Username: Password:

Author Topic: d-64 prototype?  (Read 1949 times)

Offline thomas.breitfeller

• View Profile
d-64 prototype?
« on: January 02, 2011, 03:52:36 PM »
First thread

I found a solid wood Washburn D-64 prototype on eBay from a seller themusicfarm, who is an authorized Washburn/Dean dealer. Solid spruce top, solid mahogany back and sides ebony fingerboard, the buzz Feiten tuning system, bone nut and saddle, and Grover Sta-Tite tuners.  
I got it for 270 by auction. Luckily for me there wasnt too many bidders to try to buy me out. They had another one up there for 750 buy it now. Great deal for a solid wood guitar. apparently its a private collection and I can't find this prototype any where. I'm supposed to get it in the mail on tuesday or wednesday. I hope I have a good washburn experience. I loved my dads nuno n4 electric.

Any one else come across one? I'm not too worried on taking the chance, they are an authorized dealer and a store. I'm excited to receive the guitar.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 05:16:12 PM by thomas.breitfeller »
a future butterfly, gonna spend the day higher than high, you'll be beautiful confusion

Offline DontTreadOnMe

• View Profile
d-64 prototype?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 07:15:56 AM »
Welcome to the forum Thomas.  There's various reasons for prototypes.  The D64 series has been around awhile, so either a new variant or a new factory is what I would guess the reason for the prototype.

Just a few words of caution - Make sure to check with Washburn about the warranty since it's a prototype, don't rely on what that dealer tells you. Just because they are an authorized dealer doesn't necessarily mean they are reputable or respected. Opinions vary. Get it checked out by a local luthier to make sure everything is right.  Sometimes the prototypes are not made to final specs and there can be irregularities in the finish or construction.  After all it's a Prototype, not a production model.

I hope it works out for you and you're happy with it, because in the end that's what matters. Sounds like you're prepared to return it if you're not happy, so just be ready to do so if it's not what you wanted.  

Guitars, I have a few - but then again, too few to mention

• View Profile
d-64 prototype?
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 08:10:53 AM »
Absolutely, thanks for the input. I was gonna plan on getting it checked out to make sure its solid wood, otherwise I'd be leaving some neg. feedback. As far as the finish, i'm not to concerned. My main concern is the sound and if I'm not happy with that, I'm going to go back to saving for the epiphone masterbilt ef-500m or ef-500r.
Thanks!
a future butterfly, gonna spend the day higher than high, you'll be beautiful confusion

• View Profile
d-64 prototype?
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 12:18:04 PM »
Big disappointment with the prototype. #1 it wasn't solid wood, #2 the neck was  bowed and all the way from low e to high e on the 13th and 14th fret was dead frets/fretbuzz/. I will be returning this, sadly. :(
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 12:18:20 PM by thomas.breitfeller »