Username: Password:

Author Topic: Brand of Strings?  (Read 6744 times)

Offline Gitfiddle

• View Profile
Brand of Strings?
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2011, 02:29:22 PM »
Yes it is very subjective.  I suggest light (.012 to .052) phosphur bronze (I like Martin 4100 SP) (heavier strings increase the tension on the neck (not good).  Extra light are OK if you can ploay them.  easier on fingers.  Stay away from the Chinese beer can strings.   But Martin, D'Addario, Pearse, Gibson, Elixir .. all good. Taylor comes with Elixir light. You will find a brand that just seems to play right on your guitar (they vary).  When you tune it up is sings and you love the sound.  That's the right one.

Offline pescadore

• View Profile
Brand of Strings?
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2011, 01:49:39 PM »
I recently bought a D10-S and the old strings were horrible.  I bought a new set of Elixers and it sounds great.  I have never been a big fan of these strings but they were recommended to me by someone who owned a D10 so I tried them.  I got the lights (10's) but I am sure the 12's would sound just as good. I agree that strings are a personal preference and I usually use DiAddario Phosphor Bronze but so far I am pleased with the Elixers.
D10-S

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
Brand of Strings?
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2011, 02:30:41 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Stephen!

Whereabouts is Commerce, TX?  I ask b/c we have a fairly active bunch of pickers here in TX, in fact there's a monthly bluegrass jam-fest fairly centrally located in TX, held the first Saturday of each month (except Sept). You'd be welcome to join us if you are interested.

If you're interested in the thrift that comes with strings that last longer, try some Dean Markley Alchemy Gold-Bronze strings.  They hold a tune and their tone longer than any other string I've ever used.  I'd much rather be playing a guitar that stays in tune than constantly stretching in and tuning new strings (although there's quite a large contingent of us here who ...just loves us some new strings.

Cheers from.....

Dugly [8D]

YerDugliness, Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, retired & attempting to age disgracefully!!
Washburns: WD32SW, D61SW, and C124SW
Other fine acoustic guitars by Breedlove (custom shop Revival Series 000), Darren Hippner (#506), Takamini (2005 LTD), Epiphone (Masterbilt AJ500RC), and Yamaha (G231-II)

YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,D62SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline pescadore

• View Profile
Brand of Strings?
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2011, 01:13:36 PM »
Commerce is in NE Texas about 60 miles from Dallas off I-30.  I know that they have some bluegrass events near Sulphur Springs where I work.  I have never been to one but would like to check it out sometime.  Sounds like fun.
D10-S

Offline Pining

• View Profile
Brand of Strings?
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2011, 08:58:45 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by YerDugliness

I'd much rather be playing a guitar that stays in tune than constantly stretching in and tuning new strings

Dugly [8D]

YerDugliness, Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, retired & attempting to age disgracefully!!
Washburns: WD32SW, D61SW, and C124SW
Other fine acoustic guitars by Breedlove (custom shop Revival Series 000), Darren Hippner (#506), Takamini (2005 LTD), Epiphone (Masterbilt AJ500RC), and Yamaha (G231-II)

+1

Offline MDig

• View Profile
Brand of Strings?
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2011, 12:55:36 PM »
I have a D10-CE and John Pearse Slightly light gauge Phosphor Bronze give it a richer more Folkie sound that I prefer.
Music is easy count to four and start over

Offline rogue7

• View Profile
Brand of Strings?
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2011, 08:17:07 PM »
I love Martin SP Lights 4100. Everybody has their favorites I reckon but everyone I recommend them to agrees that they are the best set of strings you can get for an acoustic guitar. I have six packs on the bookshelf and I've never been disappointed. Been using them for years! I'm a finger style guitar player but whether you're strumming or picking, you'll get great tone every time!