Username: Password:

Author Topic: neck for N2  (Read 3702 times)

Offline rebar71

• View Profile
neck for N2
« on: November 16, 2010, 09:15:23 AM »
I am picking up an old Washburn N2 mutt guitar.  It currently has a Jackson neck on it and it won't intonate properly.  

I was hoping that someone could tell me which replacement neck would work best on the N2 body.  

Obviously, if I can find an original N2 neck at a decent price, that would be ideal.  But if I can't, what are my best options?

And before anyone asks why I would bother... I am getting this frankenstein extremely cheap.  For the price, it's great for a first time restoration project.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 11:25:29 AM by rebar71 »

Offline rebar71

• View Profile
neck for N2
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 09:34:37 AM »
perhaps this is a better question...

Can I fit a neck from a Chinese made N2 onto a Korean made N2?

Korean on left... Chinese on right...

as you can see, there are some differences.

below is the frakenstein N2 I need to fix...

I'm getting the frankeN2 for only $25 so I'm not afraid to make some small modifications if necessary.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 09:37:08 AM by rebar71 »

Offline ncmreynolds

• View Profile
neck for N2
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 10:08:00 AM »
I'd start by wondering why it doesn't intonate properly before spending money.

The N2 is a 25.5 scale length, which I'd guess the majority of Jacksons are too so I'd have thought it possible to resolve.

Looking at your photos it appears that the Jackson neck is set too far back into the body. Is it? Has the body been routed out for the Jackson neck?
<hr noshade size=1>
2 EC29s, RS10-V, RS8-V,  RR2-V, and a whole load of Indies

Offline rebar71

• View Profile
neck for N2
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 11:03:42 AM »
I don't have the frankeN2 in my hands yet - I will be picking it up tomorrow.  But from what I know about 22 fret Jacksons (I have one) is that the last fret overhangs the heel of the neck.  If you look at the pic of the signed Korean made N2, you can see that the 22nd fret is right on the edge of the heel rather than overhanging it.  This is my educated guess as to why it won't intonate with the Jackson neck.

There is a mint Chinese made N2 neck on ebay right now.  But you can see how the truss rod access is different between the two necks for the same guitar.

Here's the best example I can show you...