Username: Password:

Author Topic: Why do you play?  (Read 6044 times)

Offline cedwards

• View Profile
Why do you play?
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2011, 10:59:00 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by largopat

I just started playing nine months ago. At age 61 it wasn't for girls.I always wanted to learn the guitar, but never had the time.
Now I have the time and play every day for a hour or more. Free lessons on line can't go wrong. Play just chords including Barre chords. Have trouble with speed on changing chords. Any tips? (Self satisfaction.)

Good story! Keep at it. For speed in changing chords:

1) practice, practice, practice until you own the song

2) look for the swing in the song - often an accent on the upstroke is helpful and, once the rhythm is working properly, the chord changes take care of themselves

3) most importantly, focus on reducing pressure in the fretting hand - the lighter the pressure, the easier it becomes to get from one place to another and the smoothitivity quotient grows quickly.

Have fun!
Seize the Fish
WG2S, D10SCE, WI45, JM300S, Lyon L115
'70s Univox LP Copy

Offline greygoose625

• View Profile
Why do you play?
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2011, 09:40:05 PM »
I was grounded for the summer and had to stay in my room.....thought if I made a lot of noise I'd be set free.....didn't work....but I did learn how to play......jane

Offline greygoose625

• View Profile
Why do you play?
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2011, 10:01:12 PM »
Tips on changing chords.......principal chords in key of C....the 1st position chords C....F......G7......notice how the 2nd and 3rd fingers are located next to each other in these chords........change the 2nd and 3rd fingers at the same time as if they were one finger before moving the 1st finger....after this works try changing all at the same time.  To change a bar chord......hold the chord one minute with out pressing......press then release and reform then repeat until muscel memory knows where the fingers go.......I've watched tv while crunching out chords.......be careful not to overdue and injure your hand........jane

Offline mapexzil

• View Profile
Why do you play?
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2011, 12:34:15 PM »
I started drumming when I was eight cuz my dad had a drumset for his band practices (mapex m series ftw). I stopped when I started playing sax in the school band (I dubbed myself a retired drummer, funny looking back on it).

Then I was in Connecticut in 06 when tower records was closing and my dad and sister took me along with them to get some cds 80% off and such. I remember buying 3's wake pig album cuz I saw it in a commercial. More importantly I heard some music playing in the store, and I asked a guy working their who it was and he said Lamb of God. Then after I bough a new american gospel I started getting into drums again, and once you drum for a while, playing guitar is like a fun break (and in vice versa with guitarists).

Now I have a Washburn 2ST and a Pilsen. I need to get around to posting pics of that though.

Why I play? I like being in a band, and hopefully it will become more than just a highschool thing one day

Washburn DIME2ST
Washburn DIME2ST
Washburn Pilsen

Offline stringslinger02

• View Profile
Why do you play?
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2011, 09:28:02 AM »
My uncle would play for me and my cousins when were very young.  Then my cousin started to play.  I mentioned how cool it was and for christmas that year, at the ripe old age of 8, I got my first guitar. I started taking lessons a few months later but didn't really care for it.  But once in high-school i discovered classic rock and the blues, and the rest is history.

Offline Tio Kimo

• you're never too old to be what you might've been
    • View Profile
Why do you play?
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2011, 11:09:35 AM »
Grew up, like all of us, with the soundtrack of a guitar, and always wanted to play, but convinced myself it would be to difficult. I purchased a used dreadnought from a co-worker as a birthday gift for my son, and a couple of ez tab books. He never took to it. At one point I thought I'd try this ez tab thing, and sure enough, it wasn't that tough. As soon as I realized I could actually accompany myself and sound decent with a few chords....that was it, I couldn't put it down.

That was in 2002, I was 35. WEnt through a divorce during that time, and playing kept me sane. Signed up at a music school for group guitar lessons a year later. This past summer, I played at Chicago's largest summer festival, sang and played solo's with a large group in front of tens of thousands of people, and last week, I did a 40 minute set as frontman of a band. I also run and perform at my own open mic. At this point, I can't hardly keep a job I spend so much time in music. Now I'm hoping to combine the two.
http://www.oldtownschool.org/
'95 Washburn D-55SW Cherokee (Bourgeois)
'04 Larrivée LV-03 w/ Fishman blend
'02 Heritage 535
'12 Heritage 150
'10 Larrivée RS-2
'11 Benford Tele
'12 Kirn Barn Buster
Marshall AS50D
Little Lanilei 3350LT
Champlifier
Boogie DC-2

Offline DontTreadOnMe

• View Profile
Why do you play?
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2011, 11:37:13 AM »

Great stories everyone!  I keep hoping my son will catch the bug. He picks up one of mine now and then and plays basic open chords but I don't push him much, just gently encourage...  I printed out 'Time of your Life' by Green Day, hoping that may help since it's a really easy song, but in the end it either clicks or it doesn't.  

quote:
Originally posted by Tio Kimo

...WEnt through a divorce during that time, and playing kept me sane.

