Username: Password:

Author Topic: A Simple Remedy  (Read 2714 times)

Offline JonBouye

• View Profile
    • http://www.wix.com/JonBouye/AcousticJams
A Simple Remedy
« on: September 09, 2010, 02:19:42 PM »
I recently bought a new set of strings and when I started changing them one of the strings was flawed, it had a longer wrap at the ball end which allowed the wrapped end to make direct contact with the saddle. I didn't want to make the 40 mile round trip (I live in the country) to exchange them so I called an old buddy of mine and what he said simply blew away.

He said it was uncommon to run into my problem and clearly a factory mistake but he had encountered the same problem on some of the older guitars with thinner bridges. His fix was to take a bead or extra ball from an old string and place it over the string drawn against the first ball. This would effectively back the string into the bridge, removing the heavy or wrapped area of the string from direct saddle contact and distorting the sound. It was so simply and it worked just fine.

I thought I'd share this with the forum in case any of you might run into the same problem.

'09 D10SCE
'96 Alvarez-Yairi Sig DY61
JT-300QMT-AMB
Washburn D10SCEN

http://www.wix.com/JonBouye/AcousticJams

Offline metaljake

• View Profile
Re: A Simple Remedy
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2019, 02:21:23 PM »
Wow, I would have never thought to do this. It's pretty good trick. Thanks for sharing!

Offline papalicious

• View Profile
Re: A Simple Remedy
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 07:29:29 AM »
<font face=Comic Sans MS>I recently bought a new set of strings and when I started changing them one of the strings was flawed, it had a longer wrap at the ball end which allowed the wrapped end to make direct contact with the saddle. I didn't want to make the 40 mile round trip (I live in the country) to exchange them so I called an old buddy of mine and what he said simply blew away.

He said it was uncommon to run into my problem and clearly a factory mistake but he had encountered the same problem on some of the older guitars with thinner bridges. His fix was to take a bead or extra ball from an old string and place it over the string drawn against the first ball. This would effectively back the string into the bridge, xlxx.club/ hamsterx.co/ removing the heavy or wrapped area of the string from direct saddle contact and distorting the sound. It was so simply and it worked just fine.

I thought I'd share this with the forum in case any of you might run into the same problem.</font id=Comic Sans MS>

'09 D10SCE
JT-300QMT-AMB

Yes this is one of those golden techniques. Good read. Thanks man!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 02:00:48 PM by papalicious »