Username: Password:

Author Topic: idle thoughts on Friday afternoon  (Read 4684 times)

Offline jlw5150

• View Profile
idle thoughts on Friday afternoon
« on: August 13, 2010, 08:57:01 AM »
does the Buzz Feiten tuning system really mean anything on a guitar that is either put together from parts or has never been set up properly or like... whatever...   you catch my drift?  seems to me that under lots of scenarios it's just another bit of annoying  insignia (which i hate) on the guitar  (i also dislike the stephens cutaway print, but that's just me).

also, i'd like to make people on here aware that from personally experience - putting an N4 together from parts brought from our... primate friends... may turn out not quite as you'd imagined - split wood, ill fitting neck, un-findable (?) rattles, incorrect/out of line routing, marks, dents and dis-colourations =  is what you may get  = if its' too good to be true = it is.  they are helpful to a point but... shipping stuff back across the atlantic even if they offer to pay for it - is no substitute for precise/correct/ dare i say 'honest'  descriptions on ebay in the first place.

Also be aware of the N4's they may offer to put together for you - i very nearly bought an N4 that on closer inspection of the photo- had a gap between the body and the stephens scoop on the front and the underside of the neck wide enough to shove a penny in to. in other words the neck only touched the body via the back of the neck screwed into the body  = it's not on for a 4/500 quid axe (800 dollars)

helpful they may be (to a point - they ignored my original probs with the parts they sent) - BUT - beware.

in response to a post on what i'd change about N4's (take off all insignia apart from the washburn logo) but most of all = manufacture  them again, and sell them so we can buy them in shops in uk!

one day i will own an original Padauk n4, one day!

Offline Slashpepper

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 09:13:07 AM »
As far as I'm aware, the Buzz Feiten 'system' is just a different formula for the distance between the frets, so as long as the fretboard and fret placement aren't changed in some way, it should still work... Or that's my understanding of it anyway, I don't think there's any structral difference in the guitar itself, which is why it's quite easy to implement accross all Washburn's gutars once they'd got the correct tooling sizes.

Makes you wonder why more manufacturers don't use it... I can generally hear the difference in tuning and I'm hardly a musical prodigy...

Washburn WI556
Washburn WI320 PRO
Washburn WI64

Washburn WI556
Washburn WI320 PRO
Washburn WI64

Offline Slashpepper

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 09:20:21 AM »
Oh, also, they still are manufacturing N4's in the Custom shop, it's one of the few models that they're still doing... during the re-shuffle.

They are rather up on Washburns and Randall in Nottingham, they've always had N4's on display in Millenium Music and currently have the green WM526 too... and I bought their WI556 :-D

Washburn WI556
Washburn WI320 PRO
Washburn WI64

Washburn WI556
Washburn WI320 PRO
Washburn WI64

Offline jlw5150

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 09:37:50 AM »
cheers dude.  I'm  actually from Notts originally, i assume that is what used to be Carlsboro Sound from where i bought me first axe (white Ibanez Roadstar 2) in 1986 ish...)  = live in Cambridge now but...  ta for that - I  will def check them out.

Offline BlueBuddha

• View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/bluebuddha
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 09:59:03 AM »
the BFTS is 2 things: the distance between the nut and the first fret & the intonation of the saddles

Offline Slashpepper

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 10:59:50 AM »
Well you learn something everyday. So presumably the saddles have to be intonated in a different way to normal or is the end result of their construction what makes them different, rather than the way you set the intonation? (i.e. will I mess it up setting it like I would any other guitar, because I know it's meant to be tuned slightly differently.)

Small world regarding Nottingham... I've seen another couple of people on here mention Notts as well! I'm not sure if Millenium Music have ever done Ibanez's, they used to be called Sound Control but I think it was the same people (who knows before that - they're down Hockly/Sneinton way). Then again, off the top of my head I can think of 5 different guitar shops within about 15 minutes walk of each other (good and/or expensive times!), so it could be any of them!

Washburn WI556
Washburn WI320 PRO
Washburn WI64

Washburn WI556
Washburn WI320 PRO
Washburn WI64

Offline Slashpepper

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 11:06:00 AM »
Actually, scratch that, checking Google shows that Millenium Music did indeed used to be called Carlsbro Sound! Today is a good day for knowledge.

Washburn WI556
Washburn WI320 PRO
Washburn WI64

Washburn WI556
Washburn WI320 PRO
Washburn WI64

Offline BlueBuddha

• View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/bluebuddha
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 12:44:24 PM »
nothing different in construction, any bridge with adjustable saddles can be used with BFTS

buy a Korg DT-7 and turn it on to BFTS mode. simple.

Offline zipperhead2010

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2010, 05:23:11 PM »
Im sure this will just make you even more upset about your build issues but why not just buy a slightly used one on ebay for half the price of a new one?

Offline jlw5150

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2010, 01:09:20 AM »
which is exactly what i've just done!  woo hoo!  

anyone help me with the serial number?

Serial no: 0701117

my wife is gonna kill me.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Washburn P2
Washburn N4 (Padauk) !!!!

Offline neilb

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2010, 07:02:56 AM »
I`m also from Notts!!!!

Offline Slashpepper

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2010, 07:04:11 AM »
Haha, just seen your sig, well done! Luckily me and my partner have separate bank accounts, so as long as I can pay the rent my money it's all good... although space may become an issue quite soon!

As far as I'm aware (from reading this forum), that's the 117th in the January 2007 batch.

Washburn WI556
Washburn WI320 PRO
Washburn WI64

Washburn WI556
Washburn WI320 PRO
Washburn WI64

Offline Slashpepper

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2010, 07:11:08 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by neilb

I`m also from Notts!!!!

Awesome... we should see how many we can collect and get a Nottingham Washburn jam group going. (And by jam I mean me watching quietly and pretending I can play well!)

edit: if somehow people re-appear

Washburn WI556
Washburn WI320 PRO
Washburn WI64
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 07:15:13 AM by Slashpepper »

Washburn WI556
Washburn WI320 PRO
Washburn WI64

Offline zipperhead2010

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2010, 08:11:14 AM »
Nice dude, that's an 07 build, that's all I can say about the serial number. Post a pic when you get it man, would love to see it.