Username: Password:

Author Topic: TUNE UP OR TUNE DOWN  (Read 2629 times)

Offline piebaldpython

• View Profile
TUNE UP OR TUNE DOWN
« on: December 15, 2010, 08:22:54 PM »
Is it better to tune down to Open D or tune up to Open E on an acoustic guitar?  Does it even matter?

Offline jerryaubrey

• View Profile
TUNE UP OR TUNE DOWN
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 04:00:38 AM »
I think it is better and safer to tune down to D as tuning up to E will put more tension on the neck.You can always put a capo on the 2nd fret if you want the song in the key of E.Sorry if I'm stating the bleedin' obvious.
D also has a lovely rich sound...This is of course subjective.
Hope this helps...Jerry

Offline BraxtonCleburne

• View Profile
TUNE UP OR TUNE DOWN
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 11:44:17 AM »
I agree with Jerry.  Tuning up to E can put stress on neck and bridge, especially if you leave your git tuned up for a long time.
Washburn R319SWKK
Lakewood M-M
Bruno Barnes 2010
DiGiorgio Student 18

Offline piebaldpython

• View Profile
TUNE UP OR TUNE DOWN
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 02:33:59 PM »
Thanks, that's what I thought.  Don't know where I heard this...but I heard that you tune DOWN on acoustics and UP on electrics (Duane Allman, Derek Trucks and Sonny Landreth) play in Open E.

Offline Quinn Spalpeen

• View Profile
TUNE UP OR TUNE DOWN
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 03:01:47 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by piebaldpython

Thanks, that's what I thought.  Don't know where I heard this...but I heard that you tune DOWN on acoustics and UP on electrics (Duane Allman, Derek Trucks and Sonny Landreth) play in Open E.

Allman, Trucks, and Landreth play in open E because the model they all use is Elmore James. A common ancestor so to speak. Lowell George also was rooted in Elmore James' style of playing, he also used open E, (as were most of the great slide players of the 60's and 70's and 80's.)

Tuning up to open E actually doesn't put that much extra tension on the bridge, etc.  No more than going from light gauge to medium gauge strings.  You should decide which to use by deciding which voicings and patterns throughout the fretboard are most useful to you, your style and your genre.  

Digital Piano
Marshall AS50D
Fender Super Champ XD
Nothing under the sun is new Watson. .... Sherlock Holmes

Washburn F10S (From Funky Munky, no G.C. stuff for me.)
Martin 00-15
Martin 000-28
Trinity College Bouzouki
Raul Emiliani Model 928 (Stradivari model)
Scott Cao STV-950 (Hellier model)
Eastman Master Model 905 (Stradivari model)
Roland F-110

Offline Quinn Spalpeen

• View Profile
TUNE UP OR TUNE DOWN
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 03:11:58 PM »
P.S.  The higher tension with an open E tuning may actually help your playing some,,,

I just remembered when I first started dabbling in slide guitar,,, the open E was easier to get consistent control and sound from.... the higher tension kind of balances out the heavy handedness of first beginning. Digital Piano
Marshall AS50D
Fender Super Champ XD
Nothing under the sun is new Watson. .... Sherlock Holmes

Washburn F10S (From Funky Munky, no G.C. stuff for me.)
Martin 00-15
Martin 000-28
Trinity College Bouzouki
Raul Emiliani Model 928 (Stradivari model)
Scott Cao STV-950 (Hellier model)
Eastman Master Model 905 (Stradivari model)
Roland F-110

Offline comicvent

• View Profile
    • http://www.comicvent.com
TUNE UP OR TUNE DOWN
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 02:51:53 PM »
Wow a topic dear to my heart.  I strictly play in DADGAD,DADGCD & DADGBD for the most part.  It just feels more natural to me.  I taught myself Gimmie Shelter Michael Hedges style in DADGAD.  I am still working out the kinks but with my D9C it really has a deep rich sound.

Cheers,
Lawrence E. Harris

Offline Hawthorn

• View Profile
TUNE UP OR TUNE DOWN
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2010, 04:40:52 PM »
Most of the books claim that Robert Johnson tuned up. I tune down for the reasons already given, but also because tuning up is more likely to break your strings!

Offline thomas.breitfeller

• View Profile
TUNE UP OR TUNE DOWN
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 10:09:52 AM »
I keep my acoustics a full step down as well. But I also play a lot of Elliott Smith songs and need a capo for all different keys. :)
a future butterfly, gonna spend the day higher than high, you'll be beautiful confusion