Username: Password:

Author Topic: D10SCE Strings  (Read 5356 times)

Offline Jaknzax

• View Profile
D10SCE Strings
« on: December 27, 2010, 05:08:11 PM »
What size strings does my new D10SCE come with 11s or 12s and what kind of strings do you recommend for this model of Washburn?

Offline Quinn Spalpeen

• View Profile
D10SCE Strings
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 08:53:11 PM »
Hi there Jaknzax. Congrats on the new guitar.  I'm sure it came with light gauge strings, the 11's.  As far as recommending a brand, any and all will have a different 'favorite'.  Try several different brands, Martin, D'addario, etc, and you'll find that one will strike you as better.  You can forgo any of the high priced sets, at least for a while,,,,, As one of our more knowledgeable members says: strings are strings.

I use D'addario EJ-16, they are my current favorite, but someone else will prefer another brand,,, neither is right or wrong.  The one you like the best is the right one.

Digital Piano
Marshall AS50D
Fender Super Champ XD
Nothing under the sun is new Watson. .... Sherlock Holmes

Washburn F10S (From Funky Munky, no G.C. stuff for me.)
Martin 00-15
Martin 000-28
Trinity College Bouzouki
Raul Emiliani Model 928 (Stradivari model)
Scott Cao STV-950 (Hellier model)
Eastman Master Model 905 (Stradivari model)
Roland F-110

Offline Jaknzax

• View Profile
D10SCE Strings
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 09:20:44 PM »
Thanks I thought that might be the case . I have been using Ernie Ball Super Slinky 11s Acoustic Strings and I'll try those

Offline DontTreadOnMe

• View Profile
D10SCE Strings
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 10:38:27 PM »
I've tried the EJ-16's recently and really like the sound but will see on how long they last.  Also have some Martin's on the D43S that I got from Pike that sound great and have held their sound.

Guitars, I have a few - but then again, too few to mention

Offline mswhat298

• View Profile
D10SCE Strings
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 12:17:24 PM »
I have been using Martin (standard) lights on my WD10S and they're pretty good.  May try another brand, these don't seem to keep their ring very long.  But I'm pretty much sold on the light gauge...not too light not too heavy.  ; )

quote:
Originally posted by Jaknzax

What size strings does my new D10SCE come with 11s or 12s and what kind of strings do you recommend for this model of Washburn?

Offline Jaknzax

• View Profile
D10SCE Strings
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 01:14:32 PM »
I called customer support and the guy said they came with 12s stock from the factory. I ordered some Ernie Ball Acoustic Slinkys (.012).
I have been using the Ernie Ball Super Slinky Acoustic on another acoustic I have. They last a good six months without any irregalities in the tuning.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 08:19:16 AM by Jaknzax »

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
D10SCE Strings
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2010, 02:29:53 PM »
As Quinn says, we all have our favorites...mine are Dean Markley Alchemy Goldbronze.  On my guits with laminate sides and backs (none right now) I found that the .012-.054 sets worked out best, on my all solid wood guitars I favor the .011-.052's.  The .012-.054's seem to overdrive the soundboard on my all-solid wood guitars, a perception perhaps related to the more rigid (and therefore more efficient at reflecting the sound back out of the body) nature of the guitars with laminate sides and backs.

I found that on my WD32S (laminate sides and backs) the .012-.054's held their tone for 2 years and once up to tune, they hardly EVER needed retuning.....yes, they are expensive (over $12 a set at most GC type outlets), but as I have to replace them much less frequently, that makes them an economical choice.  I'd report on other guits, but I haven't had any strung with the light gauge strings for much more than a year (but they still hold their tone and tune very well, at that).

There are many among us who just love the sound of a new set of guitar strings and since they are fairly inexpensive, I'd agree with the advice to play strings of many brands.  You'll eventually figure out what brands meet the requirements that are important to you (longevity is important to me b/c I have quite a few guitars).

Cheers from.....

Dugly [8D]

YerDugliness, Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, retired & attempting to age disgracefully!!
Washburns: WD32SW, D61SW, and C124SW
Other fine acoustic guitars by Breedlove (custom shop Revival Series 000), Darren Hippner (#506), Takamini (2005 LTD), Epiphone (Masterbilt AJ500RC), and Yamaha (G231-II)

YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,D62SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline Rocket

• View Profile
D10SCE Strings
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2010, 03:14:07 PM »
Strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings-R-strings.

Offline YerDugliness

• View Profile
D10SCE Strings
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2010, 06:40:41 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Rocket

Strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings, strings-R-strings.

I'm a licensed speech pathologist, Rocket, I can probably help you with that stutter [:D]

Cheers from.....

Dugly [8D]
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline DontTreadOnMe

• View Profile
D10SCE Strings
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2010, 07:55:58 PM »
quote:

..., strings, strings-R-strings.

but sometimes, people like to talk about them anyway...

Offline Rocket

• View Profile
D10SCE Strings
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2010, 08:03:24 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe

but sometimes, people like to talk about them anyway...

So talk... who's stopping you, (or anyone else?)
My words are just as valid as yours here.

Offline DontTreadOnMe

• View Profile
D10SCE Strings
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2010, 11:29:55 PM »
quote:

So talk... who's stopping you, (or anyone else?)
My words are just as valid as yours here.

Nobody's stopping me, and I don't see where I was questioning the validity of your words.

Offline YerDugliness

• View Profile
D10SCE Strings
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2010, 09:45:35 AM »
With a steady supply of noobs, most of whom don't seem to favor using the search function (although, I'd agree with them on this topic....imagine how many hits they'd get if they just did a search for strings), perhaps we could approach Nick with the suggestion that the topic be addressed by a sticky at the top of the forum? That way they could find out which gauge strings their guits were fitted with at the factory, get a bit of a taste of the differing opinions regarding the topic, that sort of thing, without stirring up the pot over and over again (not that there is anything wrong with that [:D] ).

Cheers from.....

Dugly [8D]

YerDugliness, Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, retired & attempting to age disgracefully!!
Washburns: WD32SW, D61SW, and C124SW
Other fine acoustic guitars by Breedlove (custom shop Revival Series 000), Darren Hippner (#506), Takamini (2005 LTD), Epiphone (Masterbilt AJ500RC), and Yamaha (G231-II)

« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 09:46:17 AM by YerDugliness »

Offline Pike

• View Profile
D10SCE Strings
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2010, 10:23:30 AM »
I prefer Martin SP phosphor bronze lights.

Offline Jaknzax

• View Profile
D10SCE Strings
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2010, 12:15:51 PM »
Imagine going to a post where the somebodies are..maybe you could do a search on You Tube or something YerDugliness