Username: Password:

Author Topic: WD10SCE - Why does Washburn not offer a case?  (Read 8489 times)

Offline Dadeostery

• View Profile
WD10SCE - Why does Washburn not offer a case?
« on: January 07, 2011, 07:33:00 AM »
I want to buy a WD10SCE but Washburn no longer includes a case with the 10 series.  In fact, no dealer has a Washburn case.  Not sure what Washburn is thinking by not including the case.  Anyone know of a dealer that still sells Washburn cases?
Fender American Standard Strat
Martin D-28
Martin 000-28
Gibson J45

Offline Quinn Spalpeen

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 09:49:35 AM »
Any number of dealers would have a dread case.  If you mean a Washburn brand case, that might be challenging. But their hard cases aren't really hard cases, more flimsy than a true hard case.

What they are thinking?  Whatever it takes to get price tag down.  But that's not so bad, when you consider that any guitar that comes with a hard shell case, from any company will be the $1000.00 plus range.  With only one or two exceptions, the best you can hope for is a gig bag. Digital Piano
Marshall AS50D
Fender Super Champ XD
Nothing under the sun is new Watson. .... Sherlock Holmes

Washburn F10S (From Funky Munky, no G.C. stuff for me.)
Martin 00-15
Martin 000-28
Trinity College Bouzouki
Raul Emiliani Model 928 (Stradivari model)
Scott Cao STV-950 (Hellier model)
Eastman Master Model 905 (Stradivari model)
Roland F-110

Offline Dadeostery

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 10:20:25 AM »
Thanks for your reply.

Lowering the price tag is understandable but why not simply decouple the guitar and case?  Buy the guitar for X$ and if you want a case, another Y$.  By not offering the option of a case, it puts the burden on the customer to find a case of reasonable quality that fits the WD10SCE.

Can you recommend a hardshell dreadnaught case?
Martin D-28
Martin 000-28
Gibson J45

Offline Jaknzax

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 11:12:34 AM »
This is the one I got last month with a Washburn hard case. Awesome guitar and Washburn case for $299

http://www.worldmusicsupply.com/Washburn-D10SRCE-Limited-Edition.html
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 11:13:24 AM by Jaknzax »

Offline Quinn Spalpeen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 11:16:35 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Dadeostery

Can you recommend a hardshell dreadnaught case?

http://elderly.com/accessories/cat_or_pgc_page?cat=CSGT&cat_or_pgc=CSGT&brandname=CANADIAN&instock_only=&sort_on=sort_price_low Digital Piano
Marshall AS50D
Fender Super Champ XD
Nothing under the sun is new Watson. .... Sherlock Holmes

Washburn F10S (From Funky Munky, no G.C. stuff for me.)
Martin 00-15
Martin 000-28
Trinity College Bouzouki
Raul Emiliani Model 928 (Stradivari model)
Scott Cao STV-950 (Hellier model)
Eastman Master Model 905 (Stradivari model)
Roland F-110

Offline Gitfiddle

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 02:17:05 PM »
My D10 is in a Roadrunner Gig Bag.  My Yamaha is in a Gog Bg too.  My Tacoma DM10 is in a hard case (it goes on airlines).  My Gibson is in a hard case ($90)  SO is my Washburn J6.  The Hamer Newport custom pro came in a hard case.   Where are taking the guitar and what do you plan to do with it??   Some activities are harder on guitars than others.

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 02:53:04 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Jaknzax

This is the one I got last month with a Washburn hard case. Awesome guitar and Washburn case for $299

I was wondering what you think of this guitar and case? I just bought today ,D10S Ltd Edition Electric, Sunburst gloss finish,300.00.  It will ship on Monday. I have the WD10SCE, have you been able to compare the two?  I bought mine from the same place. I take it from there 100% pos,feedback you are happy with your purchase from them.hope I can say the same, as I hate buying from new places to me.

Offline Dadeostery

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 09:00:41 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Gitfiddle

My D10 is in a Roadrunner Gig Bag.  My Yamaha is in a Gog Bg too.  My Tacoma DM10 is in a hard case (it goes on airlines).  My Gibson is in a hard case ($90)  SO is my Washburn J6.  The Hamer Newport custom pro came in a hard case.   Where are taking the guitar and what do you plan to do with it??   Some activities are harder on guitars than others.

