Username: Password:

Author Topic: Will Grover Locking Tuners Drop Right in??  (Read 7876 times)

Offline Guitaristguy28

• View Profile
Will Grover Locking Tuners Drop Right in??
« on: October 03, 2010, 03:10:11 PM »
These are the stock Grover 18:1 tuners on my WV80s most of us are familiar with on the USA Washburn guitars. Im not sure which model/size these are. I want to switch over to Grover Locking tuners but I'm not sure what size if any will drop right in. Does anyone know which grover locking tuners will fit in without any modification/drilling? The Grover website isn't to helpful nor could I find any good information about this on the web. Thanks for any help!

« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 03:17:51 PM by Guitaristguy28 »
'05 Washburn USA WV80 Prototype
'05 Washburn USA WV80

Offline NickS

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 10:14:52 PM »
Why do you feel the need to put locking tuners on. What is wrong with the original Grover's?

Offline Guitaristguy28

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 11:41:40 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by NickS

Why do you feel the need to put locking tuners on. What is wrong with the original Grover's?

Nothing wrong with them. I would like to be able to change the string without winding. Its more for ease of string change, locking tuners make the whole process that much easier and quicker. Most of my guitars have Sperzel locking. These are the only two that don't. I dont wanna do any drilling or anything, so thats why I was hoping Grover made direct drop-in locking version. I also prefer the 18:1 ratio over the Sperzels.
'05 Washburn USA WV80

Offline Rocket

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 12:11:22 AM »
Yes, Grover has drop-in replacements for both standard & mini Rotomatics. I've swapped on 3 of my guitars. Difference is, screw tab on standards points down and tab on mini's is angled.
See: http://www.grotro.com/Mainlockingroto.html

When used properly, saves a bunch of time on string changes!

Offline NickS

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 06:50:19 AM »
I always wind my strings from the bottom up, the tag end goes through the post hole and under the last wrap to lock it in place, saves you all that winding.

Offline Guitaristguy28

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 06:19:47 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Rocket

Yes, Grover has drop-in replacements for both standard & mini Rotomatics. I've swapped on 3 of my guitars. Difference is, screw tab on standards points down and tab on mini's is angled.
See: http://www.grotro.com/Mainlockingroto.html

When used properly, saves a bunch of time on string changes!

So I would assume based on that angle of the screw point, the tuners in my pics are grover mini's ¿? Is that what washburn puts on all there USA guitars when it comes to grovers??
Thanks
'05 Washburn USA WV80

Offline Bandicoot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 07:00:52 PM »
The tuners you have pictured are Grover Mid-sized.  As Rocket said they are sort of angled.  The Mini's are more of a right angle.  The Grover Mid-sized will drop right in.  The Mini's or Reg will need to only drill a new hole for the screw on the tab.  I'm not sure if the Mid-sized come in the locking variety, Stew-Mac are the only people I know of who routinely carry the Mid-sized.  Check the diagrams on the Stew-Mac site, they are 100% accurate.

Offline Bandicoot

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010, 07:10:46 PM »
To help a little further, If you end up getting a set which requires new anchor tab screw holes, then the best way to go is to do the following.

Don't try to drill the holes until the tuner is in place.  Until ALL the tuners are in place.  The reason is, those anchoring screws do only that, anchor the tuner to prevent them from rotating with frequent use. If you put all the new tuners on before making those holes, it is much easier to visually see that they are all lined up in same plane.  

The bushing nut (that 10mm top nut) will hold the tuners in place long enough to put the screws in.  I've never tried it with maple peg heads, but with mahogany you don't even need to 'drill' new holes, you can do like they do at the factory, just put in the screws. Or if you feel better, use a pin vise to drill the hole using the tab hole as a guide.

Offline nogin007

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2010, 08:43:49 PM »
If you need to drill new holes in maple, drill the hole to the size of the shank of the screw. In this case probably .050. Then use a small amount of soap, or even better, candle wax, on the threads, for a lubricant. Just measure the screws solid part, not from the outside of the threads.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 08:45:12 PM by nogin007 »

Offline Guitaristguy28

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2010, 12:08:51 PM »
Looks like I have no luck...the Mid sized grovers don't come in roto-grip. Why wouldn't grover make a mid sized roto-grip!!!??
'05 Washburn USA WV80