Username: Password:

Author Topic: padauk/ebony N4 re-fret problems  (Read 1835 times)

Offline fretstain

• View Profile
padauk/ebony N4 re-fret problems
« on: January 19, 2011, 10:28:45 PM »
I have an early 90's Washburn N4 Padauk which needs frets.

All the frets have been taken out by my guitar tech, and when he went to replace them the fret tangs are too long and the ebony fingerboard is too thin to take the new frets. This has been attempted with several gauges of fretwire, and it has been in shop for nearly 2 years.

(I am in the process of getting the exact dimensions.)

I am very hopeful someone here has had the same issue, and knows the exact type of fret wire required.

If thats not the case, do I have to start thinking about replacing the whole fingerboard?

Any tips at all would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 11:14:48 PM by fretstain »

Offline greygoose625

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 09:28:55 PM »
I would find a new guitar tech.  to have the guitar in the shop 2 years is unacceptable.  The cost to repair the guitar may exceed the value.....that needs explored before moving forward.

I had a friend give me a 1972 Martin 12 string guitar....she received it new for high school graduation and didn't play it......left it tuned so the bridge was starting to break loose and the pick guard was warping.  I took the guitar to an authorized repair station and the guy tried to tell me it needed fret repair......I'm a woman, but not stupid and I also know guitars........I've seen many frets ruined from improperly filing  them and never have seen frets worn out......frets wearing out take many years of steady playing.........janeguitar.com

Offline Rocket

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 09:48:38 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by greygoose625

...frets wearing out take many years of steady playing.

True for stainless steel fretwire... not always true for other (softer) fretwire material as capo players learn the hard way when leaving it clamped on.