Username: Password:

Author Topic: Help! Advice need on a new WSJ-125K  (Read 3471 times)

Offline JoFish 70

• View Profile
Help! Advice need on a new WSJ-125K
« on: September 27, 2010, 05:21:20 PM »
Hi, I have joined the Washburn forum as I recently purchased a WSJ-125K which is a 125yr anniversary limited edition southern Jumbo. This is my first Washburn and I love the sound, however, I am beginning to really regret the purchase due to the finish on the guitar. I know it was designed to look like it is over 100 years old, however, it also feels like it! I am having a problem with the binding on the top of the guitar irritating the inside of my arm when playing even for a short time. The dealer suggested bees wax to smooth the rought feel of the binding, however, this hasn't helped at all. My husband suggested using emery paper (very fine sanding paper) however, I was told that this would void the dealer warranty. Does anyone have any advice on how to fix this problem? YOur help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
JoFish70

Offline Rocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 05:32:41 PM »
Google: Acoustic Guitar Armrest
Buy or make one for yourself.
See one on Squint's Cumberland up front in this pic of HIS herd:

« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 07:05:49 PM by Rocket »

Offline JoFish 70

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 06:02:20 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion. I didn't know that armrests existed!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 03:29:49 PM by JoFish 70 »
JoFish70

Offline magoo99

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 06:54:31 PM »
Hi Joanna, welcome to the washy forum.
I'm with rocket on the armrest, I wouldn't be sanding on a new guitar.  I seen these babies at the 12fret they are held by suction cups
They are good if this is the position where you need it.
.http://www.12fret.com/new/Plenosom_Guitar_Armrest_pg.html

Good luck
Magoo
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 06:56:23 PM by magoo99 »

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 03:47:53 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by JoFish 70

Thanks for the suggestion. I didn't know that armrests existed!

JoFish70

The key with armrests is to get a floating model.  When you rest your forearm on the guitar's soundboard, as we all do, the vibrations of the soundboard are damped.  This does NOTHING good for the sound....

What you want is an armrest that supports your forearm clear of the soundboard and is, itself, not resting on the soundboard, either.  My Washburn C124SWK classical came from the factory with such an armrest.....but it is the only Washburn model I've ever seen so equipped.

Installing a floating armrest isn't all that hard, and it does involve some sanding on the bindings where the armrest will be attached (so that the glue will adhere well).  If you are worried about diminishing the value of a vintage guitar, it wouldn't be a good choice.....but for the already predistressed appearance Washburn put onto the 125th anniversary parlors, it might not be out of place that much.

Cheers from.....

Dugly [8D]

YerDugliness, Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, retired & attempting to age disgracefully!!
Washburns: WD32SW, D61SW, and C124SW
Other fine acoustic guitars by Breedlove (custom shop Revival Series 000), Darren Hippner (#506), Takamini (2005 LTD), Epiphone (Masterbilt AJ500RC), and Yamaha (G231-II)

YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,D62SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC