Username: Password:

Author Topic: Janis Joplin vs Lady Gaga  (Read 10522 times)

Offline onewilyfool

• View Profile
Janis Joplin vs Lady Gaga
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2010, 03:20:30 PM »
Janice Joplin was a raw, bluesy, powerful singer. One of a kind. Lady Gaga is really just a performer, performance art kind of cartoon. Lot's of sizzle, but no steak......I actually pity the young kids today, if this is the best they've got......

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2010, 12:56:42 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by onewilyfool

Lady Gaga is really just a performer, performance art kind of cartoon. Lot's of sizzle, but no steak......I actually pity the young kids today, if this is the best they've got......

IMHO, Lady Gaga is just a modern Madonna.  I recall very well the way Madonna merchandised herself, all the bizarre costumes....but in this day and age, you have to be WAAAAY out there to get attention and Lady Gaga does just that with her outlandish outfits.  If she could get the attention she desires just on the basis of her vocal abilities, she wouldn't need to dress herself in slabs of meat, but she doesn't, she's just not that remarkable without the trimmings, so to speak.

Joplin, on the other hand, didn't give a damn what was on the outside, as long as she had Southern Comfort on the inside, and she got ALL the attention b/c of her vocal chops......now, THAT is a true musician.

Not at all a hard choice for me!!!

Cheers from.....

Dugly [8D]

YerDugliness, Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, retired & attempting to age disgracefully!!
Washburns: WD32SW, D61SW, and C124SW
Other fine acoustic guitars by Breedlove (custom shop Revival Series 000), Darren Hippner (#506), Takamini (2005 LTD), Epiphone (Masterbilt AJ500RC), and Yamaha (G231-II)

YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,D62SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline ftb

• View Profile
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/8733718@N03/
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2011, 06:51:56 AM »
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8733718@N03/

Martin HD-28
Martin J-15
Gibson Advance Jumbo
Washburn J28SDL Cumberland Jumbo
Gretsch Sundown Serenade
Fender '52 AVRI Telecaster Copper Metallic The Copper Caster
Fender '52 AVRI Telecaster Butterscotch Blonde
Fender '62 AVRI Telecaster Custom Three Tone Sunburst
Fender Stratocaster Root Beer Sparkle
Fender New American Standard Stratocaster Fiesta Red
Fender Limited Edition Stratocaster Surf Green
Fender '54 Limited Edition Stratocaster Thin Skin Nitro Two Tone Sunburst

Offline greygoose625

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2011, 11:06:19 AM »
Methinks it comes down to fame and show over musical arts. In the old days performers just made music.....MTV did to music what KFC did to chicken......janeguitar.com

Offline Rocket

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2011, 11:13:58 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by greygoose625

MTV did to music what KFC did to chicken...

Difference is... KFC still has something to do with chicken!
Gotta admire a business that has the balls to charge money and bring a profit from marketing a bowl of yesterday's leftovers & garbage.

Offline Toaster20

• Eat More Toast
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2011, 11:29:08 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by greygoose625

.....MTV did to music what KFC did to chicken......janeguitar.com

Well said, Lady Jane.  Some might say the same thing about American Idol.  I wonder how many great singers would never get past an Idol auditon because they don't fit the mold.  Would Steven Tyler even make it?

Offline Toaster20

• Eat More Toast
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2011, 11:35:39 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Rocket

....marketing a bowl of yesterday's leftovers & garbage.

I can't tell if we're talking about the chicken or the MTV!

Offline ToneDef

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2011, 02:00:53 PM »
The music kids listen to today is just noise. I tell you, back in my day we had music. And that Elvis character, with his gyrating hips, it's obscene I tell you!

For the record, Lady Gaga learned to play piano at the age of 4 and was accepted to the highly-regarded NYU School of the Arts at 17, one of only 20 people granted early admission. I don't like her music, but she's got one hell of a set of pipes. She just never made it on her (considerable) natural ability and had to re-invent herself as a pop diva in order to hit it big.

There's no shortage of talented artists or good music out there, in fact, I think there is far more than there has ever been because of technological advances. People are able to made quality recordings in their bedroom with a few hundred dollars' worth of equipment when equal quality required an investment of tens of thousands twenty years ago. However, unlike previous decades, the good stuff may not always be found on major labels and being pushed on  the radio ad nauseum - the record labels are trying to popularize music by appealing to the lowest common denominator. Popular and good were never synonymous and if you think back hard enough, you'll remember that the majority of songs on the radio were always utter crap. Don't be lazy. You can find a ton of good music without getting out of your chair within twenty minutes. It just won't be at your local record store.

Offline Toaster20

• Eat More Toast
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2011, 10:41:40 AM »
Somewhere John Lennon and Elvis Presley are rolling in their graves.

NEW YORK – The act with the most songs on the Billboard Hot 100 chart isn't the Beatles, Elvis or Michael Jackson. It's the cast of Glee.

In just 18 months of appearing on the charts, the Fox TV series has set the record for the most songs on the Billboard chart in the chart's 52-year history.

This week, Glee debuts six songs on the chart, giving them 113 songs in total — five more than the now second-place Elvis Presley, who had 108.

Lady Gaga also makes history on the chart this week; her new song, Born This Way, becomes its 1,000th No. 1 song.

The Grammy winner calls the milestone the greatest honor of my career.