Username: Password:

Author Topic: New Washburn 2010-2011 Catalogs posted.  (Read 11751 times)

Offline WEBgUy

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.usmusiccorp.com
New Washburn 2010-2011 Catalogs posted.
« on: August 20, 2010, 10:09:24 AM »
New catalogs for Washburn acoustics & electrics posted here.

Offline berniefan

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 02:50:27 PM »
Low resolution photos, and Photoshopped 'fake bursts'? Clipping paths that look like they were done with dull scissors?

If you want people to love your products, then present your product/brand with pride. Mercy.

You folks make it REALLY hard to defend the Washy name with my peers.

The first page of this catalog should come with an apology - 'sorry for the shoddy craftsmanship of this catalog, but we are having a managerial crisis. The guitars look better in person, honest'.

My next guitar will NOT be a Washburn, judging by the 2010-2011 catalog.

Offline boynamedsuse

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 09:31:59 PM »
Looks fine to me. Thank you for the link. [8D]

Offline Slashpepper

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 02:12:59 AM »
The catalogue isn't *that* bad, from your description I was expecting something done in paint... I think it's quite well done, could do with a couple of tweaks (don't look too closely at the outline of the Idols) but nothing that I'd be ashamed of. Are those original Idols the same shape as my WI320PRO? (linky Also, doesn't the normal url= function work on this forum?) They just don't look as nice from those photos and I can't work out why, the WIPROFTR should be much the same apart from the silver hardware and pickups.

I think maybe the Idol shapes just don't show off their looks from a front on angle, which is odd.

Edit: made the hyperlink work

Washburn WI556
Washburn WI320 PRO
Washburn WI64
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 02:32:32 AM by Slashpepper »

Washburn WI556
Washburn WI320 PRO
Washburn WI64

Offline Rocket

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 02:29:09 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Slashpepper

Also, doesn't the normal url= function work on this forum?

See: FAQ

Offline Slashpepper

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 02:31:20 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Rocket
See: FAQ

Dammit, missed the quote marks. That's what I get for trying to multitask while forum browsing...

Edit: Thanks Rocket!

Washburn WI556
Washburn WI320 PRO
Washburn WI64
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 02:37:24 AM by Slashpepper »

Washburn WI556
Washburn WI320 PRO
Washburn WI64

Offline berniefan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 09:25:18 AM »
They faked the finishes (poorly) on several guitars. The photos are soft and out of focus.
Not much enticement to purchase.
I feel bad that I have been rather negative about Washburn in my posts here.
I love Washburn guitars - I own five, but, in my opinion, this catalog is not up to spec, at all.

Nor is parting out remnant parts from the Custom shop - yes 'someone' gets a good deal on parts, but overall, it devalues the brand.
If you can build your own as a 'kit', where is the prestige of one actually finished by the Custom Shop itself?

I understand there is some turmoil at Washburn with the management changeover, and my comments are not directed at the fine folks who run this forum, but Washburn's management, who, I suppose, want a greater market share in guitar sales. Recent actions suggest it is a case of anything goes.

with regards

Offline Slashpepper

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 09:47:17 AM »
I looked at it on my phone, so probably missed some obvious things, I did see the Paul Stanley Kiss image was very out of focus and some of the guitars weren't cut out too well, I'll check it properly at home later for the finishes... I'm intrieged now.

I was hoping for more 'metal' looking versions of the original idol, but I'll see what the custom shop comes out with at NAMM, the black/red sunburst may be pretty good in person, I can never tell from photos, they always lie (for better or worse)

I can imagine it's very hard for the Washburm staff on the forum regardless of the situation, they can't say it's all gone to hell for obvious reasons and no-one believes them if they say it'll all be awesome.

I for one am staying positive :-) Why is NAMM so far away?

Washburn WI556
Washburn WI320 PRO
Washburn WI64

Washburn WI556
Washburn WI320 PRO
Washburn WI64

Offline Welby

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 02:57:39 PM »
Compare the new original Idol with the actual original Idol, (WI64), it bears little resemblance. The neck is pushed into the body, the bridge and tailpiece pushed back respectively which changes the look altogether for the worse in my opinion.

Offline Slashpepper

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010, 04:21:39 PM »
Oh yeah, the high fret access on those must be quite a bit worse than the old style.

You know what, looking at those again on my PC, I'd say the guitars were shopped together completely, not just the finishes... some of the strings don't quite match at the bridge and everything just doesn't look quite real (or it could just be the angle). Anyone from Washburn able to say how those images were put together and if they're a true representation of proportions? (For curiosity's sake, sorry for being critical!)

On a side note, good to see more Padauk N4's in the line up, plus I've always wanted a string through tail Idol; may have to see what they look like in person. I'm still positive about the USA Custom Shop at NAMM, I'd say that's a pretty good start for the line.

Washburn WI556
Washburn WI320 PRO
Washburn WI64

Washburn WI556
Washburn WI320 PRO
Washburn WI64

Offline boynamedsuse

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2010, 06:56:13 PM »
Who knows what might have happened? Maybe the actual photos were taken at the wrong angle or with the wrong lighting conditions, so one of the graphics artists (possibly even some contractor from an outside firm) adjusted some images so everything looked right when all the guitars were presented together. Maybe the new finishes were still in production when the catalog was being assembled and they didn't have real photos available to them.

Anyway, I can't recall ever purchasing something because I liked or didn't like a catalog image or some picture on the Internet. If the picture is enough to give me the idea, then it has done its job. From there, the proof rests on the actual guitar and how it plays and sounds.

Offline berniefan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2010, 12:05:19 AM »
So, are you gonna order a guitar that doesn't exist with a finish done in Photoshop? Seriously?

Offline boynamedsuse

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2010, 12:09:59 AM »
So berniefan, you a Fender employee or what?

Offline Slashpepper

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2010, 03:04:57 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by berniefan

So, are you gonna order a guitar that doesn't exist with a finish done in Photoshop? Seriously?

I'm pretty sure the normal process is to ask your local guitar shop to get on in so you can play it... Regardless of the company's marketing department's Photoshop'ing ability. Surely...

Washburn WI556
Washburn WI320 PRO
Washburn WI64

Washburn WI556
Washburn WI320 PRO
Washburn WI64

Offline Slashpepper

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2010, 03:21:04 AM »
Huh, my phone posted that before I'd finished. The wonders of modern technology! To continue:

Although I see your point, it's hardly a good way to improve their image and indeed sales. Interestingly the 2009 catalogue is equally poor but the website is pretty good, so presumably they'll do the proper photos for the website when production begins, which'll be far more important for their image.

Washburn WI556
Washburn WI320 PRO
Washburn WI64

Washburn WI556
Washburn WI320 PRO
Washburn WI64