Valid point.  I put guitars in my car quite a bit.  I played in a band when I was a teen and the other guitarist and I jam frequently so the guitar would need some protection.
Martin D-28
Martin 000-28
Gibson J45

Offline Jaknzax

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 12:35:02 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by t.y.

quote:
Originally posted by Jaknzax

I was wondering what you think of this guitar and case? I just bought today ,D10S Ltd Edition Electric, Sunburst gloss finish,300.00.  It will ship on Monday. I have the WD10SCE, have you been able to compare the two?  I bought mine from the same place. I take it from there 100% pos,feedback you are happy with your purchase from them.hope I can say the same, as I hate buying from new places to me.

I'm really happy with it and think you will be too. Let us know when you get it and what you think as well. The people at WMS were great and the guitar is a steal for the price. The case is great too

Offline WB-Nick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.washburn.com
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2011, 07:16:27 PM »
of course we offer cases.  For Dreadnought, ask your dealer for GC110 or GCDN.

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2011, 05:49:43 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by WB-Nick

of course we offer cases.  For Dreadnought, ask your dealer for GC110 or GCDN.

WB-Nick,  is one of these the same case that comes with the ,D10SRCEK?   Tom.  yes gc110, nice case.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 11:04:42 PM by t.y. »

Offline Jaknzax

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 10:25:25 AM »
The only negative about the D10sce is a plastic saddle will definately need to be replaced, also the bridge pins are cheap. Also I made some strap buttons and installed them..I haven't had a wasburn before , but it seems a guitar with a MFRP of $700-$800 the saddle and bridge pins whould be decent..come on man!

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2011, 09:08:12 AM »
jaknzax- Just wondering how you are likeing this guitar? I have never had mine set up yet, as it plays really well.but someday I want bone nut and saddle. I was wanting to find out if you ever had the nut and saddle and pins changed out, and if so what kind of difference did it make?  Tom[:)]

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2011, 10:26:34 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by t.y.

jaknzax- Just wondering how you are likeing this guitar? I have never had mine set up yet, as it plays really well.but someday I want bone nut and saddle. I was wanting to find out if you ever had the nut and saddle and pins changed out, and if so what kind of difference did it make?  Tom[:)]

Typically the greatest improvement in sound will come from the saddle, which will more efficiently couple the vibration of the strings to the soundboard, which is the part of the guitar that creates MOST the sound.

Whether or not a bone nut offers any improvement in sound has been an issue of a fair amount of discussion around here.  Personally I like to change out the nut when I change the saddle for appearance sake, but IMHO there is a longevity issue re: bone nuts.  The wound strings on a steel string guitar can act like a small rat-tail file on the slots in the nut as as the strings get tuned up...plastic nut can develop problems with insufficient string height at the nut over time, a bone nut will not wear away like a plastic nut.  IMHO, the bone nut does offer increased sustain, but only on the open strings, as the nut is essentially bypassed when a string is fretted.

Bone pins....even MORE disagreement over whether there will be a positive effect on the guitar's sound/playability.  I could see that there could be some miniscule improvement, but perhaps it's just b/c I want to hear an improvement for having spent the $$...6 bridge pins are expensive, more so than the nut and saddle combined.

One of the disadvantages of bone bridge pins is that the bone IS so hard.  Normally this is an advantage, but if you push the pin into the hole on the bridge with too much pressure, you stand a chance of cracking the bridge through the area of the bridge pins. Many of us prefer rosewood or ebony bridge pins b/c they are of a material that is slightly more forgiving than bone.

My new WMJ11S came from the factory with bone nut and saddle (I did the hot pin test, there is no doubt they are bone). It has the best out-of-the-box sound of any of my Washburns, and it is the least expensive.

Revisiting bridge pins....I like to order matching bridge pins, end pin and strap button.  The end-pin can be expensive, but so are the bridge pins...but you can add some bling to an otherwise plain guitar if you order the abalone dots on them all.

Cheers from.....

Dugly [8D]

YerDugliness, Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, retired & attempting to age disgracefully!!
Washburns: WD32SW, D61SW, C124SW, and WMJ 11S
Other fine acoustic guitars by Breedlove (custom shop Revival Series 000), Darren Hippner (#506), Takamini (2005 LTD), Epiphone (Masterbilt AJ500RC), and Yamaha (G231-II)

YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2011, 09:25:31 PM »
YerDugliness, thanks that is a lot to think on and study over. In my mind I was thinking of just the saddle.As it now has Nu bone or whatever its called. Tom.[:)]