such things being perfect, but it wouldn't stop me trying out the guitars and wouldn't affect the final decision.)

In the end, I'd say the images did the job, but I'm not someone that would be swayed by them or in fact in the industry, so I could well be wrong.

edit: changed the incorrect would to wouldn't. Makes sense now!

Washburn WI556
Washburn WI320 PRO
Washburn WI64
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 11:11:19 AM by Slashpepper »

Washburn WI556
Washburn WI320 PRO
Washburn WI64

Offline berniefan

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2010, 11:21:29 AM »
I would suggest that if the catalog doesn't help sell the product, then the plot is lost - which leads be back to my first post with regards to a disclaimer.

'The guitars in this catalog are for position only, we haven't built them yet, but we can vouch for their performance, and fit and finish. Wanna order 12? They don't look like the pictures, but trust us, they are awesome'....

How many guitars are bought and sold outside of the local music shop where there is no rep doing a face to face sale? Online sales are nothing new, and I would imagine they make up a large percentage of overall sales.

And we can discuss Washburn's presence in your local shops here too, as it is related. Their presence is relatively non existent, up here in Western Canada anyway. The local dealer here rolls his eyes when we discuss Washburn - he says he never knows what he is gonna get, so he doesn't order them.

Cue low res, Photoshopped guitar image.

That is why, in my opinion, a GREAT looking catalog is important.

Offline Slashpepper

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2010, 11:49:23 AM »
Well my particular position in this is unusual, so it won't help, as my local shop owner loves Washburn so they have always had quite a range, but I'm pretty sure that's an unusual situation as I've never really seen them outside of this one fantastically stocked shop (in the UK Midlands). Can't say I've discussed the Washburn dealer with them to be honest, but the UK distributer is really on the ball, so it's better than most; don't get me started on what the local shops (and I) say about the PRS Dealer around here, how they make any sales at all is beyond me.

It depends on what the catalogue is for I think, if the rep brings along a sample of instruments to show the quality and range of features, then the catalogue is merely to show the various combinations of the features and build quality that they've experienced, rather than to demonstrate quality. *shrugs* I don't know. It's kind of saddening that they only have the two signature artists in the now, the backgrounds are also pretty boring. On the whole it's not a very exciting brochure which is why I'm thinking it demonstrating the range as an aid for the reps, but I've never seen the reps or know anything about how they advertise Washburn so my debating stand is from personal opinion only, unfortunately. My mind's on informational rather than promotional.

In the end though, any large company should really have top quality production in anything they do and Washburn haven't really outdone themselves in this particular release, so from a professional point of view I agree completely, there's no room for shoddy work in this business. But from a personal point of view, I don't see it as being that bad for business, depending on the various clauses we've been debating. In fact, any people with guitar rep and or/guitar store experience want to chip in here? It'd be rather helpful. It'd also be interesting to know where most of the income from sales comes from, as I'm guessing (wildly) that they sell a load to the various local distributors who then get it to various online stores and shops, or do Washburn employ reps themselves in each Country?

I really know nothing about the industry.

I've considered a number of guitars from online and that's the first catalogue I've ever looked at, the websites and reviews are where I go to for information, but there's a good chance I'm also unusual in this. Luckily Washburn's website looks pretty good now, even if most of the guitars on there haven't been in production for a good year or so (that's another qualm...) but at least the images are of decent quality!

Washburn WI556
Washburn WI320 PRO
Washburn WI64

Washburn WI556
Washburn WI320 PRO
Washburn WI64

Offline JonBouye

• View Profile
    • http://www.wix.com/JonBouye/AcousticJams
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2010, 10:44:25 PM »
I posted this on the other thread but it may be moore appropriate here with this discussion. I'm not as interested in the quality of the pictures as I am with the details given for the instruments themselves. I'd like to see spec sheets for the items not just a paragraph highlighting features. Information such as width of the neck at the nut and heel, upper and lower bout widths, body length, waist deminsions, etc. is useful when determining which series of guitar would best fulfill your application.

More information about the construction and the tonewoods being used and why those tonal qualities were chosen for that particular instrument, IMHO would be appealing to attrack new aspiring musicians to the brand and build a confidence level with them that they could depend on Washburn to be there with the solutions to their needs.

I think a greater focus on the benfits for the user would be a stronger appeal to all customers rather than just pointing out the features and the history of the brand should demand respect. When I look at a catalog I like to to have enough info to spark my interest enough to want to investigate further with a visit to their website for more info and then to a dealer for a hnads on look.

That's just me and they way I like to do things. I don't really expect everyone to be the same we are all different, but even before I bought my new guitar and even with all the excellent advise from y'all, I looked at the website but found it somewhat lacking of info I wanted, then made a trip to a local dealer. It was the hands on experience that finally sealed my decision so I made the purchase.

'09 D10SCE
'96 Alvarez-Yairi Sig DY61
JT-300QMT-AMB
Washburn D10SCEN
'96 Alvarez-Yairi Sig DY61

http://www.wix.com/JonBouye/AcousticJams

Offline boynamedsuse

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2010, 11:47:03 PM »
I agree with JonBouye's response. Advertising materials from Washburn tend to lack quantifiable specifications. Color and whatnot is fine, but people need more. [:)] I suspect it would be more desirable for them to include a variety of specifications. Some people won't care, but the gear heads will--and they not only make up a significant percentage of the customer base, but they tend to influence other players.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 12:03:50 AM by boynamedsuse »

Offline shaulin

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2010, 12:36:25 PM »
This catalog is just bad, using PS mock ups to show your product is just bad decision making
look at other guitar makers, they take the time to get their instrument professionally
photographed, pictures sells, alot of Washburn dealers learned that themselves, look at Funky Munky
 the Music Farm, Carlino, and not to mention Boogie Street Guitars who take freakin amazing pictures.
Washburn used to take excellent pictures of their instruments, I guess the new management don't wanna
put any money into it.

out of the wide range of actions a company should perform in order to promote the brand, the catalog is
 part of the company's image and by the look of this catalog, the new owners think of
Washburn like a junk brand.

'07 Washburn N4
'06 Washburn X33
'98 Gibson Les Paul Studio
'08 Washburn WM526 (White) <--- For Sale
'09 Washburn WI568 w/ Bareknuckle Miracle Man
'09 Washburn WM526 (Ferrari Red)
'08 Washburn WM526 (White)
'08 Washburn WM526 (Ferrari Red)
'09 Washburn WI568
'09 Washburn WI590

Offline THEE HAMMER

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2010, 12:00:12 AM »
In all honesty the new catalog is pretty bad. I manage a music store and have seen worse but I have also seen much much better.

Killing the custom shop and the variation of lines is gonna come back and bite Washburn in the @$$ sooner or later. Sad really because we just were able to pick up the brand and the guitars we have in right now are killer for imports!

Next time use attractive women/cars/explosions/actual pictures/legible details/ more variation in color palette etc. etc.
References on jemsite
The HAMMER on almost every forum