Username: Password:

Author Topic: A Love Affair In The Making  (Read 1410 times)

Offline JonBouye

• View Profile
    • http://www.wix.com/JonBouye/AcousticJams
A Love Affair In The Making
« on: September 04, 2010, 11:21:09 PM »
Greetings all, I've been busy reading through the threads on here. You folks know your stuff. I am learning a lot.

I told you I'd let you know what I thought about the D10SCE I got. I want to thank you again for all the could advice. I have to tell you, I was a litte apprehensive when it first arrived, but this is fast becoming a love affair in the making. I originally ordered the satin finish but when it arrived it was glossy. I have the satin finish on my Yairi and it plays well in the humidity in the hot south - no stiky palm when sliding up and down the neck.

Speaking of humidity, when she was delivered the first thing I did was put my hygrometer in the case and let it set for an or so and was surprised by how thirsty she was - around 33% humidity, so I got my old soap dish and sponge and set 'er up overnight to give her a drink. The next morning when I checked her, she was still thristy but humidity was up to 44% so I knew things were going in the right direction. Re-soaked the sponse and locked her up again, when I checked that eveing, 52% right on target.

I took her out of the case and she sure looked pretty but the action was way high and the strings were dead. Neck was straight as an arrow, but when I capoed the first fret and checked the action at the 7th fret while holding down the 14th I was somewhat concerned that the neck may need to be reset.  

I went to town and got a new set of Ernie Ball 2004 Earthwood Light Acoustic Strings (11 - 52) that I've been wanting to try. I thought this guitar may be just the lady for them as I'm a little older now and the lighter strings are easier for me to play for longer periods of time without my hands giving out on me. After a complete cleaning, set-up and all dressed up with those new Ernie Ball's she was ready to sing and dance. And that she did, all for right at $250, HSC and all. Although she had a 2nd tag on her, anyone would be hard pressed to point out the blem and she fit the original purpose of a 'pass around the campfire, go to the lake' cheap date. but the more I play her I may have to tell everyone to BYO. LOL

My fears about needing to reset the neck went unrealized, thank you Lord. It's amazing what a good set-up will do. BTW, I want to thank whoever posted about Tom Becker. I had visited his site before, but had lost it when my laptop crashed a couple years back. It was very helpful as a referrence since I hadn't done a set-up for at least 10 years or so.

One last thing, I am really pleased with those Ernie Ball Earthwood's. They have a nice warm sound when strummed and are easy and mellow when finger-picked. I'm just learning Finger-style, but am having a great time. Only wish I could find some others in the South Alabama area that would like to get together for an Acoustic Jam Session once in awhile. [:D]

Rarely do words alone adequately express the emotions inside, it's the accompaniment that embellishes them with passion. Even when you play as poorly as I. -- JonBouye
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 11:25:12 PM by JonBouye »
Washburn D10SCEN
'96 Alvarez-Yairi Sig DY61

http://www.wix.com/JonBouye/AcousticJams