Username: Password:

Author Topic: New D56SW coming!  (Read 2040 times)

Offline harmonycs

• View Profile
New D56SW coming!
« on: December 31, 2010, 03:58:39 PM »
I just ordered a D56SW from Musicians Friend (I know... but 45 day return policy!).  I hope it pleases me as I am expecting it to.  This was a tough decision as I was also considering a D52SW, J28sdl, and Guild GAD series.  I almost bought a J28SCEDL MVP until the dealer informed me of his new No Return, No Exchange policy when I asked him to clarify the terms of the policy stated on his website.  My first interest was actually the D52SWCE anyway until I came to realize that I didn't need electronics, sooo...lol.  Besides, ya gotta love those solid woods! I decided to go with the D56SW because I love the sound and looks of rosewood but have yet to have one, and because I want a high quality dread.  Although the most popular body style, I feel they are overlooked and  under-appreciated by many as a darn versatile instrument. Does anyone else have one (D56SW)?  Are you completely happy with it?  What styles do you play?  I will let you know how happy/pleased I am with it when it arrives and then again a short while after.  And hopefully again years from now[8D]!  I guess I will soon be another proud member of the Timbercraft Brigade![:D]  Now don't worry Cumberland Brigade, as I am bound to get GAS again and I could also use a Jumbo[8D]! I have to wait awhile though[}:)].  Best Wishes and Happy New Year to all!

Offline Pike

• View Profile
New D56SW coming!
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 05:55:19 PM »
Congrats and welcome! Be sure to post some pics...

Offline harmonycs

• View Profile
New D56SW coming!
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 07:41:08 PM »
Thanks.  I will post some pics soon.  Any thoughts at all about the D56SW are welcome.

Offline DontTreadOnMe

• View Profile
New D56SW coming!
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 08:23:00 PM »
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the D56SW.  I've got a D56SWCE and absolutely love it. The Rosewood is gorgeous and it sounds awesome.

What other guitars do you own?  You mentioned the Timbercraft Brigade - have you been around the forum for awhile?

Guitars, I have a few - but then again, too few to mention

Offline harmonycs

• View Profile
New D56SW coming!
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 09:18:57 PM »
no, but I've read quite a few threads from the forum that I came across during my internet searches while researching the guitars I was interested in.  As far as other guitars...well nothing as nice as these, just an Ovation Celebrity model that I never fully got comfortable with as the round back bothered me (and recently developed intonation problems); and also an old parlor type - a Teiscen/Checkmate that has served me quite well over the years believe it or not.  According to my brother I used to be a very good guitar player(I'd say decent)and I have developed a renewed interest in playing so I figured it was time for a better guitar. So I guess I also have too few to mention.  How does yours sound acoustically?  I have read the D52SW can hold its own with Martins.  Do you share that sentiment regarding the D56SW and D56SWCE?  Also, do you know what the differences are between our models and the bluegrass D64SW Timbercraft aside from the body bindings?  Thanks for the welcome and congrats along with your input.

Offline DontTreadOnMe

• View Profile
New D56SW coming!
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010, 10:02:58 PM »

that's basically how I got started on the forum, had a GAS attack and started doing searches.  I agree on the Ovation - I stored one for a friend that was working in Europe and found that you had to really hug it to keep it in your lap.  

Sound is so subjective, and I haven't done a side-by-side comparison with a Martin so can't comment.  I love how mine sounds so I really don't care how it compares to a Martin/Taylor/Guild, etc. I've got 4 Washburn Dreads - D12S, D12SCE, D43S and D56SWCE and a 3/4 scale B52SW.  What I can say about the D12S vs. D12SCE is that the cutaway does take away some volume and sustain, and I knew that when I bought my D56.  

I don't know about the differnces with the D64SW.

Guitars, I have a few - but then again, too few to mention

Offline Quinn Spalpeen

• View Profile
New D56SW coming!
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 09:53:42 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by harmonycs

Thanks.  I will post some pics soon.  Any thoughts at all about the D56SW are welcome.

Your thoughts will be welcomed also. Digital Piano
Marshall AS50D
Fender Super Champ XD
Nothing under the sun is new Watson. .... Sherlock Holmes

Washburn F10S (From Funky Munky, no G.C. stuff for me.)
Martin 00-15
Martin 000-28
Trinity College Bouzouki
Raul Emiliani Model 928 (Stradivari model)
Scott Cao STV-950 (Hellier model)
Eastman Master Model 905 (Stradivari model)
Roland F-110

Offline Quinn Spalpeen

• View Profile
New D56SW coming!
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2011, 09:58:44 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by harmonycs

Also, do you know what the differences are between our models and the bluegrass D64SW Timbercraft aside from the body bindings?

I looked quickly but couldn't find it right off hand.  Rocket wrote a very detailed review of the D64SW a while back,,,, anyone else able to find it? Digital Piano
Marshall AS50D
Fender Super Champ XD
Nothing under the sun is new Watson. .... Sherlock Holmes

Washburn F10S (From Funky Munky, no G.C. stuff for me.)
Martin 00-15
Martin 000-28
Trinity College Bouzouki
Raul Emiliani Model 928 (Stradivari model)
Scott Cao STV-950 (Hellier model)
Eastman Master Model 905 (Stradivari model)
Roland F-110