Username: Password:

Author Topic: NGD - WI66  (Read 4599 times)

Offline Tio Kimo

• you're never too old to be what you might've been
    • View Profile
NGD - WI66
« on: November 14, 2010, 06:35:19 PM »
Well lads, stumbled across a craigslist post and about fell out of my chair. No haggling necessary. I don't NEED the guitar, but have always wanted to compare a 66 to my 67. Now I have

it's an 05 Korean build. Interesting the differences between the two. The 67 is thicker bodied, single piece body, as compared to 3 piece on the 66. 3 piece neck (headstock to neck with scarf joint, then an additional piece at the heel) on the 66 as well, whereas the 67 has a scarf joint, but one piece at the heel.

Lighter than my -67, even thought the 67 has the cavity!

VCC, of course. All in all, sweet, I like the weight difference...can't really A/B them because the pots and wiring has all been ripped out of my -67 and replaced with what I believe to be superior pots caps and wiring. Same p'ups though.

Veneer, not a cap like the 67

http://www.oldtownschool.org/
'95 Washburn D-55SW Cherokee (Bourgeois)
'04 Larrivée LV-03 w/ Fishman blend
'02 Heritage 535
'12 Heritage 150
'10 Larrivée RS-2
'11 Benford Tele
'12 Kirn Barn Buster
Marshall AS50D
Little Lanilei 3350LT
Champlifier
Boogie DC-2

Offline boynamedsuse

• View Profile
NGD - WI66
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 07:11:44 PM »
Congratulations! I LOVE blue quilt and I love Idol 66s. [8D] It looks like you got a nice transparent finish as well so you can see the wood grain clearly even in lower lighting.

I can't really make out what is going on in the pickup cavity--it looks like it has been painted. Does it look like you have a cap with a veneer or a solid body with no cap, but a veneer?

Once you get used to it, you need to let us know the sonic differences. Yes, I know you changed your pots and removed the VCC (now you know why you shouldn't have [;)]), but it would still be good to know if the body changes have much impact on the tone. I am guessing that the VCC at 10 should be in the ballpark with running your 67 (as normal humbuckers) with the tone on 10. [?]

Offline Tio Kimo

• View Profile
NGD - WI66
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 08:24:27 PM »
I believe it's veneer over hog, as Nick said they were.

'02 Heritage 535
'12 Heritage 150
'10 Larrivée RS-2
'11 Benford Tele
'12 Kirn Barn Buster
Marshall AS50D
Little Lanilei 3350LT
Champlifier
Boogie DC-2

Offline Rocket

• View Profile
NGD - WI66
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 09:59:12 PM »
Cavities are often painted with a special metallic paint to help with RF shielding. Some people prefer silver or gold foil gilding the cavity.
I have no idea how effective it all is but I'd guess it must be at least somewhat effective.

Offline Tio Kimo

• View Profile
NGD - WI66
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 10:03:11 PM »
yes, that paint is a metallic I believe. has a very strange texture to it.

Rocket, if you're in the Lansing area for any length of time, you gotta come to Chicago and play one of these! My next open mic is Dec. 10. I had 80 people there this last Friday.That'd be a hoot to have you there tearin' it up.
'02 Heritage 535
'12 Heritage 150
'10 Larrivée RS-2
'11 Benford Tele
'12 Kirn Barn Buster
Marshall AS50D
Little Lanilei 3350LT
Champlifier
Boogie DC-2

Offline Rocket

• View Profile
NGD - WI66
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 10:20:59 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Tio Kimo

Rocket, if you're in the Lansing area for any length of time, you gotta come to Chicago and play one of these!

As soon as I heard snowstorm I decided to stay put. I'd still like to get up there for my sis's b'day & thanksgiving... but... I have no intention of getting my arse stranded in sub-zero.

Curious... what amps do you stuff those idols thru?

Offline Tio Kimo

• View Profile
NGD - WI66
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2010, 11:18:18 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Rocket
Curious... what amps do you stuff those idols thru?

Amps is an are where I need to invest. Currently I mostly play through my Mahaffay Little Lanilei
It's a tube amp with some cool tone, but not very versatile, and a little compressed sounding. I also have a Roland Cube 30X.

