Username: Password:

Author Topic: Mic or plug in?  (Read 8492 times)

Offline mswhat298

• View Profile
Mic or plug in?
« on: October 19, 2010, 10:50:51 AM »
I have been asked to help lead the music portion of an international thanksgiving dinner/worship service at my church!  I’m excited to be able to help out and play in front of people.  Something I haven’t done in a long time and something I hope to do more of in the future.  It sounds like I’ll be the only one playing but there will be a few others up there with me singing along.  It’s in just 2 weeks and we’ll lead about 6 songs so no big deal really, but I’m pretty excited!

I also have a dilemma.  The WD10S doesn’t have a plug in/preamp like my WD7 does.  But the WD10 sounds and plays so much better.  So I can either play my WD10 through a mic or take my WD7 to get a little overhaul at a local shop to see if it helps playability.  

(I suppose I could invest in a pickup for the WD10 but I can’t really afford it right now so that’s probably not an option, but not totally off the table)

So what would you do?  Mic the “good” guitar or opt for the ease of the plug in and try to get the WD7 up to snuff?

Offline Rocket

• View Profile
Mic or plug in?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 11:17:02 AM »
If I were YOU and they had a decent PA system, I'd mic the D10 thru the PA... if not, I'd borrow a good juiced guitar.
Being ME... I'd pack a Les Paul/DeVille and punch a direct line to God, (...but that's ME!)

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
Mic or plug in?
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 12:13:34 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by mswhat298

So what would you do?  Mic the “good” guitar or opt for the ease of the plug in and try to get the WD7 up to snuff?

It would depend on the quality of the mic, for me.  I'd suggest you get a friend who plays to help you preview the sound quality both mic'ed and plugged in....you need to be out in the audience area as (s)he plays, b/c I can tell ya that the acoustics of the room really alter the sound quality relative to what you hear from an on-stage monitor. The audience will be out there...so make sure they get the best sound you can give them.

Cheers from.....

Dugly [8D]

YerDugliness, Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, retired & attempting to age disgracefully!!
Washburns: WD32SW, D61SW, and C124SW
Other fine acoustic guitars by Breedlove (custom shop Revival Series 000), Darren Hippner (#506), Takamini (2005 LTD), Epiphone (Masterbilt AJ500RC), and Yamaha (G231-II)

YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,D62SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline mswhat298

• View Profile
Mic or plug in?
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 02:46:24 PM »
quote:

It would depend on the quality of the mic, for me.  I'd suggest you get a friend who plays to help you preview the sound quality both mic'ed and plugged in....you need to be out in the audience area as (s)he plays, b/c I can tell ya that the acoustics of the room really alter the sound quality relative to what you hear from an on-stage monitor. The audience will be out there...so make sure they get the best sound you can give them.

Good idea...the PA and mics should be good quality equipment but I can't vouch for the acoustics.  It's not in the main worship center it's in the fellowship hall which was not really designed for me and my guitar.

The problem with my WD7 is the setup, or lack thereof.  A good $25 worth of tweaking from my local guitar shop might solve the problem altogether.  But I'd still rather use the WD10.  It's such a sweet guitar.

Rocket, that's awfully nice of you to offer that Les Paul on loan.  You covering shipping charges too? [;)]  

I used to own a Les Paul Custom and sold it to buy a $350 bass to play in a band.  Probably one of many dumb moves I made in my early 20s...but I like to think of it as exchanging a material possession for a year of fun doing Van Halen, Hendrix, ZZ Top and KISS covers. [;)]

Offline Toaster20

• Eat More Toast
    • View Profile
Mic or plug in?
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 09:47:07 AM »
quote:

I used to own a Les Paul Custom and sold it to buy a $350 bass to play in a band.  Probably one of many dumb moves I made in my early 20s...but I like to think of it as exchanging a material possession for a year of fun doing Van Halen, Hendrix, ZZ Top and KISS covers. [;)]

Mike, that doesn't sound dumb to me.  A year of playing covers sounds like a good time!

Good luck on the gig.  I personally like the idea of plugging in, and I'm leaning toward Rocket's suggestion of borrowing someone's acoustic/electric if you can.  But if you can't, then I'd probably use a mic on your WD10.  Get the best sound that you can, but you'll have to keep the theatrics to a minimum.

Offline mcloud10

• View Profile
Mic or plug in?
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 04:10:56 PM »
Mike, I wouldn't have a qualm about playing the WD7 IF your setup was comfortable.  I wouldn't have a qualm about playing the WD10 with a mic either.  Either can sound just fine.

I just persuaded a young member of our outreach team to purchase a Washburn - he chose a WD7.  It plays similar to my D10SCE, and sounds like a member of the Washburn guitar family.  Plugged in, they sound much closer (a factor of the less expensive under-saddle pickups).  

