Username: Password:

Author Topic: WSJ125K Limited Series  (Read 5587 times)

Offline jdrose

• View Profile
WSJ125K Limited Series
« on: January 26, 2011, 12:55:38 PM »
I just purchased my WSJ125k and was surprised to see a serial number that reads like this   Number 47   of    250.  and it came with a certificate with the same number, and a reprint of an 1885 Brochure.  

Since the seller had 10 of these I was a little surprised that one store could have 10 of a 250 limited edition run.  I called customer support and they told me that was the original plan and after #250 they changed their minds and those since have different style serial numbers.  Can anyone vouch for this?
John D. Rose

Offline Bruce Robert Small

• View Profile
WSJ125K Limited Series
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 05:05:06 PM »
I also just purchased the exact same kit. I got #-- out of 250. I personally believe it's a sales tactic. I paid $429. for a guitar that lists for $1149.and made in Indonesia? That alone sends a red flag up. Washburn never fooled me. However I think the guitar is well worth $429.00 It has good action, deep bass, great tone, and very loud for a medium size Jumbo. I chose it over more expensive guitars for the sound alone. As for the 250 scam, I believe it only makes Washburn look bad. They prob. made thousands of them.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 07:50:23 PM by Bruce Robert Small »
Bruce S

Offline jdrose

• View Profile
WSJ125K Limited Series
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 08:27:41 PM »
I called the seller on ebay. (Search WSJ125) He's somewhere in PA and he said he got the last 50 in December for a bulk price because the series was over.  So maybe ours were made 3 guitars apart (LOL).  I restrung it immediately; the originals were rusted.  While I had all the strings off (not considered a good practice) I wiped it down completely with Lemon Oil.  I cant believe how different and rich the wood looks, and how much better it sounds with D'Addario EJ16 Phosphorus/Bronze Light.  I am considering another one just to keep in the case as a collector's item.  He swore it was a 250 piece run and his store sells alot of Washburn so he gets high priority on alot  of their inventory.  I've seen them as high as $700.  Mine was listed as buy now for $429 or make offer.  I paid $399 with Free shipping.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 01:57:50 PM by jdrose »
John D. Rose

• View Profile
WSJ125K Limited Series
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 11:23:53 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by jdrose

I called the seller on ebay. (Search WSJ125) He's somewhere in PA and he said he got the last 50 in December for a bulk price because the series was over.  So maybe ours were made 3 guitars apart (LOL).  I restrung it immediately; the originals were rusted.  While I had all the strings off (not considered a good practice) I wiped it down completely with Lemon Oil.  I cant believe how different and rich the wood looks, and how much better it sounds with D'Addario EJ15 Phosphorus/Bronze Light.  I am considering another one just to keep in the case as a collector's item.  He swore it was a 250 piece run and his store sells alot of Washburn so he gets high priority on alot  of their inventory.  I've seen them as high as $700.  Mine was listed as buy now for $429 or make offer.  I paid $399 with Free shipping.

John D. Rose

Bruce S

• View Profile
WSJ125K Limited Series
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 11:37:57 AM »
Hi John. Yes, looks like we bought from the same seller. I also contacted washburn and asked how many were made. They could not tell me. I see one positive thing, ours are made in Indoniesa. Later issues are made in China. I have been playing this guitar since I got it and just think it's great and fun to play. Hope you enjoy yours as much. Ill let you know if I get ant more history info. But for now Im just loving this guitar.
Bruce S

Offline jdrose

• View Profile
WSJ125K Limited Series
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 02:44:42 PM »
Did you try the lemon oil?  I highly recommend this at a minimum on the fretboard, back of the neck and headstock, sides and back of the body.  This style (aged wood) may require more care than a standard lacqured guitar.  I was amazed at how much the grain jumped out with this lemon oil on it.  I also keep it (and my others) hanging in a bedroom.  In the winter the heat seems to always be on, and in the summer the AC is removing the humidity from the house.  I'd hate for this to cause the wood to crack under the stress.  Even the bridge looks so much better.  Everything soaked up the oil like a stranded person in the middle of the sahara desert.
John D. Rose

• View Profile
WSJ125K Limited Series
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 07:57:35 PM »
Yes, I think lemon oil will be a good idea. I have not put strings on it yet, but mine were also rusted. I'm also going to keep in mind the ones you used. I do like a light string, but dont want to sacrifice volume or the ability to stay in tune. Thanks for the tips! I'll prob. string it next week. I'll let you know how it turns out. I also noticed the string pegs are a natural wood, when all the pictures have abalone (or white) pegs. I'm sure there's some clue as to what we have there.
BTW, some people in UK are reselling as used for $1200.00! Don't quite know what to think about that.
Bruce S

Offline jdrose

• View Profile
WSJ125K Limited Series
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 07:26:59 PM »
I have seen that.  I think they are part of the series but different models....Parlour guitars WSJ124s and others in the antique series.
John D. Rose

• View Profile
WSJ125K Limited Series
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 07:47:20 PM »
Hi John. The lemon oil was a nice touch. I had to go for a light string after all. But it rings loud and true just the same. It sounds much better. I now know more now about this run of guitars we have. I just can't post it on this forum. (more mystery lol). I cant send messages yet because I don't have enough posts. When I am able to, I will send you one with my email address. I've never seen a guitar with so many secrets.
Bruce S

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
WSJ125K Limited Series
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 09:36:00 PM »
Hello all, I am fairly new to guitars, so am not to embarrassed about buying two .LTD, Special Edition guitars. I called WMS, and they bought all the LTD special guitars that were made in this series. but they could not tell me how many. but in the long run , I feel I have two nice guitars  for a nice price.Tom, ps.If I bought all of anything, you can be sure , I would no how many I bought, so somthing is funny.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 10:28:16 PM by t.y. »

Offline nogin007

• View Profile
WSJ125K Limited Series
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2011, 07:55:06 AM »
 I called WMS, and they bought all the LTD special guitars that were made in this series.  I played one of those at my local dealers yesterday. It had the label No. x of 250 inside. The neck was too thin and skinny for my personal taste, so I didn't buy it. The manager said they had bought a couple of them, and had them on sale for half price. They also had a couple of classical guitars of the series. The way the soundhole was painted, I couldn't tell if it had a solid top. Seemed the paint was trying to hide that.

Offline jdrose

• View Profile
WSJ125K Limited Series
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2011, 04:05:13 PM »
Bruce, are you a regular member yet?  I'd like to hear about the mysterys of the WSJ125K
John D. Rose

Offline WB-Nick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.washburn.com
WSJ125K Limited Series
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2011, 02:38:19 PM »
Nogin,
what was the model number?  if it has a solid top it has an S after the number.  For example, WSJ125K is not solid top.

Offline nogin007

• View Profile
WSJ125K Limited Series
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2011, 07:20:57 AM »
I think it was WSJ125K.