That's how I got started Kimo. Back in 1995 after my first divorce I needed something to help maintain sanity, luckily found a great D12S, started playing every day and never looked back.  One of these days I'll get up on stage... maybe...

Keep at it Kimo, doing what you love as a job is truly living the dream!

Guitars, I have a few - but then again, too few to mention

Offline Tio Kimo

• you're never too old to be what you might've been
    • View Profile
Why do you play?
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2011, 12:19:14 PM »
thanks for the encouragement....keep in mind, it hasn't occurred yet, I'm seeing what i can pull together.

The guy I worked for for the the last three years closed up 2 of his 5 divisions and let go of 70% of his employees, myself included.

Remaining very optimistic!

Cheers!

http://www.oldtownschool.org/
'95 Washburn D-55SW Cherokee (Bourgeois)
'04 Larrivée LV-03 w/ Fishman blend
'02 Heritage 535
'12 Heritage 150
'10 Larrivée RS-2
'11 Benford Tele
'12 Kirn Barn Buster
Marshall AS50D
Little Lanilei 3350LT
Champlifier
Boogie DC-2

Offline Racing

• View Profile
Why do you play?
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2011, 05:11:00 AM »
Tio. Brings a smile to my face to read.

I started in my early teens. Everybody and his grandmother was to play the guitar at the time. One thing led to another and the band i was in at the time recorded som vinyls. One night at a half large gig downtown me and the other guitarist of the band went at each others throats which led to me putting the guitars on the shelf for 25yrs i got so pissed off. *lol*. Nah,really...Sold em all...with the exception of an old Washy 12 string that i to the letter had as an ornament of days passed hanging on the wall. Even sold my -55 Gibby goldtop..

Then i had a neck injury from martial arts show its ugly face a couple of yrs back and that crap hurts. Bad. So...had to do something while sitting idle full of pain killers and an old friend of mine handed me a Lespaul he had standing around. A studio,and i ended up buying it off of him.
Full of myself i thought...-i know how to do this- but the truth of the matter was that my harddrive was blank. To the letter i had a REALLY hard time remembering the 7 basic chords even. I woulnd´t call myself Yngwie back at the time but i was at least a half decent guitarist.

So...with the personality of an old goat i endeavoured on the journey back...and seing i´m 40+ i have to say that the recovery has been very fast. A band formed,and we started picking up all the things needed as far as PA asf.
Today we gig as much as time permits i´d say. As far as playing rocknroll onstage i´m back,and this time for good. Having become friends with the fretboard again i see no reason why not to....and i absolutely LOVE being onstage. That feeling you get when you´re in feedback with 300-500 or a 1000 people when things work in your favour is...in short? There´s nothing like it. It´s friggin magic.Name of the band is Van Damp btw.

..and as usual i can´t moderate myself,which has led to a point where there´s all in all 22 guitars and 9 rigs standing around. Again....
..and our minescule little PA club rig...ain´t all that small anymore...of 12 000 watts,2* double 18 JBL subs and what have you not... Other guitarist of the band being rather reknown to have run a recording studio...our fresh singer that develops it isn´t even funny and the gig offers honestly more or less coming in the door at a regular basis. It´s real fun being in demand TBH and we take pride in NOT sounding like your run off the mill garageband...Putting effort into getting all of us into the groove to deliver what the audience asks us to-regarding the audience as the last band member really.

