Username: Password:

Author Topic: 4 Guitars to Buy  (Read 1663 times)

Offline Lafayette2010

• View Profile
4 Guitars to Buy
« on: November 16, 2010, 11:19:47 PM »
[size=18][/size]I was in a pawn shop recently and in there are four guitars have my grabbed my attention.  They are as follows:

Hohner HG-05     $90.

Hohner HG-07     $90.

Washburn D10S  $100

Ibanez PF512NT  $200

I am in an electric wheelchair and unable to test them myself and no one in the shop can play, however I have a feeling that at least one of them may be a bargain.  I am hoping that in a few months that I will have a pile of money and I'm kicking around the idea of buying one.

I have done some research, but am still lacking solid info.

If any of you can supply some info, like are they solid wood and are the prices being asked for fair would be appreciated.

Lafayette                                                                                                                                                                

I am not as smart as I think I am, but I am not as dumb as you think I am.  But, I do make a lot of typos.

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
4 Guitars to Buy
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 09:54:36 AM »
I can't speak to the Hohner's (although I did have a Hohner classical, it sounded very nice for an entry level guitar compared to my Yamaha entry level classical), but if you can get a Washburn D10S for $100, I'd jump at that, assuming it is in good shape.  If you can't visit the store, have a friend who is familiar with guitars go for you.....lots of things to check before buying, particularly from a pawn shop.

The D10S has a solid wood soundboard, but is laminate sides/back.  That's not necessarily a bad thing (the laminate issue).....what is most important is the contribution of the soundboard, so you'll get the tonal improvement with ageing that results from the soundboard being solid wood.

Cheers from .....

Dugly [8D]

YerDugliness, Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, retired & attempting to age disgracefully!!
Washburns: WD32SW, D61SW, and C124SW
Other fine acoustic guitars by Breedlove (custom shop Revival Series 000), Darren Hippner (#506), Takamini (2005 LTD), Epiphone (Masterbilt AJ500RC), and Yamaha (G231-II)

« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 11:42:03 AM by YerDugliness »
YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,D62SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline Lafayette2010

• View Profile
4 Guitars to Buy
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 12:16:47 AM »
Your YerDuglinessss, I do hope to find someone to help me in this endeavour.  I do sincerely appreaciate your insight on the Washburn.  However, your comments concerning the Hohners are about the only ones I have.

Thanks

Lafayette
I am not as smart as I think I am, but I am not as dumb as you think I am.  But, I do make a lot of typos.