Username: Password:

Author Topic: tres rod (turn left or turn right)  (Read 3620 times)

Offline Elmer

• View Profile
tres rod (turn left or turn right)
« on: August 14, 2010, 11:19:15 AM »
my strings are to far from the frets...if I turn my tress rod looser nothing happens...it just get real loose but the string are not lower, if I turn it the other way also nothing happens...what shall I do?
no sigi

Offline Rocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 12:13:21 PM »
The truss rod is for insuring the fretboard is flat... not for adjusting string height.

Offline magoo99

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 12:20:41 PM »
quote:
what shall I do?

Stop doing what your doing before you screw it up all together....LOL  

Bring it to a luther for a set up, It don't cost that much. if you keep picking at it.  It may cost alot to fix.
Good luck

Offline Elmer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 12:29:43 PM »
yeah...that is what should do, bring it to someone who knows what he is doing...looked easy...turn that screw a lil'...[:o)][V]
no sigi

Offline NickS

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 06:08:49 AM »
String height adjustments are normally done at the bridge, or at the string saddles themselves.

Offline ertle

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 01:50:12 PM »
first what type guitar is it. what stle bridge. If its a typical wilkenson style bridge its easy to set the action .If its a fender style bridge alittle different. you;ll need to adress the neck first . See if its straight thats what your truss rods for to assure the right relief in the neck so the guitar doesn;t bow in either direction. Once you know the neck is straight and you do this by looking down from the bottom to the top at eye level each side. If an adjustment needs to be made right to tighten left to loosen do a quarter turn at a time then look. next in order to drop the action it depends on the type bridge . fender style each string sits in a saddle with 2 screw holes on both sides it takes a tiny allen wrench turn each screw till you get it where you like go down the line e to e.  If its a wilkenson with many washburns have you;ll need to adress the trem cavity Take the plate off. Then the ass end of the trem must be parallel ;flat even not tilted up or burried into the body. If its up in the air losen the strings take a philips head and turn each claw screw left to losen and bring it down right to tighten brings it up . Could be the other way around without it in front of me . Do half turns on each then go tune the guitar then look to see if the bridge is parallel if not repeat the process losen strings another half turn tune. eventually you will get it parallel . Your action should be dead on. you;ll notice the holes line up so you can string it without taking the backplate off.Then you must check for intonation this will determine weather the string is to long or short .If its short its sharp and needs to be brought back if its long its flat and needs to come foward. Check by putting your finger on the 12th fret of each string and listen  then your done. If your pickups are not in sink you just need a small plilips or some allen keys to adjust the height so when you switch position neck middle bridge the volume is the same for all. Well i hope i helped alittle. If not go get a setup. Its about 35bucks from a luthier. Ertle

Offline NickS

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 07:04:01 AM »
Right - tight - Left loose.