Username: Password:

Author Topic: selecting a teacher  (Read 4134 times)

Offline greygoose625

• View Profile
selecting a teacher
« on: January 28, 2011, 10:55:56 PM »
I've heard a lot about using or not using a teacher, but not about selection.

To find a teacher it's good to understand what you want to play..............some students just want to learn a little to amuse them self.........some to jam with friends...........and some to have a career.  Some teachers use tablature and some teach reading.  The serious students that are interested in a formal education in music should learn to read music.  It's not unusual to find country, folk, blues & rockers don't read music.

Find a teacher that teaches.................not a show-off..............not somebody that talkes beyond your level.

Some teachers dump material on students faster than the lesson material can be understood........often the student goes through a  few books and can't play anything.

I always talk to a student before I accept them or they choose me......and I won't teach the ones that are not interested in reading music or learning the fundamentals..........I require my students to use a metronome........I teach music and will not compromise what I believe is the best way to teach........but this not for everybody.

There are students that don't want the formal way and if they understand the difference that's fine too.....they need to find a teacher that will teach that way.

The goal is to get the student to enjoy playing guitar.........as a teacher it's my goal to keep my students interest alive and give them the kowledge so they can reach their goals.

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
selecting a teacher
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 10:50:16 AM »
I'm just curious, Jane....when you take on a beginner, do you start them in the classical position?

I ask b/c I'm a proponent of the classical position here on the forum, but with few exceptions (Junior 88 for one, Greg Jones is another), most of the members seem to view the classical position with varying degrees of disgust. In my experience, once one manages to adopt the classical position, many left-hand difficulties seem to resolve themselves.....yet, there are MANY here on the forum for whom appearance seems to be more important than the fluidity that the classical position seems to provide.

What say you regarding this issue, from your perspective as a teacher?

Cheers from.....

Dugly [8D]

YerDugliness, Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, retired & attempting to age disgracefully!!
Washburns: WD32SW, D61SW, and C124SW
Other fine acoustic guitars by Breedlove (custom shop Revival Series 000), Darren Hippner (#506), Takamini (2005 LTD), Epiphone (Masterbilt AJ500RC), and Yamaha (G231-II)

YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,D62SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline Tio Kimo

• you're never too old to be what you might've been
    • View Profile
selecting a teacher
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 11:25:00 AM »
This is an interesting topic. Dug, as you may recall, i also appreciate that posture, but I'm not married to it. I have realized that my standing guitar height is more consistent with classical orientation than right thigh orientation.

I was thinking of this last night when I was seeing renowned folk guitarists play live, which as you know, I do almost weekly. Without exception, these people use the picking hand thigh as a rest, and they can PLAY...complex alternating bass with three or four fingers picking is the norm. Bluegrass players typically play with a very high guitar while standing, and again, they are absolutely tearing it up.....

interesting contrast. Guess that's all I'm saying.

and I think, with the exception of one notable elder, disgust may be a slight exaggeration. [:D]

this is the guy I saw last night, one of my favorites, been listening to him for twenty years. John Gorka The songwriting is at least as impressive as the guitar, IMHO

And arguably the best bluegrass player out there, doing a straight blues tune, standing. Andy Falco.

http://www.oldtownschool.org/
'95 Washburn D-55SW Cherokee (Bourgeois)
'04 Larrivée LV-03 w/ Fishman blend
'02 Heritage 535
'12 Heritage 150
'10 Larrivée RS-2
'11 Benford Tele
'12 Kirn Barn Buster
Marshall AS50D
Little Lanilei 3350LT
Champlifier
Boogie DC-2

Offline greygoose625

• View Profile
selecting a teacher
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 02:24:51 PM »
I do not teach classical to all my students.....I would require a classical student to use a classical guitar and hold the guitar using a foot rest.  

How to hold the guitar woud be decided with the type of guitar and the music the student wants to play.  I am very open to different typs of music.......I played lead guitar in my high school rock band and did a stint playing bass in a country band......  I teach different styles...even though I perform only classical.....how ever I do choose not to teach students not interested in reading music and learning some theory.

Even if the student does not read music after the lessons the student should understand enough theory to know how to build chords and know what the principal chords are for each key........janeguitar.com

Offline Ripple

• View Profile
selecting a teacher
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 04:00:25 PM »
Being primarily a clarinet player I find it refreshing not to be glued to notation when playing guitar, I do try to integrate any theory knowledge in, and that helps i.e. scales and diotonic progressions, the rest is to me about shapes, and patterns. Not drug induced of course.
Washburn D26S Washburn D60SW  Washburn F15 Alvarez Yairi DYK75P American Standard Srat Buffet R13