Leddies.? Yeah. Never understood that,but leddies and rocknroll truly walks hand in hand. Always has,always will.Dunno why that is,and my age...nor do i care [:D]. These days i´m in it to raise hell and for the beer. Let´s NOT forget the beer!!![:p]

Yep. That´s me with my by now trusted old Aria Pro Semi....[:D]
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 05:24:26 AM by Racing »

Offline Mauro Ricciardi Leira

• View Profile
Why do you play?
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2011, 07:02:10 AM »
Well, why do I play? In fact, being a brasilian and living in Brasil, you might have an idea we love a guitar around here. I remember my time in Boston, where I tried sometimes seeing Toquinho, or Caetano Veloso, but never could get tickets ...
For the unique happiness we fell producing sound. Whether Vivaldi's Concertos (believe me guys, they look very soundy in my X50), Pink Floyd and Gilmor's slow hand style. Better than spending time in a Gym, pouring heavy lifts. It is relaxing, get my kids out of TV and make my wife smile a lot to me!!
Isn't that wonderful. At least a good excuse to buy my HM series (by the way, don't you want to sell one for me and send it to Brasil?? Way expensive here ...)

Prof. Mauro

Offline DontTreadOnMe

• View Profile
Why do you play?
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2011, 08:30:21 AM »
Oi Prof. Mauro!  Como esta? Eu falo Portuguese um poco... muito poco...

OK so much for my butchering the Portuguese language!  I worked on a project a few years ago and traveled to Sao Paulo.  Also drove out to Ribeirao Preto to visit a sugar mill, and made a trip to Santos to the beach.   Beautiful country and wonderful people.  If I was still traveling there I would definitely help  you out with the HM. We quickly saw how expensive things are down there. A lot of the typical consumer goods were 2x-4x what they are here, and certain other goods like leather was more reasonable and very high quality.  

Greg

Guitars, I have a few - but then again, too few to mention

• View Profile
Why do you play?
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2011, 10:11:43 AM »
Dear Greg,

Thank you and don't worry. Someone will be visiting Brasil, or even me might be going back to the USA to visit. My time there I've made such wonderful friends: none of those coming to Brasil!! Unless you want to come and visit ME: I live in Rio das Ostras, beautiful place. You should come, practice your Portuguese, bring my HM and enjoy as much and as long as you want!

regards

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
Why do you play?
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2011, 07:33:51 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
Why did you start, and what keeps you going?

Why did I start?  Wasn't on purpose:

It was the Christmas right after my first marriage and the new wife and I were discussing what to get for each other.  When she asked me what I wanted, I thought about it and said I hang around with artists a lot, b/c I admire their ability to take something that appears to be worth little and create beauty from it.  Buy me something to be creative with.

When Christmas got closer, I saw a small coffin shaped package under the tree...fully expected when I opened it that there would be an artist's easel in there, along with who knows what other paints and brushes and spatulas and.....well, you get the idea.

You could have knocked me over when it turned out to be a classical guitar.  I have ABSOLUTELY NO musical training, cheated myself out of the only chance I had in public school to be in a music class and by the time the need to satisfy the requirements a Bachelor's degree came around, I was already a music affecionado and didn't want anyone telling me what music to listen to or what I ought to like, so I took the art appreciation class instead of music.  Boy, was I screwed [B)] !

I figured I'd better learn to play the thing, at least a little, or I'd piss her off.

5 years later, I lost the wife to a divorce, 12 years later I lost the classical guitar to a burglar.  Sure do miss the guitar [:0] !!

As for why I keep at it, it's one of the things in life at which I feel the most successful.  I'm far better than I ever imagined I could be when I opened that package in December, 1972....no need to stop now!!!

Cheers from....

Dugly [8D]

YerDugliness, Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, retired & attempting to age disgracefully!!
Washburns: WD32SW, D61SW, and C124SW
Other fine acoustic guitars by Breedlove (custom shop Revival Series 000), Darren Hippner (#506), Takamini (2005 LTD), Epiphone (Masterbilt AJ500RC), and Yamaha (G231-II)

YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,D62SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

• View Profile
Why do you play?
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2011, 06:00:54 AM »
Dugly,
Seems women have a thing about it! Tuesday I left my work little earlier, and I knew we had to walk the dogs, something I was absolutely lazy for. Got my Hofma H285G (a brasilian maker manufacturing in Korea at the same Ibanez factory; check at www. hofma.com.br) and went to my music professor's house. Guess who knocked the door an hour later??!! Wife, willing to know how to play too. We were playing some Clapton riffs, she got an old strat like guitar, got the base and did pretty well.
Hey, that's my time, this is a man thing!!
Regardless!

Mauro