Username: Password:

Author Topic: New HB35..Pickups, Pots, Wiring, Switch, Caps  (Read 3732 times)

Offline Rainbo

• View Profile
New HB35..Pickups, Pots, Wiring, Switch, Caps
« on: December 08, 2010, 07:02:07 PM »
Last Saturday I bought a new wine red HB35 here from a local dealer.

It's a lovely guitar, with top quality finish, feel, and playability, but I feel that it's somewhat lacking in it's Innards.

I'm looking for a much more rounded dynamic and sweeter tone than I'm getting from the guitar right now with its standard factory electronics, and know that it's capable of more, so I'm hoping for feedback from some of you seasoned and experiences HB35 users out there.

What type of pickups, wiring, pots and caps would you reccomend to really open up, sweeten and bring the guitar to life?

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Offline Rocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 10:10:45 PM »
What are you playing and thru what amp?

Offline Rainbo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 10:54:28 PM »
Rocket:

I'm into classic, St. Louis-style electric blues guitar.

I've been playing electric guitar since 1956: growing up in St. Louis two blocks from Chuck Berry's house.....I literally learned the blues literally at the feet of these great creators of the art...Chuck....Ike Turner, Albert King, Muddy Waters, B.B. King,,,

Today, My amps are both Fenders: A 60 Watt Supersonic Combo into an external 2 x 12 Vintage 30 Open-Back cab and a Blackface Super Reverb.

My other guitars are a Fender Eric Johnson Stratocaster, a Fender 50th anniversary '52 Telecaster Reissue, and a Gibson SG Standard.

Tone-wise, if you've ever heard old Ike Turner, Chuck Berry,  Muddy Waters, Albert King and B.B. King tone, you'll know the tone I'm looking for: RICH, ROUNDED and HARMONIC.

Offline catscratch

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 12:39:28 AM »
Any low powered PAF (typically with resistance under 8k ) will get you in the ball park. The best out there are Bare Knuckle Stormy Mondays. Expensive but well worth it. Here is what they sound like  in a 335: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGOKh3ZyXRI
COMMON SENSE WAS NEVER THAT COMMON

Offline NickS

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 06:37:15 AM »
While your looking for your tone, raise the pickups up just a bit to clean the tone up. It took me a couple of weeks to tweak them to a point where I liked the stock pickups. I play it through a VOX VT30 on the super tweed setting. YMMV, but I'm happy with it.

Offline jqworle

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 06:05:58 AM »
Changed my electronics to seymour duncan pickups SH2 in the neck and SH1 in the bridge, all pots changed to CTS 500K and jack to a switchcraft, sounds way better now ,Mixture of tones from pure jazz to hard acdc rhythm via the blues.
Gibson SG Standard
Washburn HB35
Marshall DSL 401