Username: Password:

Author Topic: Help Me Choose a Guitar...  (Read 7022 times)

Offline Ready3Buy

• View Profile
Help Me Choose a Guitar...
« on: January 04, 2011, 08:32:10 AM »
I played a WD10 at the store and it's great. But it's the only Washburn they had and I'm not willing to spend the hours going to other stores especially when I can't compare them all side by side.

I'm willing to spend up to $500 ... are there other models that I'd find play/sound even much better? (or are they all basically the same for each series with ornamental differences? ... plain is super fine with me an shape doesn't matter... for example do the WD and WF play/sound any different? )

Offline DontTreadOnMe

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 09:45:09 AM »
Thomas, this being a Washburn forum, it's best to reserve comments, especially recommendations, to Washburn products.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 09:48:11 AM by DontTreadOnMe »
Guitars, I have a few - but then again, too few to mention

Offline thomas.breitfeller

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 09:48:59 AM »
oops, sorry, i removed the post.
a future butterfly, gonna spend the day higher than high, you'll be beautiful confusion

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 09:52:40 AM »
okay i found a real steal for ya. A Washburn D52SWCEK and for a really good price at instrumentpro. Its under 500 and all solid wood and its acoustic-electric. great deal
a future butterfly, gonna spend the day higher than high, you'll be beautiful confusion

Offline DontTreadOnMe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 10:04:51 AM »
No problem Thomas.  The solid wood guitars can be finicky with temperature and humidity, so although they generally sound better they may not be the best choice.  The WD10 with laminate sides and back will be very stable.  

Ready3buy, if you've played a WD10 and think it's great and it's in your budget, and you don't want to spend hours running around...  sounds like the WD10 meets your criteria. Just checking, but did you play the WD10 or WD10S?  Only difference is the WD10S has a solid top which will sound better with age, the laminate top will always pretty much be the same.

You can find guitars that sound and play different, but relying on someone's opinion versus your personal experience may not suit what you're looking for.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 10:08:34 AM by DontTreadOnMe »

Offline Quinn Spalpeen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 10:05:07 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by thomas.breitfeller

okay i found a real steal for ya. A Washburn D52SWCEK and for a really good price at instrumentpro. Its under 500 and all solid wood and its acoustic-electric. great deal

Good luck with them actually really surely maybe possibly definitely having one in stock.

But they will be glad to sell you one, gladly not have it and gladly talk you into buying something else after you place your order. Digital Piano
Marshall AS50D
Fender Super Champ XD
Nothing under the sun is new Watson. .... Sherlock Holmes

Washburn F10S (From Funky Munky, no G.C. stuff for me.)
Martin 00-15
Martin 000-28
Trinity College Bouzouki
Raul Emiliani Model 928 (Stradivari model)
Scott Cao STV-950 (Hellier model)
Eastman Master Model 905 (Stradivari model)
Roland F-110

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 10:55:07 AM »
really, that is pretty awful. I've never purchased from them I just looked for the best price for that instrument. And for don't tread on me, I agree that solid wood could be tricky with temperature/humidity, but from anywhere from $9-50 dollars you can get a guitar humidifier, but that's just me. Laminate is stable, and the sound does not change, very much agreed.

Offline Ready3Buy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 11:17:13 AM »
Called Washburn and they confirmed that if you're not accustomed to talking care of a fine guitar the all solid wood isn't a good choice. I'm getting the WD10S. Thanks folks.

Offline Quinn Spalpeen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 11:25:17 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Ready3Buy

I'm getting the WD10S. Thanks folks.

Be sure to check with Jon at Funky Munky Music.  He's a forum member and might be able to give you a very good price deal.

Digital Piano
Marshall AS50D
Fender Super Champ XD
Nothing under the sun is new Watson. .... Sherlock Holmes

Washburn F10S (From Funky Munky, no G.C. stuff for me.)
Martin 00-15
Martin 000-28
Trinity College Bouzouki
Raul Emiliani Model 928 (Stradivari model)
Scott Cao STV-950 (Hellier model)
Eastman Master Model 905 (Stradivari model)
Roland F-110

Offline DontTreadOnMe

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 11:33:02 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Ready3Buy

Called Washburn and they confirmed that if you're not accustomed to talking care of a fine guitar the all solid wood isn't a good choice. I'm getting the WD10S. Thanks folks.

cool - when you get it, post up some pics, it's always good to see photo's of actual guitars instead of just the catalog/online pics.

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 12:03:19 PM »
glad you made a final choice, happy strumming :)

Offline Pining

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2011, 03:09:49 AM »
It is nice to hear you have decided on your guitar. Have fun with it.
For temperature to have an adverse effect on a new solid guitar you purchase, you would have to live in an unusual climate, take poor care of the guitar, orhave purchased a lemon.
The benefits of solid outway the benefits of laminate by a long way. It's why you pay extra.
There is certainly nothing wrong with laminate, it is not as good as solid, though.

Offline DontTreadOnMe

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2011, 10:05:29 AM »
Not saying that a solid wood guitar is not manageable or that it's difficult, just that they can be finicky.  Good/Better/Best is very relative in guitars.  If I'm sitting outside by a campfire on a cool night or out on a beach, my choice would be a laminate guitar every time, so for me that would be the best guitar.  

I can pick up either of my D12's any time of the day, any day of the week and they are in tune 95+% of the time, which makes them my choice for daily play.  My solid woods get played a few times a week as well but usually require a tuning. Love the sound, and not that tuning takes much effort, just like to grab a guitar and play.  

Offline Pining

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2011, 03:48:24 AM »
THen you haven't got a Maton or Cole Clark, DTOM.

Offline DontTreadOnMe

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2011, 08:40:24 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Pining

THen you haven't got a Maton or Cole Clark, DTOM.

Nope, and the odds of me getting one are directly proportional to the odds for the lottery...