I've got a list of possible amps that I'd like to spend some time with. I played it through a Twin at a large music festival this summer, and it was an amazing experience, but of course the opportunity to do that is rare. I'd love a Deluxe Reverb, a Blues Jr. or even a Pro Jr. Other smaller combos that I'd like to try it through are a Ampeg Jet or a Boogie F30. I tend to like the more open tone of a Fender than the compressed high gain, but then I've never played though a legit Marshall Head or anything like that.

My Lanilei has a extension cab, which turns it into a 2x6.5 with 33 watts LOTS of sound. I routinely cut through on a stage with with several other amps, and have been told mine was the easiest to distinguish. But again, just not real versatile.

Having legit reverb or a bit of Tremolo is nice from time to time.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 06:32:44 AM by Tio Kimo »
'02 Heritage 535
'12 Heritage 150
'10 Larrivée RS-2
'11 Benford Tele
'12 Kirn Barn Buster
Marshall AS50D
Little Lanilei 3350LT
Champlifier
Boogie DC-2

Offline ncmreynolds

• View Profile
NGD - WI66
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 01:56:42 AM »
Cool, I'm half looking for one of these because I like my WI66ProE and fancy a less \\m/ version.
<hr noshade size=1>
2 EC29s, RS10-V, RS8-V,  RR2-V, and a whole load of Indies

Offline fngruvin

• View Profile
NGD - WI66
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2010, 11:19:22 PM »
Tio, you beat me to the punch on the craigslist buy. [V] This was in Rolling Meadows right? I saw the price on it too and also fell out of my chair. She had no idea what she was selling! Are you seriously re-selling it on craiglist again as I recognized your 67 on the wall with the pics?[:)]

Offline Tio Kimo

• View Profile
NGD - WI66
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2010, 05:17:38 PM »
Welcome to the forum.

it's out there. No bites from CL, although a couple of my buds at the music school I go to are interested. Holidays are upon us.

I gotta be honest, I'm liking it more than I thought I would. And my girlfriend is making a pitch for me to keep it for her. So we'll see. If I get a buyer at the listed price, it'll go.

Do you own an Idol?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 05:19:29 PM by Tio Kimo »
'02 Heritage 535
'12 Heritage 150
'10 Larrivée RS-2
'11 Benford Tele
'12 Kirn Barn Buster
Marshall AS50D
Little Lanilei 3350LT
Champlifier
Boogie DC-2

Offline dale2

• View Profile
NGD - WI66
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2010, 08:11:35 PM »
Nice guitar.

Offline Mathewww

• View Profile
NGD - WI66
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2010, 03:44:12 PM »
quote:
But again, just not real versatile.

Hello,
I own a Tech21 Trademark 30. Maybe you don't know it but it is a very versatile practice amp.

Offline Tio Kimo

• View Profile
NGD - WI66
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2011, 11:56:51 PM »
civo lee's post stirred this up. I sold this guitar to a close friend, so I'll still get my mitts on it from time to time, and I get another Idol out there in the hands of a performing musician.

During the brief time I had it, I played it quite a bit, and it was a sweet guitar, and it was distinct from my 67. Thinner over all, lighter, and a bit different tonally, which could be due to the different pots and caps.

To CL's point, these are awesome guitars. Great value, original design, really hard to see why Washburn wouldn't give them a bit more backing as an LP alternative for the everyday guitarist. I've gotten these into some pretty skilled hands, and they've yet to disappoint.

Watch your local Craigslist, and if you can, snag one. You won't be disappointed.
'02 Heritage 535
'12 Heritage 150
'10 Larrivée RS-2
'11 Benford Tele
'12 Kirn Barn Buster
Marshall AS50D
Little Lanilei 3350LT
Champlifier
Boogie DC-2

Offline alpheus94

• View Profile
    • http://rnamusiconline.com
NGD - WI66
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2011, 07:03:12 PM »
That was a nice 66pro. I'm always on the look out for these. I got mine used from guitar center in tulsa. for a STEAL, since I was a former employee I got it for what the gave the guy on trade. :)
Owner of RNA MUSIC.