The overall difference, as some have said, is a good quality PA.  No matter which way you go, make sure to have your EQ options available and use them!  Nothing sounds poorer than a thin twangy guitar - set that way by a sound man who doesn't know what he's doing (I know this by experience!)

You choose what you want.

Have fun!

Mark

-------------------
'73 Washburn W240 (Finished!)
'08 Washburn D10SCE
'08 Washburn D10QBK (Son's)
'09 Washburn C104SCE Classical
'89 Washburn C10N Classical
'73 Sivertone Model 319
-------------------
'71 Yamaha FG-300 (in restoration)
'73 Washburn W240
'08 Washburn D10SCE
'08 Washburn D10QBK (Son's)
'09 Washburn C104SCE Classical (Son's)
'10 Washburn WC150SW Classical
Washburn Rover RO20 Travel Guitar
Behringer ACX450

Offline Rocket

• View Profile
Mic or plug in?
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2010, 04:26:21 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by mcloud10

...and sounds like a member of the Washburn guitar family.

What?!?

Offline mswhat298

• View Profile
Mic or plug in?
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 03:51:19 PM »
Thanks for all the input.  I really have no idea about the PA setup so I'll start there and see what I can find out.

As much as I hate to fork out the $25 if this isn't gonna be my main guitar, I may have my local shop setup the WD7 just for the convenience of a plug in.  Like I said, I haven't done this in a long time and I'm libel to inadvertently wander away from the mic while pickin'.  ; )

As for the program, I'll be playing 6 songs and will have some help on the vocals (thank goodness).  I'll also get to step out here and there with a short solo/fill in.  

It'll be fun, really laid back.

Offline Rocket

• View Profile
Mic or plug in?
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2010, 04:53:01 PM »
quote:

Like I said, I haven't done this in a long time and I'm libel to inadvertently wander away from the mic while pickin'.

I think you meant liable.

Offline DontTreadOnMe

• View Profile
Mic or plug in?
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2010, 07:22:19 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Rocket
I think you meant liable.

With all due respect Rocket - Is the spelling issue really that important?  After all, it's a guitar forum, not a spelling forum. Do people that post need to feel that their grammer or spelling will be pointed out and corrected?

Guitars, I have a few - but then again, too few to mention

Offline Rocket

• View Profile
Mic or plug in?
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2010, 08:13:52 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe

With all due respect Rocket - Is the spelling issue really that important?  After all, it's a guitar forum, not a spelling forum. Do people that post need to feel that their grammer or spelling will be pointed out and corrected?

Grammar.
(Tell me you didn't see that coming!)

Knowledge is always important.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 08:16:17 PM by Rocket »

Offline DontTreadOnMe

• View Profile
Mic or plug in?
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2010, 09:33:13 PM »
quote:

Grammar.
(Tell me you didn't see that coming!)

Knowledge is always important.

Yep, was waiting for it...  and I agree that knowledge is important, but hey, it's a guitar forum.  

Just my opinion, but I don't think that people come here to get their grammar or spelling corrected.  In fact, it may serve to turn some people away or prevent them from asking a question to think they may get corrected or mildly berated when all they want to do is ask about guitars.

Offline Rocket

• View Profile
Mic or plug in?
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2010, 10:12:02 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe

Just my opinion, but I don't think that people come here to get their grammar or spelling corrected.  In fact, it may serve to turn some people away or prevent them from asking a question to think they may get corrected or mildly berated when all they want to do is ask about guitars.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion... and I'd fight for your right to offer it up. I don't agree... and that's my right. Beautiful thing... freedom!
I refuse to enable the dumbing-down of humanity... I attack it at every opportunity.

As always... we make our choices and then own them. I can live with that.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 10:14:49 PM by Rocket »

Offline DontTreadOnMe

• View Profile
Mic or plug in?
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2010, 01:01:28 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Rocket
I refuse to enable the dumbing-down of humanity... I attack it at every opportunity.

Well I see lots of 'opportunities' i.e. spelling, grammar, etc. on this forum, which leads me to believe that most people really don't care about it and would rather just talk about music, guitars and other fun OT stuff, not get their spelling or grammar corrected.  

I just think in the big picture it's probably more of a negative thing than a positive one, especially for new people.

Offline Rocket

• View Profile
Mic or plug in?
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2010, 01:23:18 PM »
You've made your point AND spoken up for someone who obviously doesn't care enough to.
I've made it clear that I'm not going to change my attitude on the subject...
I don't see you changing your mind (not that anyone has asked you to)...

Now what are you doing besides beating the proverbial dead horse?

Did you imagine that I was going to change 55-years of moral makeup because YOU don't particularly like or agree with it? You'll have to get in a looooong line with my ex-wives for that.
Good luck entertaining them. (Don't tell off-color jokes... they don't have much tolerance either!)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 01:36:04 PM by Rocket »