Username: Password:

Author Topic: HB-35S + Bigsby  (Read 5188 times)

Offline krebsne

• View Profile
HB-35S + Bigsby
« on: September 06, 2010, 09:01:32 AM »
Newb here.  Just found the forum.  Been looking for a quality 335 type guitar to refuel the creative fires.  Tried a nice older (presumably MIJ, still researching all that) blonde HB-35S for sale locally.  I really liked it, it had some mojo.  And major heft!

But anyway, I'd like to have a 335 type guitar with a Bigsby, and while it seems like you could put one on it since its basically a 335, is there some reason you cannot?  I've been searching the web, ebay, etc. and have not found an example, photo, write up, anything of a Washburn HB-35 with a Bigsby on it.  Nor any ad or listing for a Bigsby saying it is installable on this guitar.

Am I just looking in the wrong places?  Or is there something odd about it, some unique dimension or something that makes it incompatible with a Bigsby?

Offline Rocket

• View Profile
HB-35S + Bigsby
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 09:41:52 AM »

Offline krebsne

• View Profile
HB-35S + Bigsby
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 08:40:13 AM »
Awesome!  So it can be done!  Any particular Bigsby you have to get?  I imagine they come in a few varations, widths, etc.

Offline Rocket

• View Profile
HB-35S + Bigsby
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 09:34:23 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by krebsne

Any particular Bigsby you have to get?  I imagine they come in a few varations, widths, etc.

Click on pic:

« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 09:37:00 AM by Rocket »

Offline 1984 HB35

• View Profile
HB-35S + Bigsby
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 10:03:55 AM »
I believe the B7 is the model you want:

http://www.bigsbyguitars.com/vibe/?page_id=147
Michael in St. Paul

If you has to ask, you never gets to know
--Louis Armstrong

1984 Washburn HB35

Offline krebsne

• View Profile
HB-35S + Bigsby
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 11:03:03 AM »
Thanks!  One more question.

The tobacco burst guitar in the pic... it has identical shape to a ES 335 it seems to my eye.  The horns/bouts are just like a Gibson.  The HB-35S I'm looking at, the horns are pointy-er.  Different.  Are they the same model guitar or did they change it at some point to avoid lawsuits, etc?

Offline Tio Kimo

• you're never too old to be what you might've been
    • View Profile
HB-35S + Bigsby
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 01:04:25 PM »
the one you're looking at would be Korean or Indonesian. When they went away from Japanese production, the design changed slightly.

Even when they were Japanese however, they weren't Identical to a 335, just really really close. (For example, the dimensions between posts on the stoptail bridge are different, such that a retrofit is a challenge.)

I wold think it's about scale length, and the thickness of the body. the saddle addresses scale length, and the body thickness has been consistent. You should be good with a B7 like 1984 says.
http://www.oldtownschool.org/
'95 Washburn D-55SW Cherokee (Bourgeois)
'04 Larrivée LV-03 w/ Fishman blend
'02 Heritage 535
'12 Heritage 150
'10 Larrivée RS-2
'11 Benford Tele
'12 Kirn Barn Buster
Marshall AS50D
Little Lanilei 3350LT
Champlifier
Boogie DC-2

Offline NickS

• View Profile
HB-35S + Bigsby
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2010, 10:24:01 PM »
The only thing I don't like about the retrofits, with the B7, is that no one ever covers up the old TOM holes. The B5 with the adapter is not the answer as the string angle to the bridge is too severe. So do something to cover those extra tone holes.