Username: Password:

Author Topic: A-20V "string lock" Replacement Size  (Read 3497 times)

Offline spakattack

• View Profile
A-20V "string lock" Replacement Size
« on: August 23, 2010, 12:36:38 AM »
Hello everyone, I am a proud owner of an original white Stage Series A-20V with a 2001 Wonderbar tremolo system and black binding, and enjoyed it for a coulple years but, when I first got it I noticed the string lock had some extreme wear on the sixth and fith string grooves and over time (about a year or so after i had the guitar) the string lock grooves got so worn that my sixth string will no longer stay in the nut...when I tried to lock the sixth string into place there was so much tension and the nut groove was so badly worn that I stripped 2 screws because of all the tension and the 6th string keeps sliding off the nut completely if not locked. The question is I need to know what size string lock I need to get as a replacement? I took the guitar to my local music store and they told me that a floyd, ect. string lock won't fit and there was nothing they could do. I was thinking in my head your full of horse poo cause there has to be a replacement. So the guitar has been sitting in the original tweed case for about 4 years now disabled. I want to restore that guitar more than anything. I have a black A-10 /w white binding that I play instead which I love just as much, but the A-20V has a C shape neck and is much more comfortable and better looking than my A-10. Anyway, I would appreciate if you could let me know what I have to measure to find out what size I need or what is the size of the nut for that particular model? And one more thing....Is it possible to upgrade the Wonderbar 2001 with a Kahler tremolo or something similar? I was thinking about getting a Kahler 7300 but I don't know if it would be to small or something.I'd like to use the Kahler string lock if I do that but from what the guitar tech said at the music store its not the right size so idunno. I would really appreciate any help you could give more than you know lol...its just been so many years I been trying to get that fixed but no avail..Thanks

EDIT- I measured the width of the neck where the nut is and I got 1 and 5/8 and as I read from the floyd rose locking nut specifications it is the same width, so is the kahler.....so I wonder why the guy at the music store told me they wer'nt the right size? Ever since he told me that I just assumed I needed an original wonderbar string lock replacement. I don't know
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 02:53:16 AM by spakattack »

Offline ncmreynolds

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 04:17:54 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by spakattack
EDIT- I measured the width of the neck where the nut is and I got 1 and 5/8 and as I read from the floyd rose locking nut specifications it is the same width, so is the kahler.....so I wonder why the guy at the music store told me they wer'nt the right size? Ever since he told me that I just assumed I needed an original wonderbar string lock replacement. I don't know

It may be that one of the other measurements is wrong, making a standard Floyd one too tall or too deep. A photo would help, unless a Wonderbar owner already knows what the problem is.

2 EC29s, 2 KC90s, NX3, G2-V, RR2-V and a whole load of Indies
<hr noshade size=1>
2 EC29s, RS10-V, RS8-V,  RR2-V, and a whole load of Indies

Offline spakattack

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 12:05:45 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by ncmreynolds

quote:
Originally posted by spakattack

It may be that one of the other measurements is wrong, making a standard Floyd one too tall or too deep. A photo would help, unless a Wonderbar owner already knows what the problem is.

2 EC29s, 2 KC90s, NX3, G2-V, RR2-V and a whole load of Indies

Well I measured the string lock routing cavity length on the A-20V(which is the same length and width of the actual string lock) and I got a 1/2 long, then I measured the string lock routing cavity length on my Ibanez RG-350DX with an edge pro trem and I got 5/8 which is slightly longer....therefore the actual string lock from it is too big. Now I know that the Ibanez string locks mount from the bottom of the neck and that particular guitar has a differnt radius ect. and would never fit........

but my point is I think that when I took the Washburn to my local guitar shop I think he tried to put a floyd locking nut on it but it was too long like my Ibanez's edge pro locking nut. The question is what is the length of a 1 5/8 wide floyd locking nut?   because if a 1 5/8 wide floyd is 1/2 long then I don't know why the guy at the guitar shop wouldn't know what R number my nut is because it could only be a couple different ones and I am 100% positive my neck is 1 5/8 and I dread taking it back to that place because they have it for weeks and probably won't do anything anyway. I really don't think that the guy that looked at it knew what he was doing. I'm just about a complete noob on the subject myself..like I'm not a luthier,  but with a little common sense I'd say there has to be a replacement. He basically told me that he couldn't get the right size and turned me away pretty much. So I don't know what to do, I think if that floyd is the right length I'm gonna buy one for the hell of it to see if it will fit, either that or take it back to my local guitar shop.

On a side note the guy that looked at it told me he never even seen a Wonderbar in his life and seemed pretty baffled about it. So just how credible could he of been about knowing what R number my neck was for the nut size.