Username: Password:

Author Topic: How have you modded your Idols???  (Read 3682 times)

Offline fnichols11

• View Profile
How have you modded your Idols???
« on: October 19, 2010, 11:17:57 AM »
I'm picking up my WI45 (white) today with the following upgrades:
Dimarzio Crunch Lab bridge
Dimarzio Air Norton neck
CTS pots, Orange drop caps
Seymour Duncan triple shot mounting rings
Upgraded jack and switch

I can't wait to see how it turns out. I liked the stock randall pickups at first but started to notice a lack of sustain and cut that I would probably improve on with some name brands. I went outside of the box here and instead of some obvious paf humbuckers wanted to try some dimarzio shredders.

My question is: who has tried different humbuckers in their Idol? Which ones did you install and what were the results? I love the Idols because they are dirt cheap, high quality, great tuners and intonation, and begging to be experimented with mad scientist style.

I'll report back on the results of my upgrades soon!

Offline maverickman

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 02:12:09 PM »
... hey i own a idol 14 black walnut.. it kinda sux.. but i put a seymore dimebucker in the bridge and a dimarzio hum. 4rm hell in the neck.. the most weird combo to ever think about but the best combo iv'e found and it kicks ass real raw but real warm and sexy..lol.. an accident that was meant to be..

killa
looking for bt maverick guitars for sale or billy T's...killa..:)

Offline shaulin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 06:27:55 AM »
PI80 - Came with EMGs, replaced with a set of Bareknuckles - Warpig in the Bridge and a hot P90 at the neck - result - absolute monster, screams, growls with a LOT of bass
WI64D - Came with Washburn pickups, replace with a set of Bareknuckle Warpigs - result - like an SG on steroids with tons of bass, a tiny bit more midrange  and a little less treble than the PI80 but close.
WI568 - Came with SD Custom Custom - Replaced with a Bareknucle Miracle Man at the bridge (neck stayed SD '59) - result - a real screamer, easy harmonics good
bass response, but less bass than the other two Idols.

'07 Washburn N4
'06 Washburn X33
'98 Gibson Les Paul Studio
'08 Washburn WM526 (White) <--- For Sale
'09 Washburn WI568 w/ Bareknuckle Miracle Man
'09 Washburn WM526 (Ferrari Red)
'08 Washburn WM526 (White)
'08 Washburn WM526 (Ferrari Red)
'09 Washburn WI568
'09 Washburn WI590

Offline fnichols11

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 04:00:04 PM »
Nice, I'd love to try some bareknuckles but I'm never going to put that much money into a pickup. They must be good because I've never seen a used one for sale! The AN/CL combo sounds great, ultra modern and lead oriented.

Offline Sir_Palomid

• View Profile
    • http://myspace.com/artlandprog
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 02:50:18 PM »
I've recently installed Bareknuckles Cold Sweat and Nailbomb combo in my WI66 Pro, and changed the pots too 500k with push-pull and standard tone\\volume controls, pretty descent upgrade, now I like my Idol a lot! VCC and Duncans were not up to me.

My axes:

- Martin DX1r with LR Baggs M1 Active pickup
- Yamaha LL16
- Fender 50th Anniversary Strat Plus with Kinman Woodstocks Plus Set and K9 harness
- Washburn WI66 Pro (with Bareknuckle Cold Sweat(neck)\\Nailbomb(bridge) and without crappy VCC =) )
My axes:

- Martin DX1r with LR Baggs M1 Active pickup
- Yamaha LL16
- Fender 50th Anniversary Strat Plus with Kinman Woodstocks Plus Set and K9 harness
- Washburn WI66 Pro (with Bareknuckle Cold Sweat(neck)\\Nailbomb(bridge) and without crappy VCC =) )

Offline jeffy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011, 10:28:03 AM »
WI64 distressed:GFS Vintage '59 zebra p'ups and RS guitarworks CTS pots and Jensen oil/paper caps;their Hillbilly Channelswitching kit I'm all out of P90 guitars right now,so it might get a Dream90/Mean90 combo soon.

Offline EdMan57

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 01:21:32 PM »
The only thing I did to my '07 WI70 Pilsen XL was swap the bridge SH-11 Custom Custom for a SH-14 Custom 5.I like the way it balances better [to my ears] with the neck '59.

Ed

My current guitar harem includes a USA Washburn WI70 Pilsen XL,USA Washburn MG-120,Fender American Standard SE Tele,USA Hamer Studio,Fender American Standard SE Strat,Fender American Series Strat,USA Hamer P-90 Special,ESP PB-500,Malden Keyser and a Yamaha Pacifica 612v.
My current guitar harem includes a USA Washburn WI70 Pilsen XL,Fender American Standard SE Tele,USA Hamer Studio,Fender American Standard SE Strat,Gibson Les Paul Standard,Fender American Series Strat,USA Hamer P-90 Special,ESP PB-500,Malden Keyser and a Yamaha Pacifica 612v.

Offline kiklop

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 09:49:19 AM »
I changed most of the hardware in my wi66 prof

- First went off the VCC thingy
- original pots replaced with low tolerance CTS ones (>500K)
- one push pull pot (bridge tone) for phase switch
- orange drop
- 50 style wiring
- after messing around with several pick-ups (seith, pearly gates..) and magnet swaps i finally got settled with SD-59 in both bridge and neck (i have replaced original alnico V magnets with alnico V un-orientated ones for better EQ for my tastes)
- SD tripple shots on both pickups

Love it :)

quote:
Originally posted by EdMan57

The only thing I did to my '07 WI70 Pilsen XL was swap the bridge SH-11 Custom Custom for a SH-14 Custom 5.

Just for the record, SH-11 and SH-14 are same humbuckers with different magnets. For those who don't hesitate to mod their pickups, buying the magnets is way less expensive for trying out different tones.