Username: Password:

Author Topic: "The Washburn" acoustic guitar.  (Read 2278 times)

Offline Tamayo

• View Profile
"The Washburn" acoustic guitar.
« on: December 26, 2010, 10:28:12 PM »
Hello. I'm new. So I have new questions. :)
Can anybody tell me about this oldie? Here are a few pics. Thanks!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/57503047@N05/?saved=1

binder1

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 02:59:16 AM »
Look at the top of the headstock.  There might be a 3 digit number stamped there. (I think the 3 digit number is the style or model number)  It looks like the bridge has been replaced and it looks like the body has been refinished at some time.  If it hasn't been refinished, then the guitar is in remarkable condition for it's age.

Offline Tamayo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 07:59:28 PM »
Beside the number inside the guitar I can't find a single thing. A few years ago I took it to a luthier in my area and he said that for $300 he could make it playable again and take off the lacquer that someone sprayed all over the guitar. Still debating if should do it and then sell it?

binder1

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 03:31:31 AM »
I don't know if you could get your money back if you had it refinished and made it playable again. I don't know much about vintage Washburn guitars but what little I've learned has come from a book called Washburn Pre-War Instrument Styles. If you don't get a response here, try asking Jim Smith Sr. at;

info@americanmstudios.com

He's always answered my questions about the 2 vintage instruments my father left to me.

Offline calvin82

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 09:15:38 PM »
Don't know much about the value of the refinish, but I'd be playing it if I had it.  Also, thanks to binder1 for the hook-up to Jim Smith.  Hope to find out more about my own Lyon & Healy Washburn as a result.  Love mine and want more, even though I don't need them!
stomper